VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have two Pioneer DVR-531HS that work fine. My friend has one however that the TV guide will no longer come up. If you press TV Guide or Timer Rec it shows the date on the display however nothing shows on the screen.

I tried to do a "blind" reset using the reset code however that doesn't appear to work. I even turned mine on and did the steps on his along with it. We have also tried the reset holding the buttons on the front of the unit. That didn't work

I've read some of the threads and checked pioneerfaq.info. Was wondering if anyone had a solution other than getting the service remote and dvd and doing the process like you're replacing the HD?

Everything else works. You can bring up disc navigator and see what's recorded on the HDD and go to the Home menu as well as do manual recordings.

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a guess here: The Pioneer DVR-531HS was one of the unfortunate Pio models that had the otherwise useful TVGOS info directly on the HDD, which many consider a horrible design flaw, as when the HDD gets corrupted, the whole TVGOS goes unrecoverably Tango Uniform.

But perhaps someone with more experience with those generations of Pios (531, 533, 633, I believe; I had the latter for a while) can jump in here and offer some hope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MCnDaHouse
    We have also tried the reset holding the buttons on the front of the unit. That didn't work
    The front-panel buttons should work if you did it this way:

1 Make sure that the recorder is on.

2 Using the front panel controls, press and hold STOP and press STANDBY/ON.

The recorder turns off with all settings reset.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried the stop and On button reset, sadly no fix there.

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Quote  
  5. It could be as simple as the guide data having problems where he is. Mine Doesn't work, then it works. the TVGOS was never reliable for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No it's not that. It won't even show the guide or the menus on the screen. I am familiar with cable not updating the guide at times.

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like a candidate for the pioneerfaq.info procedure. The special remote and disk are needed to re-enter the CPRM code on the back of the unit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you unplug it for a minute?

This resets any electronic item. Works wonderful for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Already tried the unplug method, plus left it unplugged for 24hrs too.

I think I have located the disc (got it from the german site, has anyone tried those on US machines?) now need to acquire a remote. Any other suggestions?

I can live without the guide but I can't get to the menu to schedule recordings. All I can do is manually record or do one touch recording.

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Quote  
  10. Folks,

I was able to locate the service disc thanks to a thread on this forum and got a Harmony 520 remote and downloaded the codes from Harmony site to use it as a service remote.

I wiped the Hard Drive, put the Pioneer4.iso stuff on it. Then put it back in. Used the Harmony remote and the service disc 1179. Got it initialized and it's working like a champ! I think somehow the guide info on the Hard Drive got corrupted.

The instructions at pioneerfaq.info are awesome! Thanks so much to everyone who contributed.

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Quote  
  11. the guide on mine always drops out in the summer for 2 weeks then comes back on it's own. Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do you lose the menus and all? On the one I repaired you couldn't even schedule a timed recording cause it wouldn't show the menus for it.

MC
    Quote Quote