VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    She has lots of US dvds and gets all sorts of strange stuff handed to her it seems.

Apparently she has some stuff thats R2 but NTSC? What the heck?

Anyway what player is gonna be not horrible expensive but also play back just about everything that she can get over there?

Double bonus if it plays MPEG4/Divx/Xvid
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can go to this link: http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/electronics.html;jsessionid=FA77E490C441794000C73219C614DDB6
    and scroll down to the region-free dvd players. Region 2, as I recall, is Japan, an NTSC country.

An alternative would be to create a region-free back-up DVD using DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but I'm pretty sure she's looking for something can pick up at a store.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips 5990/05 or 5992/05 would probably work for her. I've got the 5990/37 (US version). It plays both PAL and NTSC and can be made region-free via the remote. About $60 US. Also plays divx/xvid and WMV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    She will find that most players in the UK will play PAL and NTSC and many will be region free. I prefer Pioneer, and ther are plenty of models that support Divx playback as well.

She is much better off buying a local model that buying a US model and worrying about power etc.

R2 covers the UK (PAL) and Japan (NTSC), hence the mix of formats.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Before she buys something, she needs to be able to take it back if it can't be made region free. We're getting an awful lot of posts these days about various players that used to be able to put into region free mode but no longer can be. Manufacturers do sometimes make hardware changes that break hacks that used to work. And even Philips, who just a few years ago made almost no models that could not be hacked, seems to be making it harder and harder to put their models in region free mode.

Finally, just in case your friend doesn't know this, some region 1 DVDs have this evil thing called RCE that is designed to thwart playback in region free DVD players. To successfully playback such discs, the player will have to be changed from region 0 to region 1.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love my £35 (inc. tax and delivery) Toshiba SD280E DVD player. Plays anything I throw at it, and comes region free from the store.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/Category/93
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    I love my £35 (inc. tax and delivery) Toshiba SD280E DVD player. Plays anything I throw at it, and comes region free from the store.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/Category/93
    I'll run this one past her. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just about any cheap DVD player available in the UK will be Region free and ALL will play PAL and NTSC. Best place to look is somewhere like Tesco or Asda.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Just about any cheap DVD player available in the UK will be Region free and ALL will play PAL and NTSC. Best place to look is somewhere like Tesco or Asda.
    Tescos reasonably priced (i.e. less than £50) DVD players are all stated as being Region 2, and incapable of being made multi region, except for the Toshiba SD-185E (£24.97), and the Toshiba SD480E (£49.97) which are both region 2, but capable of being made multi region.
    Of course, they might all in reality be region free out of the box, but if they're not and you can't find a working hack for them then you're screwed.
    Like I was with a POS Samung SH855
    Quote Quote