VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a Galaxy 3538UEP external HDD configured for Raid 1. It has two Samsung 750GB, 7200rpm HDDs. It took me 20 hours to transfer 400GB of data(400,000 files) over USB 2. My computer is a DELL dual core 2.4, running XP, with 3GB of RAM. The computers HDD was 750GB. Is this normal? I have never worked with Raid 1 before. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nothing to do with Raid1 and all to do with the speed of USB2

USB2 is slower than the old ATA66 spec. And that can depend on the chipset so it may or may not reach full speed.

Plus a lot of small files will take longer than large files when they = the same GBs.

Normal via USB2. If you can go ESata to the EHD that is a much faster transfer rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It took me 20 hours to transfer 400GB

That's about right.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I go ESata to the EHD? The EHD has Firewire and USB 2. The Dell has USB 2 only. What do I need to convert to an ESata transfer? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. To use eSATA you need to put your drive(s) in an external eSATA enclosure. Many enclosures come with an adaptor that lets you use an internal SATA port to connect to the eSATA device. For example (note the adapter):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392016

Example with RAID 1 (mirroring):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817422023

Even Firewire will be significantly faster than USB2. Maybe as much as 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <edit>
    Sorry - I was thinking of Raid 0 when I posted
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by KBeee
    Raid 1 is a waste of time if you can only connect your external HDD drive enclosure via USB2 or Firewire, and doubles the risk of you losing your data.
    RAID-1 is mirroring, how do you explaing double the risk of losing your data?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Keep in mind that RAID mirroring is not a complete replacement for back ups. If you delete a file from the RAID array it's gone from both disks. If the O/S decides to scribble all over the drive or a worm formats your drive both disks are messed up. It's only protection against drive failure.
    Quote Quote