VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I need to convert a few DV's recorded in PAL format. The problem is that I now only have a NTSC DV camcorder for "playback". So, I am not sure how to feed the DV signal to computer using NTSC "player", while the tapes are PAL? Can I just play the PAL tapes in NTSC camcorder, capture the DV feed in computer through firewire, and then run the conversion on the AVI files created by the capture program? Or, does the conversion would have to be done by the capture software at the time of recording to harddrive? Or, am I out of luck, and have to have a PAL camcorder/player to feed the capture signal to computer?

If it is possible, I will also appreciate a recommendation of software package? Can Adobe Premiere do it?

thanks much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by inspiron2
    Hi,

I need to convert a few DV's recorded in PAL format. The problem is that I now only have a NTSC DV camcorder for "playback". So, I am not sure how to feed the DV signal to computer using NTSC "player", while the tapes are PAL? Can I just play the PAL tapes in NTSC camcorder, capture the DV feed in computer through firewire, and then run the conversion on the AVI files created by the capture program? Or, does the conversion would have to be done by the capture software at the time of recording to harddrive? Or, am I out of luck, and have to have a PAL camcorder/player to feed the capture signal to computer?

If it is possible, I will also appreciate a recommendation of software package? Can Adobe Premiere do it?

thanks much.
    Have you tried playing these in your camcorder? Almost all consumer NTSC DV camcorders fail to play PAL DV. Some upper range pro camcorders and decks will play PAL DV to the LCD and some transfer. Your options are a dub house or borrow/rent a PAL DV camcorder/player. I see PAL camcorders on Craigslist often.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. In addition to edDV's advice, sometimes they may appear not to play (e.g., on the LCD or external TV) but the signal still gets sent via FireWire (not very common, though).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    In addition to edDV's advice, sometimes they may appear not to play (e.g., on the LCD or external TV) but the signal still gets sent via FireWire (not very common, though).
    If that was the case, you would see PAL video in the WinDV preview monitor while playing the tape to Firewire.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes. It is important to have the PAL tape cued (playing or paused) so that the capture software is told by Windows that the DV signal is PAL. If the tape isn't playing/paused, Windows will state it is NTSC.
    Quote Quote