VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I extracted the .h264 and .aac files from a .mp4 file and thought I could mux them to an avi with this avi muxer I have but apparently I can't do that. What do I need to do with a .h264 file to get it able to be muxed into an .avi? Or do I need to convert it to some other format first?

Now, I have downloaded a number of free video conversion programs that were listed in the video converison forum on how to convert .mp4 to .avi xvid/dvix, so I probably don't need to know what to do with a .h264 file. However just for future reference, what does one do with a raw .h264 file extracted from .mp4 to get it into a .avi file with aac or mp3 as audio?
    Quote Quote  
  2. .h264 is not completely compatible in .avi container. You get B-frame lag (if it was encoded with B-frames), and will experience playback problems on many players

Use YAMB to put it into a .mp4 container, or mkvmergegui to put it in a .mkv container

If you must use an .avi container (WHY?), you should probably re-encode it without B-frames (you will lose quality since it's a lossy codec)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    throw it up into the sky,
    and shoot bullets at it...

or
    avc2avi
    (excepting vfr)

mencoder..

tripp
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you're playing on a PC, you don't need to convert. VLC can play MP4 files fine. If you have a standalone DVD player that supports Divx/Xvid, it still won't play the file even if you could get it in an AVI container. AAC audio is also bad for standalone DVD players.

You can convert to Divx (I guess this is what you really mean by "AVI") with various tools such as AutoGK and Dr. Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    If you're playing on a PC, you don't need to convert. VLC can play MP4 files fine. If you have a standalone DVD player that supports Divx/Xvid, it still won't play the file even if you could get it in an AVI container. AAC audio is also bad for standalone DVD players.

You can convert to Divx (I guess this is what you really mean by "AVI") with various tools such as AutoGK and Dr. Divx.
    Well yea Divx or Xvid but I need in in an avi container and nothing else, so I had to say avi, heh.

I've downloaded most of the free video converters on this site but haven't gotten around to using them yet. I'll try them out. Thanks.
    Quote Quote