VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Just got a few video files but it is encoded to IVM (Interactive Video Media), been to vimbol.net, but download doesn't seem to work? Any help pls?
    Quote Quote  
  2. is the extension .ivm? open them with gspot or mediainfo what do they say?

try playing with vlc or mplayer (both which have many self-contained codecs)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can find IVM decoder from http://www.ivmlab.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    amdk62 - You joined late in 2002, so you're not a newbie here. I really shouldn't have to say to this to someone like you, but seriously, when you find a "new" video format that requires you to install software that you've never heard of before to play the file, all you are usually doing is installing software on your PC to turn it into a spam spewing zombie that someone else controls. You may not notice that your PC is being used for nefarious purposes, but it is. This is an old scam that never seems to stop getting suckers to fall for it.

Please note that the oh so helpful icemocha7my joined the forum TODAY and his first (and so far only) post just happens to tell you where to get the software. And the website just happens to mostly be in Chinese. Dude, seriously, if warning bells are not going off in your head right now that say "Hmm... maybe installing this isn't a good idea" then you deserve whatever happens to you when you install it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 - Thank you for your response. Even I just register today but I have been in here for long time. I recent lost my login name so I need to re-register a new one.

IVM (Interactive Visual Media) is a new format. If you think that chinese let you feel uncomfortable, you can go their web site http://www.ivmlab.com/ to download the player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is English not your first language? No offense, but you write like an instruction manual from Taiwan.

Also, this part bugs me:
    5. Tracking of video viewership
    IVM Lab also provides a powerful analytic tool to track who, what, and how videos are being viewed.

Contrary to jimmalenko's credo, post count doesn't give you a bigger penis. What it does is let people know that you have "been in here for long time". You do see the odd coincidence of your signup date, right?

Basically, if you're around so often, then you should participate more often than just spamming your (?) new codec.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What a stupid IVM format. I tried to download the decoder 1.6 and 1.61 then install and tried on media player 11, 10, 9 then tried on Media player Classic then tried on KMPlayer and tried on Real player and VLC. I also tried to install both the chinese and english version of decoder and non seems to work !!! I just downloaded [赤壁].Red.Cliff.2008.720×576.900kbps-2pass.ivm and I am sitting in front of my pc for 5/6 hours just to tried to uninstall and installed and restarted my pc and none is working and I am pissed!

Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Better forget about .ivm files ---
    --- seriously.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK! This is getting silly, how a simple Q turn into a bloody discussion! I got it sorted out after the 1st reply, dl the IVM from IVM website (either Chinese or English version) and play via Windows MP.

ps: where's a moderator when you needed one? If they don't work here anymore I shan't be posting anymore post.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just learned from someone that IVM format can detect where is your countries and the video is only allowed people from certain countries to watch. Red.Cliff.2008.720×576.900kbps-2pass.ivm that i downloaded only allowed China Mainland to watch and I am from Malaysia, So, I am not able to watch this format. I will have to wait for AVI format to come out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i don't know why all of u can't play the IVM video,
    but i just download the movie Red.Cliff.2008 (IVM format),
    n install IVM DECODER 1.6.1
    than i right click the movie file Red.Cliff.2008 (IVM format),
    choose properties, n choose program Windows Media Player as DEFAULT program.

WARNING
    "U MUST CHOOSE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER AS YOUR IVM DEFAULT PLAYER"

than just double click the video file to open it.
    TRY IT...

i use windows VISTA, n i use windows media player 11.
    n i use this IVM decoder 1.6.1(chinese version)
    if u guys want to try just download it here
    Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3lcn5zcdnza
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am using vista. got media player 11 (come with os, newer than the media player 11 from microsoft web site).

i used 1.6.1 chinese and english ivmdecoder. the one comes with "red cliff" did not work for me.

i set media player as default player for ivm. it still does not work for me. i never think it matters putting it as default or not.

i have to believe it has something to do with location although it wouldn't tell you that out right.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i finally know what's going on. my os (xp and vista) is english. it all seems to be the root cause of the problem that english os with ivm decoder can not handle chinese characters.

first, change the chinese characters directory to english (eg. Red Cliff).

second, change the chinese characters .ivm and .lic to english (eg. Cliff.ivm and Cliff.lic).

third, run "ivm_decoder_1.6.0.cn" or 1.6.1.en from www.ivmlab.com. running chinese version is a little bit tricky as you can not read what's displayed and need to click the right buttons.

last, right click on *.ivm (eg. Cliff.ivm) and "Play IVM" should be on top and selected. on vista, it's like a DVD, you need to click "PLAY" on the SCREEN. on xp, it seems to play automatically (maybe it's because of not media player 11)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by greatanalyzer
    ok, i finally know what's going on. my os (xp and vista) is english. it all seems to be the root cause of the problem that english os with ivm decoder can not handle chinese characters.

first, change the chinese characters directory to english (eg. Red Cliff).

second, change the chinese characters .ivm and .lic to english (eg. Cliff.ivm and Cliff.lic).

third, run "ivm_decoder_1.6.0.cn" or 1.6.1.en from www.ivmlab.com. running chinese version is a little bit tricky as you can not read what's displayed and need to click the right buttons.

last, right click on *.ivm (eg. Cliff.ivm) and "Play IVM" should be on top and selected. on vista, it's like a DVD, you need to click "PLAY" on the SCREEN. on xp, it seems to play automatically (maybe it's because of not media player 11)
    renaming solved the problem
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you guys for providing the solution..i can watch the video already..tq
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed the english version of ivm decoder, but the movie would freezed at 30seconds into it. The timer in mpc still running, but the frame rate keep going down.
    Quote Quote