VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm tinkering with looking at a different isp. I am getting sub .5mb dsl speed with at&t for 25.00 a month. I'd love to go faster for not much more than 30.00 a month if its possible.

I know comcast is offering the 33.00 a month for cable/voip/internet for a year. However I don't want voip. Also I believe the regular comcast rate for their slowest net speed is like 40.00 a month.

What about things like the wireless companies usb adapters for laptops? You know like Verizon? How do those rate for speed and price?

Also would you be able to get a router from them to share with multiple computers and game consoles? Please note this would not be for a laptop - I do have a laptop but its an ancient p2 running win98.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Please note this is not an instant need just research for the future.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know about your areae but the service here with Comcast is top notch. Speeds are always fast and actually faster than waht I'm paying for according to the speedtests online. Rarely ever goes out and when it does it's usually just a short time. It is expensive though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i dunno about direct comparison but broadbandreports.com lets you look at reviews of various ISPs in your area
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the Cellular modems have some latency issues and are not exactly superfast, they can also be pricey. the upside is you get internet everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bump.

Well I missed the responses on this thread. Sorry about that. Thanks coalman and faustus.

@coalman - I do have comcast cable but not internet. The cheapest net service is 40 a month here and a little more than I'm interested in spending.

However there is Cavalier internet and phone that looks interesting. That is net and phone for 50 a month. It does seem to be VOIP as it is mentioned on the website. What kind of progress has been made on VOIP? What's quality like? Also what about backup power for VOIP? How long is it now?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got the Comcast Triple Play for 115.00 a month. I have the 6 meg service. The battery backup will run the phone for about 8 hrs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How is the voice quality on the voip bodyslide?

How is the voip installed? Do you hook up special trasnmitters and receivers at the phone bases that connect to the wireless router? Is there any way to expand the backup time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Add dslreports.com in there as well.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313

How is the voip installed? Do you hook up special trasnmitters and receivers at the phone bases that connect to the wireless router? Is there any way to expand the backup time?
    Call quality is excellent on Comcast. When they installed it, they replaced my old modem with a new one. It has a battery in it and has a phone output. Can't really answer your other question since I just plug my phone into the modem. Phone wiring in my house is a nightmare so I told the technician to not even bother since the phone was going to be in the same room anyway.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks rallynavvie.

Do any offer "estimated speeds" for dsl companies? I mean the foot distance to the telco hub for dsl speed?

If so please let me know. I know you can get speed tests for your existing internet connection but I'd be interested in comparisons of actual expected speeds for various companies.

EDIT - Thanks conquest10. It's nice to get a real world "unpaid" endorsement for VOIP. Since I don't know anybody who has it this is useful information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313

Voice quality is fine. I have my cordless phone hooked straight to the modem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks bodyslide. Well that's two plus votes for VOIP. I'll keep it in mind.
    Quote Quote