VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a a program that will read a commercial movie DVD, like one you could purchase from Netflix or Blockbuster, and output the following header information about the movie. It's essentially what I would call the header information. The following example is for a movie named "Employee of the Month". Does a program exist that will quickly and easily read this information and allow me to output it to a file? The scenario would be something like: Load the DVD in the computer, program reads header info and stores in a file, ejects DVD, load the next DVD, etc.

Thank you for your time,
    Rick

Movie description
    Four seasoned comic actors shine in this wacky tale of a day that starts out badly and quickly devolves into outright catastrophe. Matt Dillon plays a handsome thirty-something Joe who seems to have it all--a lovely blond fiancee (MARRIED WITH CHILDREN's Christina Applegate) and a high paying job at a bank. In one morning however, he is dually dumped--by both his girlfriend and his boss. Reeling from the shock, our hero becomes vulnerable to the get-rich-quick scheming of his best friend, and soon finds himself caught up in a bank robbing spree!

Credits
    Cast: Christina Applegate, Dave Foley, Matt Dillon, Steve Zahn

Notes
    DVD Features:

Region 1
    Keep Case
    Widescreen - 1.85
    Audio:
    Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0 - English
    Closed Caption - English
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This information doesn't exist on the DVD. At best you can find out the aspect ratio, format, resolution, number and type of audio tracks, number and languages of subtitles tracks (assuming it has been authored correctly) etc. Technical specs. There might even be an identifier for the disc, but it will be just a code number, nothing more.

If you google you will find plenty of DVD cataloging applications that can retrieve this type of information from on-line databases based on barcodes or identifiers, however it doesn't come from the disc itself, because it simply isn't stored there.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the quick response guns1inger. At least now I know the information isn't stored there. Another question. Let's say I purchase a used copy of "Pulp Fiction" and it doesn't have the jewel case with it; just the DVD. Now, I have no problem knowing it's Pulp Fiction and I know I can search a movie catalog database to gather certain information like the title, description, actors, etc. What I need to know, but can't easily determine, is the actual version of "Pulp Fiction" I have. That is, I could have the original version, the director's cut, the 'special edition', etc., but I really don't know. Is there information available on the DVD that would reveal this information? The DVD doesn't have a barcode.

I have a client who sells used DVDs on EBay, hundreds of them, and he's spending an inordinate amount of time loading the DVDs, waiting for them to start to determine the actual cut of the movie, then searches the internet for the descriptor information, then cuts/pastes the information to the EBay sales page and the process repeats. I'm trying to determine if a more efficient method exists to accomplish this task. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So he has original DVDs, but no original cases ? And it doesn't say what the disc is on the printed surface ? The simple answer is to keep the case, or at least the insert.

Below is what DVDInfo Pro says about a commercial disc

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID N/A Pressed DVD
    UDF Format Type V1.02
    UDF Volume Name BRUSH_OFF
    UDF Application id None
    UDF Implementation id Spruce Technologies
    UDF Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/ 3/2005 10:33:30
    Format Capacity 6.26GB(6.72GB)
    Book Type DVD-ROM
    Media Type DVD-ROM