VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the very vauge title, couldnt think of anything with less than 1000 words.

Anyway, i have a question regarding streaming videos from my PC to PS3.
    I have a lot of dvd's (as do most of us nowadays), and i want to ge rid of my huge shelf, which is taking up my subwoofer space -_-. However, i need subtitles, because my parents cant stand to watch movies without them. So, here is exactly what i want to do:

- Have all my DVD's on my PC HDD (in VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS format).
    - Stream them from the ps3, with menus, and subtitles, 5.1 channel sound.

im pretty sure im outside the bounds of reality, but never hurts to check
    and if not, is there a way i can get this result without using a ps3? (im willing to buy new hardware)

I know of the whole change the .vob to a .mpeg, and it works. but i would LoVe subs and menus.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-
    - Have all my DVD's on my PC HDD (in VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS format).
    So you want to play unaltered DVDs. You'll get menus. If they have subs, you'll get subs.
    I know of the whole change the .vob to a .mpeg, and it works.
    Based on the earlier quotation, you're not using MPGs.

I don't know anything about PS3's, but you can easily do what you want by using your PC as an HTPC, or by creating one for the purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - use tversity.

One note about streaming dvds over an ethernet line - even at 100mbps wired it seems to take awhile to fast forward. And at least with my one test run I couldn't get chapters to copy over.

But tversity is a great place to start for the ps3.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Let's see, say 100 full DVDs at an average of 7GB each = 700GB. Or if you have more.... Not a major problem, but you will need a fair amount of hard drive space. A 1TB drive would be one place to start. You could also run them through DVD Shrink and reduce their size by about one third.

H.264, Divx. Xvid would give you more compaction, but at the expense of menus, maybe subtitle problems and a whole lot of encoding time. I would stick with the DVD format if possible. Optionally, you could use a multi disc DVD changer like a Sony DVP-CX995V or similar.

I have about 6TB storage at present for video and play them over a LAN connection with no problems. I don't recall fast forwarding very often unless the movie is really, really bad, though.

BTW, Grimfate126, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote