VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to be able to fast forward through ALL the junk that plays before the movie comes up.

Right now, only the trailers will FF, but not the real nags - FBI warning, copyright advisory, etc. The option to FF through that waste is disabled.

It's a budget DVD/VCR player - Insignia model Is-dvd040924a

Help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The player is not the problem and as far as I know there are no hacks to sort it

The "problem" is the way the disk is put together and the author(s) deciding that some bits are skippable and others not.

The only solution I can think of is to rip the disk (using dvdfab hd decrypter or similar) and then create a new DVD from the unprotected rip (using DVD Shrink or whatever as appropriate).

Pain in the butt I know but, unless brains far superior to mine know better, I think it's the only solution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
    The player is not the problem and as far as I know there are no hacks to sort it

The "problem" is the way the disk is put together and the author(s) deciding that some bits are skippable and others not.

The only solution I can think of is to rip the disk (using dvdfab hd decrypter or similar) and then create a new DVD from the unprotected rip (using DVD Shrink or whatever as appropriate).

Pain in the butt I know but, unless brains far superior to mine know better, I think it's the only solution.
    That doesn't seem right...

The disc is a bunch of files. If the player (computer) reads a file, the player should be able to skip over to the next one, or even FF through it, UNLESS, the file has an executable in it, that disables FF function (and maybe some other functions too), until the clock ends the 'read' of the file.

I think that's how it works, but I'm not totally sure. Anyway, I want NO executables read. The player is under MY control, not the disc's control...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree the player is under your control but it is only going to do things the disk says it can do. So if the author of the disk says you can't FF through this bit then the player won't do it!

As I understand it that's what you are stuck with. It's all done by setting flags but don't ask me where they reside.

I suspect it's all tied up in the licensing which allows them to put the DVD logo on the player
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
    ... but it is only going to do things the disk says it can do. ...
    ...until I figure out how to dis-allow executable commands from the disc.

I know it can be done; I just don't know how...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're talking about PUOs, (prohibited user operations), and the ONLY way around them is to re-author the disc. Players are required to observe PUOs in order to be licensed. Get a HTPC if you want to avoid such problems, or learn to write your own player firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The good news - cwb is right. This IS possible.

The bad news - It requires hacked firmware. NOBODY makes hacked firmware for any players these days. NOBODY. (Well, I've heard of exactly 2 in recent years.)

Back 5 years ago, some of the Chinese made DVD players like Apex and Shinco had firmwares that were hacked and additional functionality was added, such as the ability to play DVD format on CD-R disc (miniDVD). I have an old Apex player that I no longer use, but I put hacked firmware on it to do this. Another feature it had was that it would ignore PUOs, so I could skip through the FBI warnings and such. So to do this requires a firmware hack and none of the 2 firmwares that I know of in recent years that were hacked were hacked to support this, so I don't know of any player made in recent years that allows this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    The good news - cwb is right. This IS possible.

The bad news - It requires hacked firmware. NOBODY makes hacked firmware for any players these days. NOBODY. (Well, I've heard of exactly 2 in recent years.)

Back 5 years ago, some of the Chinese made DVD players like Apex and Shinco had firmwares that were hacked and additional functionality was added, such as the ability to play DVD format on CD-R disc (miniDVD). I have an old Apex player that I no longer use, but I put hacked firmware on it to do this. Another feature it had was that it would ignore PUOs, so I could skip through the FBI warnings and such. So to do this requires a firmware hack and none of the 2 firmwares that I know of in recent years that were hacked were hacked to support this, so I don't know of any player made in recent years that allows this.
    Is there any way to even read firmware files? Either directly, or by mounting with another computer? Are they a function of the device's BIOS?

My home receiver also needs a hack - the 'Power on' volume is 20 by default (out of 62). Too loud!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just an FYI no one else mentioned,
    NON-region DVD player hack
    Has nothing to do with what you are asking.

My home receiver also needs a hack - the 'Power on' volume is 20 by default (out of 62). Too loud!
    And that's weird to me, in 30+ years of many many many receivers, i have never had one that went to a preset volume when turned on, they were always right where i left the volume the last time i shut it off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Actually, it does. Since I mentioned that hacked firmware in the past for some DVD players like Apex did allow you to skip PUOs, the question is related to the original post. It seems that cwb is considering trying to do his own hack to allow this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Actually, it does. Since I mentioned that hacked firmware in the past for some DVD players like Apex did allow you to skip PUOs, the question is related to the original post. It seems that cwb is considering trying to do his own hack to allow this.

Changing the region of a dvd player, or hacking it to change the region, however you want to state it, rarely has anything to do with overriding PUO's.

They are usually 2 separate & diff. issues.
    Quote Quote