VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ive used AVG free for a few years now but once in a while I get errors when updating, program closing and other problems that lead to re-installing so I thought of trying a differnt AV and see how it goes.

Can anyone reccomend NOD32 Smart Security to replace my AVG, ZA & Ad-Aware or is it best to just get the NOD32 AV and keep ZA & Ad-Aware?

or how about the free Avast AV?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    At least when compared to Avast and AVG,
    NOD32 does not have an extensive résumé of false-positives;
    compared to the overbloated antivirus applications, NOD32
    is not a resource hog --- two good reasons for choosing it.
    OTOH, even NOD32 cannot update its virus database twice per minute,
    so it also will be no match for a seriously-skilled worm creator
    if you happen to have the bad luck of being one of his/her victims.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it worth getting the Smart Security tand replace my ZA?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I haven't used the Smart Security package, just the AV. I'd recommend asking over at www.wilderssecurity.com. The official Eset support forum is on that site as well as a lot of people who spend way too much time testing these products against each other.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use NOD32 and am very happy with it. I use Comodo Firewall Pro 3 and Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster. So far (touch wood) all clean.

Kaspersky also has a good reputation for accuracy, speed and footprint.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best product ever..

Recommend it highly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eset Nod32's antivirus reputation is pretty good. If you like to stay in the freeware world, Antivir's Avira free is probably a better choice than AVG or Avast. Ditto the Comodo firewall, it's the best freeware firewall but takes some getting use to and may not be for the faint of heart.

I'm not too thrilled about most of those all-in-one packages. Probably best to just use NOD32 A/V only and keep your ZoneAlarm. I use Comodo free firewall, Bitdefender free (no background scanner) and Antivir Avira free (includes background scanner) and Spybot S&D.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Poppa_Meth gave good advice; www.wilders.com has extensive info about NOD32 as well as any other antivirus application you can think of. My personal favorite has been and remains Kaspersky which is not free but is, I feel, the best balanced of all of the security suites. The separate antivirus product is also superb and both are highly configurable. If you intend to use the ZA (free) firewall, Online Armor (free) firewall, or Comodo firewall, my experience with KAV is that it works well with any of them. If you choose to go with a free antivirus, Avira seems to be as good at detection as anything out there, but I also like Avast.

Just as a personal note; I like the Kaspersky version 7 better than the newer version 8 because the user interface gives more information, particularly during the scan modes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help, i'll try the AV and keep my original firewall
    Quote Quote