VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using Firefox for the last two years or so, and have been sufficiently happy with it. I recently "Upgraded" to v3.0 now 3.01 and have had very sluggish load times and pages failing to load properly till refreshed. To see what else is out there that could replace Firefox on my PC, I tried Opera and what a freakin' difference! It's running like silk. I still have Firefox on my PC, but have no need for it at the moment.

I'm just surprised as to how low Opera's usage is in comparison to other browsers. Less than 1%
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Web_browsers
    Try it for yourself and you'll see just how slick it is. It's got great features. I'm using a beta version. v9.52.10092 which apparently came out today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the fastest, smallest and smartest full-featured web browsers
    The most full-featured Internet power tool on the market, Opera includes tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, integrated searches and advanced functions like Opera's groundbreaking e-mail program, RSS Newsfeeds and IRC chat. And because we know that our users have different needs, you can customize the look and content of your Opera browser with a few clicks of the mouse.

The Opera Web browser offers several new features for functionality, security, usability, customization, searching, saving, taking shortcuts and accessing Web content.

Whether you're going to work, working from home, developing Web sites, or just looking for a quick, solid browser that can help you quickly access the Internet, Opera delivers a superior Web experience for every aspect of your online life, with lots of tech tools for power users.

Some key features:
    · Speed Dial.
    Now you have a new way to access your favorite Web sites. Just open a new tab to get your Speed Dial. It's easy to populate and addictive to use.

· BitTorrent.
    You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.

· Site preferences.
    Want to view a site in a different way or deny certain cookies? Want to block pop-ups on certain sites only? Right click and select "Edit site preferences".

· Thumbnail preview.
    It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.

· Fraud protection.
    Opera's advanced fraud protection protects you against web sites that try to steal your personal information.

· Add your favorite search engines.
    Right-click on the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.

· Widgets.
    Small Web applications (multimedia, newsfeeds, games and more) that make your desktop experience more fun. Use the Widgets menu to discover new widgets and access your favorites.

· Transfer manager.
    View download progress and access all your downloads from one simple transfer manager window.

· Password manager.
    The password manager remembers your usernames and passwords so you will not have to.

· Mouse gestures.
    Opera supports mouse gestures, allowing you to perform certain movements with the mouse to access commonly used features.

· Notes.
    Notes can be kept in conjunction with a Web site you want to refer to later, or remind you of any particular information you may like to review again.

· Keyboard Shortcuts.
    Keyboard shortcuts - like mouse gestures - make your browsing faster and more efficient. Read more about all the keyboard shortcuts in Opera.

· Tabbed browsing.
    Surf the Web easier and faster by opening multiple Web pages within the same application window

· Integrated search.
    Search Google, eBay, Amazon and more with our integrated search field. You can also search directly in the address field using keywords

· Fast Forward.
    Fast Forward will detect the most likely "next page" link and greatly simplify navigation in multi-page documents such as search results and image galleries.

· Voice.
    The voice feature allows you to control Opera's interface by talking and to have documents read aloud. Voice is currently offered in English

· Full-screen mode.
    The F11 key toggles Opera's projection mode, using the whole screen for browsing and, if a projection style sheet is present, displays 'slides' suitable for presentation.

· Kiosk mode.
    Opera supports kiosk mode - a lock-down mode in which the browser can be used for unattended computers in public places.

· Opera mail.
    Our built-in POP/IMAP E-mail client is a combined e-mail program, news reader, mailing list organizer and RSS/Atom newsfeed reader.

· Standards support.
    We take pride in supporting all major Web standards currently in use, including CSS 2.1, XHTML 1.1, HTML 4.01, WML 2.0, ECMAScript, DOM 2 and SVG 1.1 basic.

Requirements:
    · 20 MB of free disk space.

What's New in This Release:
    · Lots of stability fixes
    · Fixed an issue with history navigation: an iframe with document.write is not added to history anymore
    · Fixed an issue where IRC would disconnec users without informing them
    · Fixed window.close() not functioning after invoking context menu - now also in widgets
    · Fixed an issue where "Mark all as read" in M2 would also mark as read some mails not visible in the current view
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Now I feel like giving another try to Opera.
    First/last time I tried it (versions/ages ago), I didn't like it very much.
    Not sufficiently "Mozilla-like" for my taste.
    As for Firefox... I didn't like its default skin, and I really don't have the time
    for learning how to build a custom skin that is not another "prefab carnival".
    Given that Netscape 4.61 would not work very well in the WWW of today,
    I still have to use his grandson Seamonkey.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With Vista, I got IE 7. Which added another unnecessary bar to to the top of my screen and locks up regularly, along with telling me I'm not connected to the internet. I've got FireFox 3 on another computer, but haven't used it that much. Resembles IE 7 bloatware a bit too much for my taste. I continued to use IE as I have a spelling checker that I've grown fond of and FF doesn't support it and I don't like FFs spell checker, even add on versions.

I'm willing to give Opera a try also, since it's been a long, long time since I used it last.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FF2, FF3, IE7 and IE8.

FF because of plug-ins, IE because of MS-only type sites (and testing sites).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use firefox 2.0.0.16
    Have used version 3 and didn't like it very much. Also tried opera and while it was fast it didn't really suit my taste's.
    OS used is Ubuntu linux 7.10
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ lordsmurf - IE8 is available? Is that at microsoft.com or is it a beta release?

I use IE 7 on my vista pc and IE 6 on my Xp pc. I just got used to IE and never really got into firefox.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. yoda313 it's an open beta now. anyone can download it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/default.mspx

don't know if you can get rid of it or go back to i.e.7 if you install it. it's mainly for web developers to test out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    yoda313 it's an open beta now. anyone can download it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/default.mspx

don't know if you can get rid of it or go back to i.e.7 if you install it. it's mainly for web developers to test out.
    Thanks minidv2dvd. Maybe I'll wait for a final release then. No need to screw up whats working
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ yoda313:

Windows Internet Explorer 8...

blah blah blah...

A Beta 1 targeted for web designers and developers was released to the general public
    on March 5, 2008. A Beta 2 targeted for all consumers is scheduled to be released
    in August, 2008.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_8

As a result of better standards compliance, IE8 will break compatibility with web pages that were designed around the bugs and quirks of previous versions. To soften the impact of these compatibility issues, IE8 will enable web designers to turn off all breaking changes in IE8. There are three modes that IE8 can render, named, "Quirks," "Strict," and "Standard." When there is an old DOCTYPE or when there is no DOCTYPE, IE renders it like IE5 would (quirks mode). When a special meta element or its corresponding HTTP header is included in a web page, IE8 will render that page like IE7 would (strict mode). Users can switch between the three modes with a few clicks and then restarting Internet Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IE8 mostly works (some sites look messed up). The IE7 compatibility mode is basically IE7 in an IE8 shell.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IE6 for me. I don't care for Firefox or IE7 (although I do use Firefox to get Windiz Updates).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 2.x.x.x
    IE 7 at work and for Windows update & IE 6 for windows updates.
    Haven't heard anything good about Firefox 3.
    Hate IE 7...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IE6 is 7 years old, which is really nothing more than a slight update to IE5 (which is 10 years old). Anytime somebody complains to me about a website not working, it turns out that they are using IE6. IE6 has issues with how it caches sites, as well as how it displays page content.

Upgrade. Please. It's time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IE6 is 7 years old, which is really nothing more than a slight update to IE5 (which is 10 years old). Anytime somebody complains to me about a website not working, it turns out that they are using IE6. IE6 has issues with how it caches sites, as well as how it displays page content.

Upgrade. Please. It's time.
    I don't have any problems with websites and I love the simplicity of IE6 and the fact that it doesn't take up half of my screen with some humongous toolbar. Tabs? Don't need em', total waste of my time. That big list above is what turns me off to most browsers. I just need a browser to get me from one website to the next. I don't need it to do magic tricks for me.

My brother had IE7 and it drove me crazy every time I used his PC. I got so pissed I wanted to kill something. Everything new that MS creates is crap.

I like the small toolbar on the top...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    netscape 4.7 cured me from ever taking browsers seriously again
    I code for FF and test in IE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS

If your copy of IE7 really looks THAT bad you need to stop clicking on those spyware links. Sure it has too much interface but its not that bad and you can customize it.

However I do mostly use Firefox 3. The update to 3.1 is just out. Haven't downloaded it yet.

There is one thing IE7 does better than Firefox. The magic button F11. Try it. It gives you a NO INTERFACE screen if you set the tool bar to autohide. It works just the way I want it to. No bar unless I move the mouse to the top of the screen and then I get a nicely trimmed down version of the standard bar. In Firefox all you get when you move the mouse to the top of the screen is the tabs and no navigation tools. Thats poor design considering MS has done this right since IE6.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both IE and FF3. Prefer FF but don't like it upgrading every couple weeks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use FF because of all the nifty plug-ins for webmasters.

Originally Posted by Midzuki

......... When a special meta element or its corresponding HTTP header is included in a web page, IE8 will render that page like IE7 would (strict mode). Users can switch between the three modes with a few clicks and then restarting Internet Explorer.
    If you have alot of pages designed around IE7 issues you can add a meta tag to the top of the document so it renders it like IE7. There's a lot of tricks and things people do specifically for IE, for example you can add this into a html document if you wanted to load a stylesheet only in IE you'd use this:
    <!--[if IE]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie-only.css" />
    <![endif]-->
    All other browsers would ignore it. The issue is you generally use that to fix issues that IE7 or less has. Since IE 8 will be standards compliant your IE tag will now have the opposite effect and cause pages to break in IE8. By adding the meta tag you can force IE to render it like IE7.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your copy of IE7 really looks THAT bad you need to stop clicking on those spyware links. Sure it has too much interface but its not that bad and you can customize it.
    I threw the bottom picture in as a joke to show how bad a browser can be when the toolbar is too big. I found it on google.

I don't install any BHOs and spyware toolbars. I can browse pretty much anywhere I want to go without any worries as long as I have scripting and cookies turned off. Where I get hit is when I go to big websites like ESPN with my guard down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Okay I've given ff3 another try by downloading the latest version from the firefox website rather than using the version in the ubuntu repo's and so far it's okay. Most of my plugins work okay and it seems to run pretty smooth so I guess I'll have to take back my comment about not liking firefox 3.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use opera on my pda and phone IE7 on my main pc, it works just fine, did, take a bit of getting used to after xp, but its simple and effective
    Quote Quote  
  22. Opera is the browsing's experience dream, much better than anything else. No ofense for Firefox lovers, but Opera is better. You only have to discover his beauty.

As for the tabbed browsing, I had almost 100 web pages opened for a long period. No matter if I close the computer or not, they are there everytime I open Opera.

One of the best feature is the portable version, available in Firefox, too. I put my browser on a different partition and every time Windows crash, my browser's pages and settings are untouched.

Give Opera a try. Why walk when you can fly?
    Quote Quote