VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently upgraded my computer and got an Asus 2014L OEM dvdrw drive with lightscribe.
    So far it has only been able to successfully play CD-Roms (rather slowly). When i insert a dvd it spins with difficulty and shows up as DVD-Ram (drive d) on my computer.

I want to know whether this is something that needs to be replaced or if the issue is something with my configuration.

It is running at DMA 5 and all my hardware exceeds the compatibility requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds somewhat like my DVD-RAM drive which I have to "Enable" for CD/DVD use in the Properties panel, [s:b7e37d5f25]Advanced[/s:b7e37d5f25] "Recording"" tab, i.e., take it out of -RAM mode. Yours might be expectting a DVD-RAM disc.

In My Computer (I've got Windows XP SP3), right click on the drive, then the [s:b7e37d5f25]Advanced[/s:b7e37d5f25] "Recording" tab and see if there's an "Enable" checkbox that's should be checked or vice versa???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in my computer (using windows XP sp2 with a Vista theme so it only looks like vista)

properties dialog
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's the "Recording" tab... sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Enable CD recording on this drive"

it's checked
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Must be something else then. but I don't have a clue... I had one bullet, and it missed!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks i appreciate it though
    Quote Quote  
  8. are you talking about playing a commercial dvd? have you set the region code yet?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it doesnt read any kind of dvd whatsoever

if not i would have installed vista when i upgraded it but it wouldnt even read the installation CD on startup... which leads me to think maybe it's a bios setting and if not that then the drive is corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could have a defective SATA signal cable. Try swapping it out (with the power off), then boot up and check for proper operation.

If swapping out the cable doesn't work, you might want to uninstall/reinstall the driver for your burner. You can do this via control panel/performance and maintenance/system/system properties/hardware/device manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives. Click on the Asus drive, then the driver tab at the top and choose uninstall. Following reboot, the driver reinstallation process should start automatically. Follow the prompts and check for proper operation once the reinstall process has been completed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Asus 2014L1 isn't a SATA dvd burner, it's a IDE/PATA.
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1977&l1=6&l2=35&l3=0&l4=0

To A+IT: are you using a 80 wire ide cable on the drive? Usually when a 80 wire ide cable isn't used the drive will not work correctly. I suggest you buy a new 80 wire ide cable for your drive. That would be the first step in figuring out whether or not your drive is defective or not. Just my 2 cents!

This should be in the DVD Rewriter section.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed. Moving to DVD & Blu-ray Writers forum.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried 2 80-wire cables so far, i'll try a brand new one though, i'll also try the reinstall and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by A+IT
    I've tried 2 80-wire cables so far, i'll try a brand new one though, i'll also try the reinstall and see what happens
    Buying a brand spanking new 80 wire ide cable would be the best bet at this point. Get one of those flat ribbon 80 wire ide cables.
    Quote Quote