VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonder if this post will be moved off topic even though its to do with blue poo. Like last one was about ps3 (blue poo player) or maybe your either getting a bung from Fony or youre just another Fony Fan boy.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/07/01/sony-s-blu-ray-will-keep-them-winning-new-format-war

ROOTKITS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or it's simply not news, just another opinion piece. There is little difference between a fanboy (of any type), and a rabid hater. Both are fanatics, just at opposite ends of the same spectrum. Perhaps if you didn't couch your posts in such unabashed vitriol, they would be taken more seriously.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    ...There is little difference between a fanboy (of any type), and a rabid hater ... Perhaps if you didn't couch your posts in such unabashed vitriol, they would be taken more seriously.
    Indeed. Though I fear that it is probably far too late for redemption of any sort in the case of this particular individual...

Originally Posted by Chris Tompkins
    ...Right now, Sony has an expensive, money-losing, Blu-ray box in the PS3, that can't seem to decide if it's made for watching movies, playing games, or streaming media. It's classic Sony behavior, releasing devices and proprietary technologies which don't focus on the features that average consumers crave. It happened when Sony's miniscule RAM-based MP3 players were largely ignored for Apple's hard disk-based iPods. Storage space -- not physical size -- ended up being the feature music junkies desired. It's happening again with the Playstation 3...
    Let us not forget DAT, MiniDisc, BetaMax, UMD...

Fortunately the PS3 is a bad-ass gaming rig and that alone will keep it alive and kicking for a good many years.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @NICEBUD: If it has escaped you, PS3 is a game console. Many devices can play video - My phone can, but I wouldn't post about a firmware update gone wrong for my iPhone under Video News at VideoHelp, would I?
    The article you linked to is however not news, so I'll move it to general, as it's at least video related.

Originally Posted by Sticky
    What to post in Latest News

Post any video related news here such as new or updated tools, hardware, guides, sites and similiar.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought so.How much are you FONYS fanboys getting paid?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, wish I was paid everytime I played a High Def/high quality video on the PS3..Dam them!....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NICEBUD
    I thought so.How much are you FONYS fanboys getting paid?
    Yeah, right. I can count the number of Sony products I have on 1 finger - an aging and now unused PS1.

We all understand that you hate Sony, for whatever reason it is you use to justify it. Care factor ? Zero.

Post real news instead of pointless and obviously biased articles that simply support your paranoia instead of actually containing, well, news, or go find an anti-Sony forum so you can get a lot back slapping and cheering when you post. Personally I could care less about Sony, Microsoft, Apple et al. I just don't get the rabid fanboy or rabid hater mentally, and I don't like having it thrust upon me.

Perhaps Baldrick could start a new forum for the fanboys and haters. Apple fanboys can go and wax lyrical about the pseudo-HD wonders of Apple TV, and NICEBUD can create the worlds longest post of anti-Sony links. And I don't have to put up with this type of guff pushing the real posts down the page.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    about the pseudo-HD wonders of Apple TV,
    Wait a minute I thought the Apple tv was component out only? Or does it have HDMI now? If it is component out then it is really a backward device without "true" hdtv capability then
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, right. I can count the number of Sony products I have on 1 finger - an aging and now unused PS1.
    tear it down and make a frisbee or two,
    it's never been good for much else
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does have HDMI, but requires HDCP, and only has a max of 720p regardless. For my money, if it can't do 1080i as a minimum, it's not really HD and nothing to boast about.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh ok didn't know about hdmi for apple tv. HOwever limited to 720p??? Thats hardly high end hd. That is just "midrange".

I wonder if it that would be upgradeable through firmware or if that is a physical limitation of the hardware itself.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The original article talks about downloadable/streaming HD video to be "the wave of the future" as opposed to pre-recorded formats like Blu-Ray.

I think it is important to realize that this is more than Blu-Ray. It basically applies to any pre-recorded video and/or audio format. One could argue that Blu-Ray is the "king" of video pre-recorded formats in terms of quality so it will be the "whipping boy" for such arguments for downloading/streaming but such a "model" could also mean of course the end of the DVD Video disc or the end of the audio CD etc.

I for one never download such stuff. I find that anything widescreen on PPV is usually wrong (with 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies almost always cropped to 16x9) and the idea of paying 99 cents for a MP3 file is stupid to me. I almost broke down and was ready to download the soundtrack to the video game ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION as the company choose to only make it available as a download ... until I realized it was DRM and could only be played back under a MS WINDOWS O/S. Screw that!

The problems I have with downloading/streaming video content is that quality is usually lacking. Broacast or PPV HDTV can look and sound good but won't be as "perfect" as Blu-Ray.

As for audio ... I work at a place that has a STAR BUCKS and I go there often for coffee and they have all this Apple iTunes crap for sale. In some instances they want me to buy a "card" for as much as $11.99 and I can then go download the full album in MP3 from Iturns. Excuse me? I can probably buy the actual CD for that price (or damn close to it if perhaps a bit more). It's silly and stupid.

I guess it boils down to this for me: Downloadable/streaming content is either overpriced for what it is and/or it is technically inferior to pre-recorded formats. Therefore it does not appeal to me at all.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My problem with downloadable video is file size. I have sub .5mb dsl speed so it will take a long time to download something in the range of 1gb and up for high def video.

Audio is no problem but any high quality video will be time consuming. And forget streaming for me. I can't even realiably stream sd content from the net without buffering issues.

I don't really want to pay dramitcally more for 1mb+ speeds for video when I can have it on a physical medium that will play without issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...no matter what we like, non physical distribution of media will be dominating in the close future - It doesn't take a Sony hater to realize that, and it's hardly news. If nothing else, media giants will have even bigger control over what we watch, how, when and where.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  15. I find it hard to take seriously anyone that will do something such as call Sony Fony and spews such vitriolic hatred.

It's enough to make me want to run out and look at Sony for my next electronic purchase just as a reaction to such unreasoning hatred.

I'n not that term you use to denigrate anybody that doesn't agree with you, fanboy....

I have Pioneer, JVC, Philips, Westinghouse, Sony and Dell electronics that I use and they all work as intended and do what they were bought to do. The Sony plays its 400 DVDs as designed. The Philps upscales Divx/XVid/WMV/Mpg and DVD as it said it would. The Pioneer records DVDs from the internal hard drive as designed, The JVC is a superb S-VHS deck and so on.

Going out on a limb here, I'm guessing your hatred stems from the way they copy protect their pre-recorded media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or he's pissed because he can't afford a PS3...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Me love my PS3 ... in fact I just bought a new game tonight ... HEAVENLY SWORD ... oh yeah !!!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma! Resistance! Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Remix! Orange Box!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma! Resistance! Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo Remix! Orange Box!
    For a multi-player FPS would you suggest ORANGE BOX or UNREAL TOURNAMENT III ???

These two both interest me (not into "realistic" FPS games like CALL OF DUTY etc.)

I briefly played the PS3 demo of QUAKE WARS but I just wasn't feeling it man *shrug*

Played a bit of HEAVENLY SWORD last night ... pretty awesome

P.S.
    I currently own the following PS3 games:
    - MOTORSTORM (This came with my 80GB PS3 package)
    - UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE
    - BURNOUT: PARADISE (CITY)
    - ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION
    - HEAVENLY SWORD
    - CONAN (I actually don't own this but had rented it and enjoyed it and plan on buying it at some point)

My next purchase will probably be CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION which is due out in a few more days from now. I'm addicted to the demo LOL
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by NICEBUD
    Wonder if this post will be moved off topic even though its to do with blue poo. Like last one was about ps3 (blue poo player) or maybe your either getting a bung from Fony or youre just another Fony Fan boy.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/07/01/sony-s-blu-ray-will-keep-them-winning-new-format-war

ROOTKITS
    Dont tell me your one of those people who ran out and bought a HD-DVD player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't played any multiplayer in Orange Box yet.
    Haven't played Unreal Tourney at all....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    @NICEBUD: If it has escaped you, PS3 is a game console. Many devices can play video - My phone can, but I wouldn't post about a firmware update gone wrong for my iPhone under Video News at VideoHelp, would I?
    The article you linked to is however not news, so I'll move it to general, as it's at least video related.

Originally Posted by Sticky
    What to post in Latest News

Post any video related news here such as new or updated tools, hardware, guides, sites and similiar.
    /Mats

You and your little tiny foney click carnt read the other posts

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353000.html

guns1inger " for whatever reason it is you use to justify it. Care factor ? Zero "

Nobody cares what you think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NICEBUD

guns1inger " for whatever reason it is you use to justify it. Care factor ? Zero "

Nobody cares what you think
    Oh, you have hurt me so with your well reasoned and witty comeback. The almost two weeks it has taken to formulate your impenetrable argument was obviously time well spent. I shall now slink off and lick my wounds.

BTW - my Mum cares what I think. Does yours even know where you are ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course she does! All she has to do is open the door to basement and yell down at him...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xylob the Destroyer

Do you live your muma ? I thought so.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I live with my wife in the house we bought two years ago.
    Thanks for asking, sonny.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The sad thing is that there may actually be a point of discussion under all of his name-calling and assorted verbal diarrhea. It's a shame we'll likely never see it.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Of course she does! All she has to do is open the door to basement and yell down at him...
    Just curious is that living down in the basement bit supposed to be funny or a put down? Is it from some movie or TV show I don't watch?

With things going right $$wise my next humble abode would be constructed into a hillside with earth overhead and one exterior wall facing east with windows as a way to save energy. Noise reduction too. When I'm on the computer that is located in the basement I barely hear thunderstorms or that idiot that runs around with the Boom boom boom speakers in his car. Not to mention in Tornado alley that is probably the safest way to live. Permanent storm cellar. When I'm in the living room watching TV that same idiot completely ruins the watching until he is out of earshot. DVR and DVD player to the rescue there so I can back up and hear the dialog clearly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Just curious is that living down in the basement bit supposed to be funny or a put down? Is it from some movie or TV show I don't watch?
    It's a put down. In my experience, it's usually used to describe Star Trek fans as socially awkward 35-year-old geeks who are still living in their parents' basements. (See: William Shatner's "Get a Life!" sketch from Saturday Night Live.)
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote