VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I`ve tried some programs to compress my DVD to avi, but unfortunately none satisfied my need. The DVD is from the PAL region just that it has 30FPS and the video looks best in that mode. All the programs that I have tried detected it as a PAL DVD and limited the frame rate to 25 which decreases the video`s quality. Is there any solution for my problem (it can be either free (preferred) or non-free software)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL DVD is 25 fps. Period. You cannot have a PAL DVD at 30 fps.

There have been several releases to what are considered PAL regions (4,2) that are in fact NTSC (23.976 or 29.970 fps). Perhaps you have one of those.

Start by first identifying what you really have. Use the latest G-Spot or MediaInfo to see what is inside the VOB files on the DVD. If you don't have VOB files, what do you have ?

You should also list the software you have tried, so we don't suggest something that has already failed you, or perhaps offer you suggestions on how to better configure said software.

Finally, automated tools are designed to make the process simple when doing generic tasks. However as soon as something abnormal occurs (PAL resolution with non-PAL framerates, for example), they tend to be unable to cope. Thankfully there are always manual methods to try to deal with these situations.

As always though, the more information you give us, the better able we are to help you.

Welcome to our happy home away from home.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Home away from home?

Hell I live here

Most likely the DVD is 29.970fps NTSC

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is what GSpot says:

And this is what MediaInfo says:
    Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : E:\VTS_01_1.VOB
    Format                           : MPEG-PS
    File size                        : 1024 MiB
    Duration                         : 26mn 38s
    Overall bit rate                 : 5375 Kbps

Video
    Format                           : MPEG Video
    Format version                   : Version 2
    Format profile                   : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix          : Standard
    Duration                         : 26mn 37s
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 4810 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate                 : 8000 Kbps
    Width                            : 720 pixels
    Height                           : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 4/3
    Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
    Standard                         : PAL
    Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
    Scan type                        : Interlaced
    Scan order                       : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.772

Audio
    Format                           : AC-3
    Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
    Duration                         : 26mn 38s
    Bit rate mode                    : Constant
    Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
    Channel positions                : C
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Menu
    Format                           : DVD-Video
    Still I can assure you that it has a bigger frame rate than 25!

The programs that I used are:

DVDx
    Magic DVD Ripper
    Alldj DVD To AVI Converter

And I cannot remember the rest, sorry.

Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Thank-you for the funny Welcome
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely a PAL DVD, and definitely 25 fps.

Try using AutoGk for oyur conversion. It works very well, and has never given me grief.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by andy_blah
    Still I can assure you that it has a bigger frame rate than 25!
    Wanna bet?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your DVD is 25 frames per second. But it's interlaced so it has 50 fields per second. If it is from a video source (camcorder, some TV shows) it may indeed have 50 different (half) pictures per second which would make it look much smoother than film.

You can produce a 50 frame per second AVI by performing a BOB deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, that`s what the diagnosis of the video is showing and I`ve tried that BOB deinterlace in VLC Media Player and that`s what it made me think that it has more than 25FPS (due the lack of video knowledge). Yes, the DVD is with Benny Hill, a UK sketch TV-show that was filmed 1955 (on BBC) and from 1969 to 1989(Thames Television). Then how should I do that Bob deinterlace when I rip the DVD to avi?
    Quote Quote  
  9. AviSynth has a simple BOB function. You can also get smart BOB filters that will work better. TDeint(mode=1), LeakKernelBob(), Yadif(mode=1), etc.

VirtualDub 1.8 has a simple Bob filter. And a slightly smarter Bob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would again suggest AutoGK. It does a very good job at correctly interpreting the video, deinterlacing if necessary, and encoding to Xvid/Divx.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I did that after you suggested me to use it the first time, but I didn`t see anywhere a deinterlace option. Plus that it took half a day to do the job for 2 chapters of the DVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It deinterlaces if it needs to - no user intervention required.

You will never get fast encoding speed with your machine. Low memory, low HDD space, and a slower, Celeron CPU all add up to slow encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...but I didn`t see anywhere a deinterlace option
    It doesn't give you a chance to mess it up. It has an automatic analysis that has a look and does what has to be done. Half a day sounds like a lot, I guess, so you might try a 1-pass Target Quality encode at the default 75%, which will save quite a bit of time, but won't give you a specified file size. You can specify the width, if you like, in the Advanced Settings.

Did you not allow it to complete? Do you still have the log file for that encode? If so, can you post it? If it completed, did the deinterlaced video look OK to you?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    It deinterlaces if it needs to - no user intervention required.

You will never get fast encoding speed with your machine. Low memory, low HDD space, and a slower, Celeron CPU all add up to slow encoding.
    I know that, but still it is slower than the other programs that are for ripping/converting

Originally Posted by manono
    It doesn't give you a chance to mess it up. It has an automatic analysis that has a look and does what has to be done. Half a day sounds like a lot, I guess, so you might try a 1-pass Target Quality encode at the default 75%, which will save quite a bit of time, but won't give you a specified file size. You can specify the width, if you like, in the Advanced Settings.

Did you not allow it to complete? Do you still have the log file for that encode? If so, can you post it? If it completed, did the deinterlaced video look OK to you?
    I left it to finish the job and the result was the same with the programs I tried before, anyway, nevermind about AutoGK, jagabo has helped me further over PM how to use VirtualDub to open VOB files/how to use those AviSynth scripts and now I`m fine, the video is ripped as I wished. Thank-you all for your help and especially to you jagabo!
    Quote Quote