VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I've recently built a new system and am having a terrible time trying to backup DVD's or encode WMV/DivX/AVI, etc to DVD!

The problem is this, no matter what program I use, no matter what settings I try, every disc I produce seems to be loaded with errors. Usually, the disc will start at a random chapter and refuse to move back before it or jump wildly about random chapters with any motion usually causing pixelation of the image. I've tried several different brands of DVD+/-R at different speeds and still the same results in multiple players. Even taking a retail film on a DVD-5, backing it up with say DVD Decrypter and rewriting it without any changes creates a disc where, at the very least, the audio is out of sync.

Discs created with Nero Vision produce the best results of a bad bunch, with the worst being ConvertXtoDVD. No program ever flags an error of any type and I've noticed no problems with the recorder itself.

Any suggestions? I can't take no being able to make DVD's for much longer!

Parts: -

Recorder - ASUS DRW-2014L1T SATA
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM - 4GB DDR2 PC2-8500 CAS5
    Motherboard - Foxconn P35AP-S (latest BIOS)
    HDD - 1.5TB total storage
    Video - BFG GeForce 9800GT
    OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks,

10x...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you didn't mention was what brand of blank disk you are using. Even if its the same brand as you have always used, the manufacturer may have switched vendors and the media code may have changed. Unless you are using exactly the same burner and the disks are from the same stack of disks that you have previously used successfully, a crappy blank disk can cause all sorts of problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To troubleshoot, first simply create disc images using your authoring tools, and try playing those images. That saves you the time, hassle and uncertainty of disc burning. If the images play fine, then your problem lies with the burning process and/or media. You say that you've tried various media, but without mentioning what they were. Off-brand types may not burn well unless you throttle back on the speed, for example, or may have great variability.

If you approach the problem systematically, you'll be able to narrow down the list of suspects. That's what you need to do first. After you've identified the culprit, the fix will likely be very easy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    To troubleshoot, first simply create disc images using your authoring tools, and try playing those images. That saves you the time, hassle and uncertainty of disc burning. If the images play fine, then your problem lies with the burning process and/or media. You say that you've tried various media, but without mentioning what they were. Off-brand types may not burn well unless you throttle back on the speed, for example, or may have great variability.

If you approach the problem systematically, you'll be able to narrow down the list of suspects. That's what you need to do first. After you've identified the culprit, the fix will likely be very easy.
    Sorry for the delay in responding - been away for work.

I use mainly Sony 16x DVD+R discs as well as Kodak 8X DVD+R's as well. There's never been any problems before, so I don't understand the problem now.

Images play fine on the PC via WMP and Nero, does that then sound like the DVD-Writer has developed a fault? Any data DVD's I burn seem to be OK.

TIA,

10x...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try DVD Fab HD Decrypter (free), instead of DVD Decrypter.

DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in years, useless against new copy protection schemes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do stuff the hard way. Whereas it's a pain in the ass sometimes, I've never had the issues with bad burns, discs acting stupid and audio/video out of synch that I read about here time after time.

Go get some Verbatim Discs. I know you've used Sony and Kodak discs forever and they've worked just fine, but, as has already been posted, things change. You've changed system. The disc manufacturer has probably changed something too.

In a hobby (business) where inconsistancy is rampant, why not control the things you can to get good results?

Get rid of Nero. I know you said it produces the best of the bunch, but, at this point, that's not real good either, is it?

So, get yourself some Verbatim or TY discs and burn with IMGBurn. Don't screw around with the other stuff.

Rip with DVDFabHD Decrypter and set your gaps and stuff with PGCEDIT.

And, don't be in such a hurry to burn that disc fast. Burn s-l-o-w-l-y. I hardly ever go faster than 2.4x. Now, that might be overkill, but I get good, consistant results.

Give it a whirl. It can't be any worse than what you've got going on now.
    Quote Quote