VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm taking backup's from my old VHS tapes to DVD. I've read the excellent HOWTO on this forum about that but i've got a question. I have a hauppauge PVR-350 which has an onboard mpeg encoder. Using the ivtv driver i can set the bitrate and all that. Now i wonder how to continue. Standard it gives an mpeg at 6000 kbps at 720x576. And so i could burn it to dvd directly. But i still want to use mencoder to crop the noise on the bottem and sides and clean the image a bit up. What should i do: just let mencoder recode the mpeg (like in the HOWTO) or just use the filters?

Further i have another question. The source are VHS tapes (PAL). This is ofcourse interlaced. I've read that you lose a lot of information when you deinterlace. How do you decide when to deinterlace and when not?

And last: does anyone have a recommendation to which filters i should look into to cleanup the image? The (S)VHS tapes are quite old (beginning of the 90's).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

If you want to do post production on these tapes, using the equipment you already have. I would suggest capturing with the Hauppage at 12000kbps or 12mbps, this is of course out of standard for DVD but if you want to crop and clean up the image, it will give you the best image quality that the Hauppage is capable of to start with. After that you could use AviDemux to crop and filter and then convert to DVD Compliant MPEG-2, Another option that would be even better is to use the Linux version of the hcbatchGUI, it requires a couple of Windows apps (AviSynth, DG Pulldown) that run under Wine, but the filtering abilities afforded by AviSynth are well worth it.

The only caveat is that the hcbatchGUI is intended for DV AVI to DVD Conversions, I'm not sure if it will accept MPEG-2 as input, The best idea would be to PM the developer who is a member here, freebird73717.

If you don't mind me asking could you share your ivtv terminal commands? many people would be interested in knowing what commands can be used with the Hauppage cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Hauppauge can do 15,000kbps CBR for the video even though they only claim it can do 12,000kbps

So do a 15,000kbps CBR for the video.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here is my tutorial for video capture with Linux (much easier than the other methods that I've read about):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355880-Tutorial-Video-capturing-VHS-using-Linux-%28...-VLC-player%29
    Quote Quote