VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey.
    I was wondering, is there any way to detect subtitle overlaps is SRT files (cause I can't seem to find such a tool in Subtitle Workshop) or at least a way to fix them automaticly? Well, simply detecting would be much better.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sub Wizard, I think it is, or Subtitle Magic. Workshop also SFAIK has a tool to fix these.

One thing to be aware of in checking audio synch with these, do NOT rely on FF or RW, you must let the video play normally. Alternately, author a DVD onto the HD and play the VOB files, this "locks in" the subtitle synch and you can FF to the end and check synch all the way through.

Many, many hours of testing have lead me to this conclusion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Workshop
    Tools/Information and errors
    will find overlaps

That's in version 2.51 anyway.

There is an option to automatically fix these, but take care.

The help file explains a lot of useful options not obvious from the interface.
    There are lots of time adjustment options (eg, you can shorten all subs by a small amount, or automatically set the duration).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, that's great, thank you guys!

Subtitle Workshop doesn't work right though: it still sees zero overlaps as errors and the time reducer's also kinda bugging on some lines.

SubMagic is just what I needed, thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Re-open this topic.
    Is there a way to solve this overlapping issue?
    Cant get SubMagic to work, get an error every time I try to open the software.
    Subtitle Workshop detects zero overlaps as errors.
    Example:
    00:10:40.000-00:10:45.500 - Hi X!
    00:10:45.500-00:10:50.000 - Hi Y!

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's not an overlap, which is why it isn't detected as one. When you play it, you don't see one line stacked above the other briefly, do you, as you would with real overlaps? There may be a way to ensure all subs are separated by a minimum amount of time, but I don't use either of those programs and don't know how. Maybe someone else can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by traxstar View Post
    Re-open this topic.
    Is there a way to solve this overlapping issue?
    Cant get SubMagic to work, get an error every time I try to open the software.
    Subtitle Workshop detects zero overlaps as errors.
    Example:

Thanks in advance
    Clearly explained in the Subtitle Workshop manual.

Try reading it.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There may be a way to ensure all subs are separated by a minimum amount of time.
    Yes, there is. Also in the manual.

Settings/General/Advanced "Default Subtitle Pause"
    I set to 20 ms.
    When you do "find errors" then "fix" it will make that the pause if it's less.
    Minimum you can set is 1 ms.

"Zero" is an overlap, because at the moment of transition both subs will show. It causes problems when making DVD subs at least.

Anyway, the above setting will give you 1ms gap (or whatever you want).
    Last edited by AlanHK; 24th Sep 2017 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Open subtitle in Subtitle Edit
    select Tools -> Fix common errors -> Fix overlapping display times

Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	43195

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    "Zero" is an overlap, because at the moment of transition both subs will show.
    It's not. I tested that in an AVI using SSA subs before posting. One begins just as the other ends. No overlap. And traxstar mentioned no overlaps were found by Subtitle Workshop.

Yes, it can cause big problems if making subs for DVDs, and I also make sure there's a 20ms minimum separation. But since the subs were some obscure text-based subtitle file (obscure to me) and there was no mention of DVDs, there's no reason to suppose these are meant for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    "Zero" is an overlap, because at the moment of transition both subs will show.
    It's not. I tested that in an AVI using SSA subs.
    Logically, it is.

Your player chooses to handle it one way. Others may not.

Anyway, ASS subs allow several simultaneous subs. The problems, if any only arise with SRT.

As I said, it can cause problems making DVD subs with some software. I would get an abort and an error if the subs overlapped, even in the single instant of the example.

Trimming a millisecond to avoid any possible problem would be an imperceptible change, since ultimately we're talking about video frames, at least 16 ms long (60fps).

I'd prefer at least one blank sub frame rather than a hard transition myself.

But since the subs were some obscure text-based subtitle file (obscure to me) and there was no mention of DVDs, there's no reason to suppose these are meant for DVD.
    I thought he'd just unwrapped SRT. Anyway, I mention DVD because I know that it IS a problem there. Not if you're playing some MKV or whatever file. And not for ASS.

You often find zero gaps in subs you download, since it isn't a problem in a media player.

Still think good practice to trim to make safe in all cases.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Sep 2017 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok, I will try the tips you gave.

This is not an overlap in the movie but Subtitle Workshop sees it as an error:

And this overlap, I want also to fix.
    00:10:45.400-00:10:50.000 - Hi Y!

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by traxstar View Post
    Ok, I will try the tips you gave.

Set the "Default Subtitle Pause" to 1 ms or whatever you want and "fix" will trim the durations to create the gap.
    Quote Quote