VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to take some time while I have it to learn how to encode and run video through filters like I read people talking about.

I also want to know,How small can you encode a whole dvd (menus and everything) into one avi file with best possible quality.I am wanting to encode many of my collection onto an external for safe keeping and viewing later.

Another thing after you make the one file,How do you replace the icon of the avi file to like a icon like a picture of the movie it is.

I need to know what programs to get and filters to use ect..

If there is already a thread/good tut about this than I am sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of "pros" would do this other than to place video on the net?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow,There are several reasons why people would want to know other than posting on the net,Even,If I were to post on the net I could use a simply convert the main movie and place it on the net,Like I said above external,why else would I want to shrink the video file for? Don't ever let anyone tell you your not "smart" ed.

Anyways,I am wanting to use this in my car and a few other things,If there is anyone who can help.I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I was just wondering which pros where doing this and who would be paying for it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are what people do, and what the Pros do. In your case, you are are asking for something that "Pro" (a term you have yet to define) don't do, outside of the small number of on-line downloadable rental sites.

So forget trying to do it like the "pros", because that has nothing at all to do with your question.

What do you intend to do with your videos ? A video encoded for an iPod/iTouch/iPhone won't play in your car or house player. A video encoded for playback on a media extender like a PS3 or Xbox 360 will may be encoded differently to one encoded for a standalone player in order to keep a higher quality.

So stopping trying to big note yourself with talk of "Pro"s, and ask your question clearly, with details of what you really want to achieve.

If you simply want to convert your DVDs to Xvid for playback on a standalone Divx capable player, go search the tools and guides sections for DVD to Xvid (there is an easy drop down so you don't even have to type it) and you will find plenty to get you started.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There are hundreds if not thousands who can help, and they already have. Well-written and illustrated guides for multiple encoding methods are here for you to read.

Options are limited to, and specified by, intended playback device. Different methods for different devices.

Keeping entire menu allows for extremely limited solutions.

Using AVI file limits playback devices severely and almost absolutely excludes menus.

Filtering completely unneccessary for DVD source.

Newbies insulting long-time and knowledgable members is distinctly frowned upon. Since you joined on my birthday, I will eschew ripping you a new one and assume you just might possibly not be an arrogant, lazy punk who richly deserves such an action.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    There are what people do, and what the Pros do. In your case, you are are asking for something that "Pro" (a term you have yet to define) don't do, outside of the small number of on-line downloadable rental sites.

So forget trying to do it like the "pros", because that has nothing at all to do with your question.

What do you intend to do with your videos ? A video encoded for an iPod/iTouch/iPhone won't play in your car or house player. A video encoded for playback on a media extender like a PS3 or Xbox 360 will may be encoded differently to one encoded for a standalone player in order to keep a higher quality.

So stopping trying to big note yourself with talk of "Pro"s, and ask your question clearly, with details of what you really want to achieve.

If you simply want to convert your DVDs to Xvid for playback on a standalone Divx capable player, go search the tools and guides sections for DVD to Xvid (there is an easy drop down so you don't even have to type it) and you will find plenty to get you started.
    Ok,from reading several of your alls posts,I consider you guys as the "pros"

I want to use it on my ps3,And I am planing to buy a car lcd/player that supports avi.

That's why I think I need to learn how to shrink it down to the smallest it can go without screwing up the quality so I can have more on my external.

Really isn't possible to keep the whole dvd (menus ect) as one single avi file? What size can I make it to where I would still have the best quality? Trying to figure how many movies I'd be able to keep on the hdd.

Guns1inger,I have no issue typing in on the drop box.I just wasn't sure I'd be able to find what I wanted and it would be easier to try and ask because I know my typing isn't that great.

My bad to ed,But I have no intentions of posting on the net,It's all for my own use.I'm currently not able to post on the net And if I were able,I could do that,Don't see anything "pro" about that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Really isn't possible to keep the whole dvd (menus ect) as one single avi file?
    For all intents and purposes, no.
    What size can I make it to where I would still have the best quality?
    That's a completely meaningless question, a question with no answer. Try decrypting the movie to the hard drive and using AutoGK with a 1-pass encode set for the Target Quality default of 75%. Take that as a base and adjust the percentage upwards or downwards to get the best combination of quality and file size for your personal tastes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you,I will be giving that a try.
    Quote Quote