VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the double post but after looking through the forum I found this section which is where I should have started.

Hi all,
    Please let's keep in mind that i am new to all this. Just starting to learn. Some of us are able to pick up on the directions here better than others. I just want to learn one thing-Make my Blu-rays into MKV files.
    I am almost there I believe and did what I was told by someone else from another forum, which I am no longer receiving answers- so I decided to try here..

1) Rip BD to HDD with AnyDVD HD
    2) Demux desired streams with tsMuxeR
    3) Re-encode if required with MeGUI/x264 or Nero Recode AVC
    4) Mux with mkvmerge GUI to Matroska (mkv)

I did (1)
    Did (2) and got the following files from tsMuxer:

00001.track_4113.264 - 264 file 21+GB
    00001.track_4352 - VLC media file (.dts) 3+GB (VLC player is the default for this file)
    00001.track_4355 AC3 audio -196,832KB
    00001.track_4356 AC3 audio -196,832KB
    00001.track_4357 AC3 audio -196,832KB
    00001.track_4608.sup SUP file - 38,590KB

Now at this point I am stuck. (3) and (4) are where I am not sure what to do.
    These are the last two issues I am seeking help with. I have Nero 7 Ultra Edition and don't know where to go in this program to do the re-encode. Need assistance with that. And then this Mux with mkvmerge thing. Which i found to be the mkvtoolnix program. I did step 4 with the files I got from step 2 and got the MKV file but the size is too high not the 8GB I was looking for plus the video played back was terribly out of sinc and freezes for a second or two then goes on but still out of sync. A little guidance with this and I should be all set with knowing how to do this process without any help. Please someone help me step by step with these last two steps or all steps in case you noticed I did something wrong. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use XVID4PSP

About as easy as it gets (for this type of conversion) and still great quality.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jah711, please do not double post. I've deleted the other topic. In the future if you want to move a topic to another forum, PM a Mod instead.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks and sorry about that....I was unaware of how to handle that on this site...other forums I was able to just delete my own post. But I will keep your advice in mind if there is a next time. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Use XVID4PSP

About as easy as it gets (for this type of conversion) and still great quality.

Thanks for the assistance FulciLives...
    Now one last question...On the following tabs that are listed on the left of this program:

Format
    Denoise/Sharpen
    Brightness/Contrast
    Video Encoding
    Audio Encoding

Which are the best choices in each one to use to just make a good video and audio quality 8GB MKV from a Blu-ray? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you said you want to make a MKV and that is an option under the FORMAT setting.

However a lot of people like to play these files on either an XboX 360 or a PS3 so I guess the question is do you care about compatibility with one or the other or both or could you care less and just want MKV period?

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I basically...like you said don't care about the compatibility thing for PS3 or Xbox. I just want to create the KMV files for just pc play. And break down the size.
    Just keep in mind that this is all new to me....this is my first time getting into this. So I will need some help from anybody in using this program you suggested.. First off...am I still using the files saved to HDD done by AnyDVD HD?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all anyway. I did figure it out on my own. All is done here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello all,

I'm facing a similar problem as jah711 and this is also all new to me so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The basic ripping process is easy, with anydvd or dvdfab, it's basically a click and go process.
    I then get the M2TS files I need on my hard disk.

I use tsMuxer to demux the M2TS file and I obtain one VC1 file and one AC3 (I only selected the main movie from the M2TS file and one language)

Now I'd like to re-encode the VC1 file to bring down the size to a more reasonable 8Gb and then merge it with the AC3 file so that I get in the end a MKV file I can play with VLC.

My questions:
    What software do I need to use to re-encode the VC1 and merge it with AC3?
    I sometimes get DTS files from the Blu-Ray rip, can I use the same process to merge VC1 and DTS together ?

Thanks a lot!
    Laurent
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KlintIstwood
    Hello all,

I'm facing a similar problem as jah711 and this is also all new to me so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The basic ripping process is easy, with anydvd or dvdfab, it's basically a click and go process.
    I then get the M2TS files I need on my hard disk.

I use tsMuxer to demux the M2TS file and I obtain one VC1 file and one AC3 (I only selected the main movie from the M2TS file and one language)

Now I'd like to re-encode the VC1 file to bring down the size to a more reasonable 8Gb and then merge it with the AC3 file so that I get in the end a MKV file I can play with VLC.

My questions:
    What software do I need to use to re-encode the VC1 and merge it with AC3?
    I sometimes get DTS files from the Blu-Ray rip, can I use the same process to merge VC1 and DTS together ?

Thanks a lot!
    Laurent
    XVID4PSP can do all this for you and even change the DTS to AC-3 if you need that type of conversion. It really is fairly simple. Did you install it and try to load the file(s) etc.? If so then exactly at what point are you stuck?

Oh and MeGui can do this as well !!!

Quote Quote  
  11. klintistwood the problem is that xvid4psp won't recognize a vc1 file so after you rip the bluray movie find the main file load it in tsmuxer and make a ts file. load this into xvid4psp it will run some test and pick the best resolution.under format pick mp4ps3 doesn't matter if your going to play it on your computer or not.denoise and brightness leave disabled and also disable audio.set video encoding to x264 1p 4000 turbo. then under video at the top go to the resolution and set it to 1280 it will automatically pick the other number. then click save it will open a box and you can name it what ever you want.then click encode. after that's done load your original m2ts file back in muxer and uncheck everything but the audio then demux it if the audio is ac3 then your done. if not use eac3to to change it to ac3. next open mkvmerge pick your video then your audio and click mux and in a couple of minutes you'll have an mkv file and it will play on your computer. if you want to play it on the ps3 then load the mkv file into tsmuxer and choose m2ts option do not choose bluray as if it's not 1280x720 you'll end up with blue at the bottom of the screen after you run it through tsmuxer as an m2ts you'll have a meta file and m2ts. if you have the newer version of image burn go to ez mode click burn files to disc load the meta then the m2ts change the file mode to 2.50 as this is the ps3. hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. thanks for your help guys!

FulciLives:
    XVID4PSP doesn't see the video file (VC1) at all so I can't use this one. I have already tried to get a TS file from tsmuxer but in this case XVID4PSP just tells me that the sound source is not a valid DTS source.
    I still need to test MeGUI, I have downloaded it yesterday evening.

zerocoool
    you're right about XVID4PSP but even if I disable audio, XVID4PSP still need to analyse the file and there I get the sound source error message telling me that the DTS is not a valid source. I still need to try this with a movie using AC3. I'll try what you suggest with the sound conversion to see if it goes any better.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Import only the video in XviD4PSP (.264 file),then convert your DTS audio to ac3 with eac3to... Now in Audio setting>Editing options> Source path and add ac3 as external audio...try it...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  14. klintistwood try this try demuxing with the tsmuxer then select your video file with tsmuxer and then make a ts file and see if that doesn't help you should only have the video. what movie are you trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ok, here is the situation. I'm working on two movies in parallel: Rocky I and Unforgiven. I've bought those two movies and I want to store them in my mediacenter (HTPC) just like most of my other DVD movies.

Rocky;
    Ripped to HD with AnyDVD
    M2TS files can be played with Media player classic, sound & video are ok
    I load the m2ts file in TSmuxer, there I see the video and audio tracks. (video: MPEG2 / audio: DTS-HD)
    I only select the video track and one audio track
    After demuxing, I get a .mpv file for the video and a .dts file for the audio. The .mpv can be played with VLC but I can't play the .dts file
    What should I do with the DTS file?
    When I try to re-encode the mpv file into mkv with media coder, I'm only allow to transcode 3 seconds and I can"t change the value
    MeGui can't load the mpv file, it asks me to index the file first, I don't know how to do that.
    Muxing back mpv to ts with TSmuxer, the newly generated ts file plays well in vlc
    I import the TS file in Xvid4PSP, it takes a few minutes before I can do anything and then I select mkv + x264 Q21
    Start encoding => 5 hours!!
    At this point, I'm not even sure it's going to re-encode the movie to a smaller size.
    Any idea? Before entering in a 5h intensive re-encoding, I'd like to know if there is no better to do this.

Unforgiven:
    Ripped to HD with AnyDVD
    M2TS file cannot be played with Media player classic nor anything else (even if I play it directly from the disk)
    Playing the blu-ray with power dvd works fine
    I load the M2ts file with TSmuxer, I see all the video and audio tracks (video:WVC1 / audio: AC3)
    After demuxing I get two files: one VC1 file and one AC3
    I can play the AC3 file with VLC while I don't know how I could play the VC1
    re-encode vc1 to mkv with media coder: works but I can only encode 3 seconds, it doesn't allow me more
    Still need to remux video to ts, i haven't had the time yet.

thats all for now, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In XviD4PSP, click the (E) tab next to video encoding, now for video encoding mode, pick one of 1-3 Pass Bitrate modes or 1-3 Pass Size mode ,you'll see the projected file size...
    And yes it'll re-encode and it works..Try it! what do you have to lose but time, right?
    Quote Quote  
  17. tonee is right when you load the ts file from rocky 1 click on the e at the video encoding and select x264 1p 4000 turbo believe me you will like the quality this should also speed up the process then select the video button at top go to the resolution and change it from 1920 to 1280 the other number automatically set the save your project without the audio it will save an mp4 file. as for the dts audio use eac3to and the gui make sure you have both programs in the same folder select your file and pick the ac3 bitrate choose the 640 after all this is done.use mkvmergegui to put them together first load the video and then the audio click mux and it will create an mkv file perfectly synced. with these settings i can do a blueray in just under 3 hours. as for the vc-1 you can load it into the eac3togui program and click on conversion options 2 and select demux 1st video track strip vc1 pulldown when you save it make sure you use the extension mkv. then load that file into xvid4psp
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hello all,

i've been trying to use XVID4PSP the whole afternoon but without much success.
    I"ve first chosen a 3 pass bitrate, it took 3 hours to reach the end of the first pass and the second was estimated to 14h so I cancelled
    I then tried settings with only one pass but then again, after the first pass, it went for a second one of 14h again! I'm pretty sure I have not
    selected multiple passes so now I'm wondering what's wrong.
    I have also tried constant quality and again the encoding went with multiple passes.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?
    14h seems to be a lot with a QuadCore CPU and a 8800GTS graphic card

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. did you select x264 1p 4000 turbo this only does one pass
    Quote Quote  
  20. I figured out what was going wrong with XVID4PSP, if you"re running Vista you need to run it in admin mode otherwise it won't save your custom settings.

So I guess I'm almost there now. I'm now with MKV files for both of my movies and ac3 files but when I mux them together, the sound is out of sync.
    Is the problem coming from the video file or the sound file? Have I missed something?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. what are you using to mux them together and is your video file an mp4 or mkv. the video should be mp4 if you used my method .then you load the video into mkvmerge and then the audio in then mux them into mkv
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you post the steps/methods you finally used, to create your mkv files..Maybe we'll be able to see if anything was missed...Did you use XviD4PSP to create your mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  23. tonee are you talking to me or the other guy
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ? was directed at klintIstwood.... 8)
    Quote Quote  
  25. hello all,

I have the feeling that I'm almost there but something is missing

So, small summary.

Movie1 (video:mpeg2hd, audio:dts-hd)
    Demux M2TS file to .MPV for video & .DTS for audio
    Remux .MPV to .TS with TSmuxer
    Convert .DTS to .AC3 with EAC3conv
    At this stage, image is fine, sound is fine too
    Convert .TS to MKV with XVID4PSP (standard settings with 6000kbps, 1 pass)
    Note for those who are trying: run XVID4PSP in admin mode under vista otherwise it will use a 3pass encoding.
    Converted video file is working fine, quality is perfect
    Mux video and sound together with MKVmerge
    Result: image and sound are fine except that they're not synchronized

Movie2 (video:vc1,audio:AC3)
    Demux M2TS file to VC1 and AC3
    AC3 works fine but can't play VC1 with anything else than MediaCoder
    Remux to TS but the beginning of the video file is always corrupted, pixels all around moving objects and colors not ok
    So instead of remuxing to TS, I'm currently trying to convert the VC1 directly to MKV with MediaCoder. It's still running
    right now so I can't tell if the results will be ok but up to now, everything seems to be running fine.

So as you see, I have used MKV instead of mp4, could this be the cause of sound sync problem?

I've played a little bit with MeGUI as well but I need to convert video files to d2v files first and apparently DGindex can't read
    VC1 files so my only alternative remains MediaCoder.

So that's basically it for now. Once I'm done with this, I'll probably publish some kind of successfull recap here so that people in my situation can convert their movies without too much trial and error as it's rather an annoying and time consuming process

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  26. clintistwood

try this encode to mp4 not mkv because the mkvmerge will make the mkv when you mux the audio and video together as for the first movie because it's mt2s you should be able to load it directly into xvid4psp but don't use the xvid setting use x264 1p 4000k turbo. it sounds like you used the right program for the audio.

for the second movie demux to vc1 load that file into eac3togui and there is 5 tabs coversion one,conversion 2,audio delay,. choose conversion2 you'll see evo and framerate options choose demux 1st video track and check strip vc1 pulldown then where it says destination file save it as mkv. after that you should be able to play it with vlc media player. now it will load into xvid4psp use the same settings as for the other movie.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ klintIstwood,
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but if all you want to do is create an mkv file to play using VLC,why are you even using XviD4PSP...
    Demux m2ts file with tsmuxer> convert DTS audio to ac3 with eac3to> mux .264 and ac3 with mkvmerge>play mkv with VLC..
    Or are you seeking a smaller size file?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi zerocool,

Unfortunately I can't load the M2TS directly into XVID4PSP because it doesn't understand the DTS track, it says the audio track is not valid. I'll try to convert it to MP4 and I'll see if it goes any better. In fact if I play the TS file with mplayer classic, I can select the source source (DTS converted in AC3 in this case) and at that point, I have no sync problem. It's really when I convert the TS into something else that the sync problem occurs. I'll try your suggestion with mp4 and we'll see.

In eac3togui I don't find the menu you're mentionning. I see various tabs with path/source/eac3toaudio/eac3tovideo/VC1conv/...
    I can select VC1, select the input file, I have to choose an output file, if I use mkv here it creates a .mkv.vc1 file which doesn't help me a lot.
    I'm using version 1.09

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. t0nee1,

Yes I do want to reduce the size without loosing too much quality. I need to reduce my rips to something around 5-6 Gigs.

Demuxing never gives me a .H264 file, I have either a .mpv either a .VC1, how do you get that?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha, I see that now..Did you try to creating your mkv with XviD4PSP, using the .ts video only and your converted external ac3 audio?
    Quote Quote