VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 103 MB video (avi) file that I recorded with my digital camera. I wanted to cut off certain frames in the beginning and end and in my infinite simplemindedness :P figured that would also make the file smaller, since I need it to be no bigger than 100 mb.
    I got virtualdub, deleted the frames I wanted and tried to "save as avi". But the new file is waaaay bigger than the original.
    What can I do? Is there another way to make this file smaller? I'm a total newbie, and not sure what other information you might need to help me, I'm sorry.
    Please let me know what else you need to know, or if it can even be done?
    Thank you very much in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    enable direct stream copy for video
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG, thank you! What a simple solution.... thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you do a direct stream copy, you insure that you don't degrade the video quality by encoding it. If you encode unnecessarily, the video quality is reduced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thank you... I will definitely try to remember that. I'm totally new to any of this, so any help is appreaciated
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you solved your problem. But just for reference, if you don't select a output codec in VD and you use Full Processing Mode, it will default to uncompressed RGB video, which will give you a huge filesize.

If your input was DV, you can also use filtering or modify the image, then use Full Processing and add a DV codec like the Cedocida DV Codec to encode back to the DV format.

But if you are just doing cuts and pastes, Direct Stream Copy is all you need. Another nice feature of VD is you can modify the DV file and output it by frameserving directly to a MPEG encoder. Handy for DVD conversions as you avoid creating an edited file to take up space on your hard drive.

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: I assumed a DV camcorder, but you actually posted 'digital camera'. Those use a different codec, sometimes MJPEG. But the principle is still the same. If you work with AVI, it's well worth learning how to use VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your welcome and wow, ok. That sounded very technical to me, lol.

"If your input was DV"...
    What exactly does that mean? DV?

I think I will mostly just do what I did this time, like take a few seconds off the beginning and the end of a video, but who knows? I might end up doing something different sometime, too So thanks again for all your guys' help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to spend the time and read the glossary of terms up there on the left menu
    doing so will probably save you countless hours of frustration...unless that's the goal
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol sure! I love frustration, who doesn't?? thanks again for all your prompt and friendly help!
    Quote Quote