VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have a network of 13 workstation clients (WinXP SP-2 PRO) and a server with the following specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 640 (Prescott Hyper-Threading) 3.2GHZ FSB800MHZ 2MB L2 Cache (Not multi-core CPU!!)
    DDR 2GB 400MHZ Dual Channel (PC3200 200MHZ)
    300GB HD
    ATI Radeon X330/X550/X1050

I want to setup a Domain and so I have to choose from the following two operating systems to install in this server:
    Windows 2003 Standard R2 DSP License
    Windows 2008 Standard Sngl OLP NL GOVT (Government License)

From my previous experiences, I know that Windows 2003 will work perfectly on the above setup:

Windows 2003 Requirements
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430827.aspx

But the Windows 2008 government license is far better than the Windows 2003 DSP which can only be used for one PC/Server. (It gets tied to the motherboard & CPU, where as government license can be carried to the next server in case I buy a new one in the future)

I checked the Windows 2008 system requirements and it should work fine on my server:
    Windows 2008 Requirements
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/cc196364.aspx

But I know that these requirements by Microsoft are never accurate and since I have never actually seen it in action I can’t judge how well it would work on my specific server. (My CPU is not Multi-core)
    The services I’m interested in installing are: Active Directory / Domain Controller (With 13 Domain users), DNS service, DHCP service (The Server will give Internet to the Domain PCs via the DSL/Router) & File Sharing service. (Possibly even setting up a VPN tunnel via the DSL / Router in the future to connect to another workgroup via the Internet)

So based on my setup and needs, how well would I expect Windows 2008 Standard to work on my server? I would rather avoid upgrading the hardware at the moment, but I don’t want a slow/jerky server & Domain either!
    Should I get Windows 2003 Standard R2 instead?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retroborg
    Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    Horses for courses.
    I suggest you ask at a forum like MSFN rather than one focused on home video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!
    I'll check it out!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you plan to migrate to Vista on the desktop any time in the future the Server 2008 is the better option. There are certain management features and other benefits for Vista desktop that can only be fully realised with Server 2k8.

If, on the other hand, you intend to serve out the next three years with XP on the desktop, 2k3 R2 will suit you just fine, and the decision becomes simply a financial one.

Also, take M$'s recommended spec to be a minimum usable spec, and their minimum spec to mean "the smallest platform you can boot this OS on (without actually being able to run any applications)".

Your user requirements aren't going to push a server very hard. 13 users in Active Directory won't cause the slightest blip on the performance meter.

I would seriously consider either putting a Linux firewall between your server and the DSL router, or looking at Small Business Server Premium, which includes ISA 2004 firewall.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If you plan to migrate to Vista on the desktop any time in the future the Server 2008 is the better option. There are certain management features and other benefits for Vista desktop that can only be fully realised with Server 2k8.
    This is good advice. I would recommend 2k8 just so you don't need to worry about transitioning platforms in the next couple years. Plus it never hurts to keep brushed up on the latest products.

Depending on the system utilization you may want to enable HT and then load up a virtual machine to firewall for you. I'm sure there are some good thinware appliances out there that would use next to nothing for resources and would eliminate the need for another machine.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the way, is Panda Antivirus for business compatible with Windows 2008 server?
    It is stated in their home site that it’s compatible with Windows 2003 but what about Windows 2008?
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterprise/solutions/business/

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I tend to take the view that if it doesn't say so it isn't.

Especially with a product that has to tie itself so deeply into the OS such as a Antivirus.

Just on a quick check AVG Server edition works with Server 2008 and Server 2008 64 bit. Per this page http://www.grisoft.com/us.product-avg-file-server-edition#tba2

15 Connections for 2 years shows " 2 years Subscription USD 329.99"

I have no idea is this is good or bad price. However certain companies seem to keep up with new operating systems better than others.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. I checked this Windows 2008 Server Hardware Compatibility list:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/nickmac/archive/2008/04/30/hardware-certified-for-windows-server-2008-x64.aspx
    http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?&bCatID=1283&cpID=0&avc=11&ava=23&avq...PGS=25&ready=0

How ever, my Server mother board: “ABIT AG8 Motherboard”
    I can't even find it in the compatibility list?!

I checked the ABIT Driver site and there are no Windows 2008 Server drivers available by ABIT!
    http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_driver_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Driver&p...ET_TYPE=LGA775

Does this mean that it will not work at all with Windows 2008 Server?
    Will the current Windows 2003 Server drivers work with Windows 2008 Server?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't Server 2k8 have a free trial period? Why don't you download it and find out?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I searched but I could only find Win2008 X64 and my server is 32bit...

I used the: "Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution tool" on the Server.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=67240B76-3148-4E49-943D-4D9EA...displaylang=en

The results showed that all my current Server devices (Including the M/B Intel 915 chipset) are compatible with Windows 2008 Server. It says: "No action required. Driver is available on the Windows Server 2008 DVD" for all the devices.

It also recommends installing Windows 2008 based on my current setup and system requirements.

So, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx
    Those links for Windows Server 2008 below the flashy buttons say they support both x86 and x64 systems. I would think you'd want to start out with Server 2k8 Standard.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can't believe I overlooked that!
    Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I build a server with two core i7 xeon, 12 GB of RAM,... etc. So a good one.
    It will be user for 3DSMax, but i don't know what OS to use (Win 2003 Server or Win 2008 Server or what OS you recomend)?
    Please Help!
    Regards in Advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Max, and most any other design applications for that matter, do not support Windows Server OS. They run on Windows desktop OS like Vista or XP. With that amount of memory you'll need an x64 build of Vista or XP. You may want to check the system requirements of every application you plan on running before deciding which OS, but I'm guessing you'll be able to run the majority on Vista Ultimate x64.

Which board are you using for that machine?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The motherboard is a Supermicro X8DTH-6F, this one supports two xeons of core i7
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thnx for the support
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a question witch is better Win XP x64 or Vista x64 (the cost isn't a problem)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say use Vista x64. I'm not seeing any of the problems people whine about with it on my machine so it should work fine on yours. Just check to make sure all the programs you're running support Vista x64 first just to be safe. Odds are more support that than XP x64. Also with Vista you shouldn't need to upgrade your OS as soon since XP is all but out the door in terms of MS support.
    Quote Quote