VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey ive ripped a couple dvds to my HD with imgburn, so now i have ISO files....

I now want to cut segments out of these files and make a compilation DVD, so far ive been using DVDShrink which is frustrating as you can only go by picture as you cut, theres no time/frame on the preview.

I can get my ISO's into a VOB or MPG file for editing pretty easy but i have yet to come across a decent free editor.

What im looking for is a freeware that will accept my ISO/VOB or MPG & let me cut out segments, then outputting the segment as VOB/ISO or MPG. DVDShrink is great for what i do in general its just the editing tools are very limited, if only it had time/frame references on the preview video!

I tried using a VOB in Avidemux & outputting as DVD but it lost considerable quality for some reason, i also tried MPEGStreamclip & it doesnt accept my VOB's due to quicktime mpeg2 issues.

Thanks in advance for any help....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Mpg2Cut2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No picture when i open the VOB, sound but no picture....

If i bought TDA would all my problems be solved?

I could rip, cut, save, burn, author etc...& save whatever i want along the way, for eg if i could edit a segment out of a dvd then extract that as ISO/VOB or MPG?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chronic777
    No picture when i open the VOB, sound but no picture....

If i bought TDA would all my problems be solved?

I could rip, cut, save, burn, author etc...& save whatever i want along the way, for eg if i could edit a segment out of a dvd then extract that as ISO/VOB or MPG?
    Well, when it comes to freeware video editors, I am firmly convinced that you get what you pay for

My personal recommendation would be to download and try either MPEGVCR or VideoReDo. Both are "try before you buy" products, so you are out no money to try either or both. I don't recommend TMPGenc for editing. I think the 2 products I listed are better.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thaks i think VideoRedo looks best for me, converts VOB to mpg for editing & its also an author. Im presuming that because its a pay for program the editing & authoring are going to be good value for $?

Does VideoRedo output as VOB or ISO?

I might aswell go for a good editor & author seeing as im gonna spend money now...

EDIT: VideoRedo is def for me, i still gotta get to grips with the author but its working really well for extracting mpg's & ISO's in scene mode.
    I just gotta learn how to use the authoring for making compilations....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc MPEG Editor has a 2 week free trial...as do most editors
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB is not "converted" to MPEG. VOB is a DVD container file, which holds MPEG video, AC3/DTS/PCM/MPEG audio, and nav/subtitle info.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you demux the audio and video, you can use Cuttermaran. Mpg2Cut2 will open, cut and append VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VideoReDo is an editor and nothing more. If you need help authoring DVDs, the guys who make MPEGVCR have some other product that is their editor and a DVD authoring program in one package. I don't remember the name of it, but you can find info at http://www.womble.com if you are interested.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98-that's not true.

VideoRedo TVSuite both edits and authors. VideoRedo Plus is just an editor. The editor is excellent and so is the support. I have no experience with the TVSuite so, I cannot give an opinion on it. However, my guess is that it is good. Get a trail copy and give it a whirl.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    VideoRedo TVSuite makes all (edits and authors). I work with it. A great tool.
    Quote Quote