VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So this Toshiba M65 laptop has been in the shop twice in the last month for the same problem... It was "fixed" once and worked for 2 weeks... Then I brought it back in when it turned off on my again. That was 2 weeks ago, and now it has done it again... The guy said he regreased the processor, cleaned it really well, and that fixed it the first time... The second time he said there was a kink in the heat cable or somthing that did not let all the air circulate causing it to overheat... Well here I am again with it doing the same thing... I do not want to take it back because the guy seemed stumped last time and he keeps fixing it for only short term working condition... What could it be? The laptop is not even getting that hot... It used to get really hot and work all day... Now it barely gets any heat to it and turns off... Is there any suggestions to fix it? Is it pooping out on me? Any Ideas would be helpful before I take it back to get charged again...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can only assume the repair person is skilled and reputable. Otherwise, it still sounds like an overheating problem. If he cleaned out the dust and used the proper thermal compound on the CPU, that should have solved the problem if it was heat related.

It's a bit harder to diagnose overheat problems with a laptop. You could put it in the fridge for about a half hour and see if it still shuts down the same. If so, that would make me wonder if it's not a heat caused problem.

Another thought is to use a CPU temp monitoring program like Core Temp that should show how hot the CPU really is: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could it be related to Laptops With Certain NVidia Chips Failing?

"An estimated 18 million laptops with NVidia G84 and G86 graphics chips sold in the past one and a half years are experiencing high failure rates. Various laptop models from multiple manufacturers (Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others) are affected. NVidia blames it on bad chip packaging causing thermal failure. BIOS updates that turn the laptop fan on more frequently or permanently have been released by Dell and HP. The cynical interpretation is that this is likely to only delay the problem until the warranty has expired."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Without a second unit, it would be difficult to diagnose.

Could be caused by hard drive performance issues, faulty battery or mains power adapter.

Have you connected external usb devices to it, and if so, what type of devices were they?

Poorly manufactured usb devices can cause damage to power management chipset on the board and result in these problems ... its motherboard replacement time

Have a look at > http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba_Satellite_M65/take_apart_laptop_1.htm, its for disassembly

And > http://www.notebookforums.com/forum68.html, toshiba users
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Could it be related to Laptops With Certain NVidia Chips Failing?

"An estimated 18 million laptops with NVidia G84 and G86 graphics chips sold in the past one and a half years are experiencing high failure rates. Various laptop models from multiple manufacturers (Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others) are affected. NVidia blames it on bad chip packaging causing thermal failure. BIOS updates that turn the laptop fan on more frequently or permanently have been released by Dell and HP. The cynical interpretation is that this is likely to only delay the problem until the warranty has expired."
    Well I have taken my computer to this store for a long time and he has fixed passed computers. The store has been open for many years so I can only assume.

Unfortunatly my computer does not have a Graphics chip... So I dont think that could be it. He took the Battery out while trying to fix it, and he thought for awhile that this battery was the problem, but then eventually it crashed again. The memory in the laptop is brand new, so I dont know if that could be a problem... I put it in once I got the laptop... I check on the forums and see what I can find... Thanks for the input...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It does have a graphics chip, no matter what Toshiba may call it. If it didn't you wouldn't have a display. Hopefully, if there is a recall or information on a failing chip, you should be able to go to Toshiba's internet site and get further information. If they list model numbers with the problem chip, that would help considerably.

EDIT: I did a quick internet search for 'Toshiba M65 problems' and didn't come up with much of anything. So your problem may not be common to that model. (Unless it is the aforementioned graphic chip problem.) I did find a tear down guide if you are interested in what the internals look like: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba_Satellite_M65/take_apart_laptop_1.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. Am working on one of these right now.

Not 100% certain, but it appears to be either the fan or fan controller.

Does yours run for an hour or two with no problem, then shutdown in the second or third hour, then refuse to run for several minutes or an hour or more?

It needs to get good an hot, then have an extended cooldown period. If you don't run it for more than two hours, you might not notice the problem or it may not manifest.

It is not that it does not get hot, it is the exhaust from the fan is not real noticeable as the fan is not running full speed. The fan speed is not consistent, which is what concerns me about a controller. First step is to replace the fan.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a Toshiba Satellite but here's what I would do:
    1.Make sure the CPU fan is working,put your hand by the grill or listen for it for a good five minutes.
    2.If the fan is working elevate the laptop off of a surface and see if it shuts down,if it does then go to next step.
    3.If you have two sticks of RAM remove one and reboot,do the same with the other one.Use CPU-Z to make sure they are the same latency and frequency.
    4.Open the case(with the battery out) and clean all components with a can of air.
    5.Run with the power cord attached,if it runs fine with the power cord but not with a battery then buy a new battery.Another sign of a bad battery is it won't hold a charge or drains quickly.
    6.If the laptop still crashes then it could be a software or driver problem:check your Device Manager for any errors then run a defrag,CHKDSK,registry fix program,etc.Go to your BIOS and see if you can turn off any performance features such as low latency or high clock speed.

If the laptop is still under warranty then I would contact Toshiba,they might replace it and if you ask them they may even send you a shipping label.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Poorly manufactured usb devices can cause damage to power management chipset on the board

I have a friend who is having shutdown problems with her Toshiba Satellite. It is an XP machine, and gets as far as the XP splash, then resets to 'Start in Safe Mode', goes black then back to 'Start in Safe Mode' endlessly.
    She assumed it was malware after having just installed Utorrent, but I noticed that the fan runs full tilt from the second it is powered up...
    she has a USB webcam, also any number of very hairy pets.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your laptop isn't getting hot, it probably means that your technician didn't connect the heatsink properly (if this is the usual CPU overheating issue), or your heat pipes are bad, or the heatsink fins are clogged.

Get a hardware monitor (hwmonitor.exe) that can monitor your CPU's temperature and watch to see if it is the culprit. If it is running cool, then one of your support chips may be going bad.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bearbegr
    So this Toshiba M65 laptop has been in the shop twice in the last month for the same problem... It was "fixed" once and worked for 2 weeks... Then I brought it back in when it turned off on my again. That was 2 weeks ago, and now it has done it again... The guy said he regreased the processor, cleaned it really well, and that fixed it the first time... The second time he said there was a kink in the heat cable or somthing that did not let all the air circulate causing it to overheat... Well here I am again with it doing the same thing... I do not want to take it back because the guy seemed stumped last time and he keeps fixing it for only short term working condition... What could it be? The laptop is not even getting that hot... It used to get really hot and work all day... Now it barely gets any heat to it and turns off... Is there any suggestions to fix it? Is it pooping out on me? Any Ideas would be helpful before I take it back to get charged again...
    Check your power source, AKA: outlets you have it plugged into and powerstrips you have it plugged into.

I once had an annoying problem with my laptop where if i turned it off, it does not always want to go back "on". Meaning i would press the power button, power would go to the system with the led lights, fan whiring, etc. However it just would NOT BOOT up!

At first i thought maybe my laptop hard drive was crapping out on me, after all if the HDD is bad nothing will boot even though there is power to the system.

I stumbled upon the problem later on when i hooked my laptop up somewhere else and the start-up issue vanished. Then i just replaced the old powerstrip and it worked! No more non-start up issues.

Just something to consider: Try plugging it in and using it somewhere else! Your laptop may have a kind of built-in safety thingy that shuts it down automatically to protect it, if it detects surges or something in a bad wall outlet or power strip.
    Quote Quote