VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone! I have a copy of my Family Reunion on DVD format. The video on the DVD is kind of DARK for my liking. I extracted the DVD into .vob files. I thought I would be able to use VirtualDub to increase the brightness but I got an error when trying to load it.

CAN anyone help me find a program that would help with brightening and adding gamma also to the .vob files before burning it to a DVD?

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to reencode the entire thing, unless you're willing to adjust the TV set's brightness and contrast settings everytime you watch it.

I guess with a recent version of VDub there are plugins to allow you to open MPEG-2 video, and you can do it in VDubMod, apply the settings you wish, and then frameserve out to your encoder. But a basic VDub doesn't support VOBs. And it doesn't encode MPEG-2 (DVD) video anyway.

Better would be to demux, use DGIndex to create a D2V Project File for use in an AviSynth script with the Tweak and/or Levels filters added to adjust what you want:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Tweak
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Levels

A basic script might go:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C\Path\To\WeddingVideo.d2v")
    Tweak(Bright=10,Cont=1.1)
    Levels(0,1.1,255,0,255) #just examples of how it works

Test the script in VDub(Mod) first, before sending to your encoder (HCEnc is good and free). Encode, mux (Muxman), and put it back into the original DVD using VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not all of these suggestions are completely necessary but they may help.
    Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter (IFO Mode)- File Splitting NONE....That will give you one giant .VOB file.
    Use VirtualDub Mpeg.
    Also try using AviDemux(ignore the name...it works very will with mpeg based stuff too) - it has some nice filters and it easily handles VBR audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the source is DVD, the audio is CBR anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote