VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am considering purchasing a used Philips DVDR. The current owner says that when a disk is loaded, the screen displays "Load" Then "E-1" I cannot find any reference to the error message in the .pdf manual. Any suggestions or experience with this error message, what it means, if this console is worth buying.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The error messages are listed on pg 45, but E1 is not explained. It could easily be just a bad disc or one the 3575 doesn't like.

If the price is right, I *think* you have a good chance to get things to work with a complete factory reset, plus there are some "Skip Codes" that can provide info on its prior usage, etc., as described in this post.

The Codes you'd be interested in are:

1. SKIP-1-2-3 for FW status/versions. If it hasn't been updated, there is one FW update online that will "clean out" the machine to factory fresh as it updates the FW.

2. SKIP-3-2-1 for Laser Diode (LD) Op Times, to tell you how many hours the LD has been used.

3. SKIP-6-5-4 for an actual FW update, using a data disc created from the downloadable file on the Philips Support website.

4. SKIP-9-8-7 for a Mfgrs Process Adjustment for some sort of adjustment based on a DVD-R and DVD+R. Not sure exactly what it does, but it's harmless and may do some good if there is some disc-reading maladjustment.

Anyway, you can get Factory Refreshed units from Philips for $199 with free shipping. Some people report finding new 3575's at Wal-Mart for $200 or less, and I've seen a couple of new ones at my W-M for $140 as a basis for comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the response.

I will check it out.

The current price is $75+shipping..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Buying a recorder that doesn't work right is a mistake. You're probably throwing your money away. I've bought more than a few DVD recorders on Ebay, some working, some not, I've yet to see a non working recorder that was a simple fix. If anything, sellers tend to understate problems. Wal Mart near me has plenty of 3575s and 3576s for $200. If you want one cheaper than that, go to Live Search and do a few searches until one comes up 20% off at Ebay and then use buy it now to purchase one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure about the 3575, but on my 3576, when I turn it on, it says "Load", then "E1" indicating that E1 is the video input that I'm using. (This is the back input, where my sat box is plugged.) Sounds like the same thing.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you sure that E1 isn't L1?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO, since I dont have the unit, I only know what I was told. They specifically said E-1. Why? Is there a difference?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sami,
    If that was for me, no, it is definitely E1. The manual also refers to this input as E1.
    Matt
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just turned mine on and E1 is the input line with which I receive my cable box through S-Video. As with my 720/17, Philips calls its input line "External" as in connecting an external device. For the 3575, E1 is the rear composite/S-Video+L&R audio input and E2 in the front input. To change the source, top left side button on the remote.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wondered what the "E" stood for. Since the manual was obviously translated, it could have been anything.
    Quote Quote