VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem similar to the one posted today by NW.

My movie worked very well with VLC and Nero8.
    But with the player, it doesn't have sound.

The player is a Phillips DVP630.

How can I solve the problem? What programs must I use?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of audio is being used in the movie? use mediainfo (view=> text)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video - DIVX5

Audio - WMA2

At this very moment, I'm converting Divx5 to Xvid.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem is the audio = windows media audio; very few (if any) dvd standalone unit support that format.

I doubt video is the problem, so you can direct stream copy that in vdub to conserve quality. So I would just re-encode the audio to mp3. You need lame acm codec installed for this to work in vdub
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

If the conversion doesn't solve the problem,
    I'll go to proceed with your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My video conversion didn't result as expected.

So I installed the codec ( lame acm ), but I don't know what to do now.
    I searched videohelp but I don't find any guide for conversion audio from wma2 in another one.
    Can you tell me how I can use VirtualDub, now, please?

Thank you Poisondeathray.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1) Open your .avi in vdub

2) Video=>Direct Stream Copy

3) Audio=>Full Processing Mode

4) Audio=> Compression

5) Pick Lame MP3, for maximum compatibility use CBR mode, in this example, I chose 44100Khz, 128kbps, CBR ; push ok (note if your original audio is 48000Khz, you have to pick the corresponding MP3 choice, or downsample to 44100Khz)

6) File=>save as .avi

Cheers

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did something wrong.
    The 6 points at your last message are well explained, so I mustn't have installed the codec.
    When I do 6) Save as .avi and introduce the name, it appears this:

Error initializing audio stream decompression:
    No installed audio codec could be found to decompress tne compressedsource audio.
    Check to make sure you have the required codec (Microsoft Audio Codec).

To install the Codec , I went at lame acm , I download rar file lameACM-3.98 to the desktop ,
    I decompressed it, I right click over lameACM and install.

What did I wrong?
    Thanks Poisondeath ray for your patience.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Do you see LAME MP3 as one of the options in vdub? (if so, it's probably installed correctly). You right click on LameACM.inf then click install. Make sure you are able to view extensions in the folder options, because there is another file called LameACM.acm which is the wrong one.

Do you have windows media player 11 or windows media format sdk 11 installed?

What characteristics does your original audio have (# channels, Khz, etc..) Use mediainfo (view=>text) and post the information here. You might have to reduce the #channels or downsample the audio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1 - Do you see LAME MP3 as one of the options in vdub? (if so, it's probably installed correctly). You right click on LameACM.inf then click install. Make sure you are able to view extensions in the folder options, because there is another file called LameACM.acm which is the wrong one

1 - Yes. Itīs OK, probably.

2 - Do you have windows media player 11 or windows media format sdk 11 installed?

2 - I don't.

3 - What characteristics does your original audio have (# channels, Khz, etc..) Use mediainfo (view=>text) and post the information here. You might have to reduce the #channels or downsample the audio

3 - Audio #0
    Codec : WMA2
    Codec/Info : Windows Media Audio 2
    PlayTime : 1h 27mn
    Bit rate : 64 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    StreamSize : 39.9 MiB

It's all, I think.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm pretty sure you are missing the windows media audio codec. I think it's installed when you install WMP11; if you do not want to install WMP11, install windows media format sdk 11

Another option:
    You should also be able to do this in avidemux without installing extra codecs : open with avidemux=>leave video sidebar set to "copy"=> change audio sidebar to mp3 (lame) =>set format to "avi" => press save with extension (e.g. "myfile.avi")
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I managed with Avidemux.
    Thank you very much, Poisondeathray.

Does this Avidemux what VirtualDub does with these problems ( Change video and audio codecs )?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Jomapil
    Hi.

I managed with Avidemux.
    Thank you very much, Poisondeathray.

Does this Avidemux what VirtualDub does with these problems ( Change video and audio codecs )?

Cheers
    I'm sorry I don't understand your question.

If you leave the settings on "copy" it will direct stream copy like vdub's direct stream copy. But if you select a codec for audio or video, it will re-encode (just like if you select a codec with vdub)

One difference is avidemux has all the codecs self-contained, so you don't rely on externally installed codecs. (kind of like how VLC and Mplayer have everything self-contained)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You, Poisondeathray, didn't understand my question, but you answered it completely.

By other words, what I wanted to know is if Avidemux is simpler than VirtualDub in this matter ( to change codecs ) ?

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote