VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all;
    If the answer is somewhere here, I couldn't find it and sorry.
    I am a newbie in the very early stages of trying to understand digital video and analog capture. I am grearing up to convert many analog tapes to digital. So far I have bought Canopus ADVC110, and 2 large hard drives (1 internal and 1 external). I have decided to use WinDV for capture to DV-AVI. Then I read about type 1 and type 2 and got stuck there. Which one do I want?
    I haven't decided on the video editing software yet, but I'll be searching for the simplest one to use which also yields the highest quality when I end up with a DVD of the edited video.
    Thanks for any guidance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't a quality issue, Type1 has audio interleaved with video and has lower bit rate for transmission, Type2 carries audio as a separate set of audio data for easier application software handling. Type2 was the default requirement for early editing programs. Today many programs process either but Type2 is the safer choice.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This screen cap from MSDN may help explain.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you edDV for a very complete reply.

I sort of understand the difference between type 1 and 2, and that type 1 is the newer one. I may start using MS Moviemaker as a novice (to get my feet wet) and I understand it uses type 1 DV-AVI. If somewhere along the way I get an older version software (like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere, the two software I know about), that have better functionality and learn that they use type 2, would I loose video quality converting type 1 to type 2? I know there are converters out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Movie Maker accepts Type2 or Type1. I'll need to test it to see what it exports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Movie Maker accepts Type2 or Type1. I'll need to test it to see what it exports.
    Movie Maker exports as Type 1 DV-AVI.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Test done.

I imported a DV-AVI type 2 (captured from from ADVC-100) to Vista WMM and it imported fine. I exported the file from WMM as DV-AVI and GSpot reported it as Type1. I imported that file to Vegas Pro8 and it loaded but reported an audio proxy is being constructed.

Next I captured some live Type2 from the ADVC-100 to WMM and all was fine. I exported as DV-AVI and again GSpot reported this as DV Type1. When imported to Vegas Pro8 it again reported an audio proxy is being constructed. The reason Vegas does this is to save Type1 decompression time while cueing and editing. It speeds things up. Essentially, Vegas has converted Type1 into Type2 for editing efficiency.

Bottom Line: Either will work but Type2 is more efficient for editing.
    Quote Quote