VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How exactly would i go about doing something like this,I am wanting to know for sure all the steps before i go out and waste the money,I also Want to know if I will ever have to you use the harddrive on a pc to put stuff on it or can I install things to the harddrive via Data discs or Flash drives,Another thing is what exactly would i need to buy,thanks in advance.

Example what I would want the Harddrive used for,Converting movies and storing them for ps3 playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stream of consciousness, or way too much coffee. Dude, re-read your post tell if it makes any sense to you at all.

I think you are asking if you can take the HDD out of your PS3, put movies on it, then put it back and play them ? I don't believe you can, however you might want to read this post : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic351768.html?highlight=ps3%20hdd
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah,I think it makes sense,I have read that post and that is what makes me think it can be done with a normal size regular IDE or Sata HDD,Just format it to whatever it needs to be in,cause obviously when you a buy a new HDD it's RAW,But It can't be as simple as I think, so that is why I am asking.

If you can format the external and use it on the ps3 then why not be able to do the same with an internal hdd and use some type of adapter to connect it to the usb port in the ps3,(internal HDDS ARE CHEAP) :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because the internal HDD is specifically formatted for the PS3. Part of the PS3 firmware code allows it to read FAT32 drives attached via the USB2 port. Most new external drives are already formatted as FAT32, ready to go. Some are NTFS.

If you really don't care about your warranty, you might find something here to help : http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2006/11/replace-your-ps3-hd-video.html
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not talking about a ps3 harddrive I'm talking about a regular pc internal harddrive.Since they are pretty cheap

Do you really think it's not possible to do the same thing with a normal pc internal hdd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only difference between an external HDD and an internal one is the case. By the time you try to rig your own interface, you will find it is easier to just buy a generic external case, drop in the HDD of your choice, format it FAT32 and be done with it.

A PS3 internal HDD is simply a HDD. Nothing special about other than the way it is formatted.

I don't understand what your issue is.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lol right there you basicly answered it all,There isn't a difference,I just buy the internal hdd of my choice(like regular pc IDE or sata no mater 2.5 or 3.5 ect...)Slide it into a case to look more like an external you bought in the store>Format it to fat32 and i need the cable still to hook it into a ps3 since the ide cables wont got in a usb port>And im done right? that is kinda what i was asking but my other questions...Is if i can convert my vids on the ps3 running programs from a flash memory or the usb memory or is it inevitable that i have to use a pc to do all my converting and loading other stuff to the (rigged external/internal hdd) Or can I do my conversion from flash drives or load a data disc and copy vids from the disc to the (rigged hdd)

sorry bout the typing i am tired and will be going to sleep right after i post this.Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should look at notebook (2.5") drives. The capacity is lower, and they cost a little more, but they can be powered over USB, so you don't need to carry a power brick around with them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't i buy some type of IDE/SATA to USB converter type cable or something like that,And What about the installing things or saving them off of data discs or flash drives with the ps3 to the harddrive...because using a computer isn't always an option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If you really don't care about your warranty, you might find something here to help : http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2006/11/replace-your-ps3-hd-video.html
    Sony allows for this and it doesn't void your warranty like it does on some other systems.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anyone know if the PS3 can read a HD formatted internally but then removed and connected to the external USB port?? Someone must have tried this to get around the 4GB limit??
    Quote Quote