VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there an app that can give me more detailed info about the the video and audio inside the .mp4 container? I tried the latest version of GSpot but that is very limited when it comes to .mp4. I particular want to know exactly what codec was used for the video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. It is much more detailed than GSpot. Unfortunately I still can not see *EXACTLY* what Mpeg-4 ASP codec is used. i.e Xvid, DivX, OpenDivX... the most I can see is "Codec ID: 20"

If this is the best there is then I will have to satisfy. but thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's odd. In all of the viewing formats, MediaInfo still tells me the name of the codecs used in the MP4s I tested (just now). Try switching to a different, more verbose View (menu) format, such as Tree.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not for .mp4 it doesn't. I tried all the views available. Can you try a .mp4 video? All I see is "mp42"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried a handful of them before making that last post. Here's an example from one of the files, in Tree view (yes, I know it's not the complete window, for anyone else reading this... ):

If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is not a good example because you are using AVC. I particular wanted info about what kind of Mpep-4 ASP was being used.

In this example I used Xvid 1.1.2 but no where does it state that.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    probably because you do not use xviD to make an mp4. It may have the mp4 extension but it's still a xviD avi container.

Proper mp4 should always use the H264 codec and aac audio

Ok. My hard hat is on. I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree with me
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, no, no. It's not about disagreeing with you; you're just mistaken on this occasion.

.mp4 .avi .mkv etc are containers. You cannot have one container inside another. A container can contain a variety of different video/audio/text combinations depending on its specifications.

.mp4 does not have to contain AVC, that's just what you are used to seeing.

It can actually contain MPEG-4 Part 10 (aka H.264 and MPEG-4 AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2 (aka MPEG-4 ASP such as Xvid, DivX) MPEG-2, and MPEG-1.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try avinaptic
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried it and still nothing.

I am beginning to think it have more to do with the info tags stored within the container when file is encoded. So this is probably more down to the video tool used. With .mp4 for me it just is not there for any app to glean the information. With .avi it is. Hmmm
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can only assume that it is the converter you used to create the mp4 file.

I used both AviDemux and Yamb to create an Xvid/mp3 in mp4 container and they both list ISOM as the Codec ID under General and 20 as Codec ID under Video but they both list XviD 1.1.0 (UTC 2005-11-22)as the writing library.

Avidemux lists Lavf51.12.1 as the writing application. No listing for Yamb and in the log file it said "no tagger found".

I am using MediaInfo in Text Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I had already tried AviDemux and as you say when I used Xvid4 it does give the info but not as much info when you select Mpeg-4 ASP lavc. I was using WinMenc it's faster than AviDemux though AviDemux is a great tool for more involved tasks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WamZ
    Yeah I had already tried AviDemux and as you say when I used Xvid4 it does give the info but not as much info when you select Mpeg-4 ASP lavc. I was using WinMenc it's faster than AviDemux though AviDemux is a great tool for more involved tasks to hire essay writer for such projects.
    Hi,

Do you have any experience with Avidemux 2.7? When I try to cut and save an MPG-file, I get an error message: Too short. I asked on Avidemux forum, but there's still no solution that works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moonkrj View Post
    Originally Posted by WamZ
    Yeah I had already tried AviDemux and as you say when I used Xvid4 it does give the info but not as much info when you select Mpeg-4 ASP lavc. I was using WinMenc it's faster than AviDemux though AviDemux is a great tool for more involved tasks to hire essay writer for such projects.
    Hi,

Do you have any experience with Avidemux 2.7? When I try to cut and save an MPG-file, I get an error message: Too short. I asked on Avidemux forum, but there's still no solution that works for me.
    Wow, 10 years (exactly 4112 days according to the warning before replying) has got to be the longest length after a reply that I've seen! Luckily I'm still around.

I still use AviDemux regularly 10 years later. You need to give me more info about your MPG file, maybe a mediainfo copy and paste. One of the things you might want to try is to run the file through MKVToolNix first. https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html

It will only take ~1min even for a multi GB size file and converting to an .mkv might make it easier to work in AviDemux. This is what I do.
    Last edited by Wam7; 7th Nov 2019 at 04:57.
    Quote Quote