VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thought you guys may enjoy it: http://www.gabejacobsblog.com/5-helpful-tips-when-shooting-video

I had a guest writer on my blog named Kevin Stauss. Just wanted to see if you thought his tips were good. Do you think they are amateurish?

Any feedback would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Don’t center your shots
    I disagree:weddings and other special occasions should always have the main subject front and center.

2. Don’t shoot too close to the edges
    I agree:keep the main subject front and center.

3. Use your view finder
    I agree:most LCD screens are not color and white balance accurate.

4. Use two hands
    Better yet use a tripod.

5. Don’t zoom if you don’t have to
    I agree:zooming enhances camera shaking.

I don't like handheld(unless I'm on vacation) because I like a smooth and fluid presentation.Weddings and other special occasions should always be shot with a tripod,you can freehand the camcorder for the reception.If you are making a movie such as Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield then shooting freehand can give the film a certain feel but I still don't like it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is from kevin stauss (the writer of the post)

"I totally agree with the fact that you should center your shots for such things as weddings, but for shooting a film/short film/anything else along those lines, it makes the image more interesting. "
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Zooming also looks like, well, zooming. While zooms are used in movies, they are usually few and far between. Dolly shots look far better. And yes, filming at full zoom does tend to exaggerate any camera movement.

As for centering or not centering, or filming subjects at the edge of frame - these are stylistic choices that are dependent on the film, the film maker and the occasion. You may chose to keep the subject centred, but film through a doorway, thereby introducing a new framing of the subject within the shot. There is no hard and fast rule here.

Many new cameras at the consumer level either do not have a view finder, or have a fixed, and therefor limited, view finder. Be aware of this when making your purchase.

Not only use a tripod, but look at some of the many sites that now show you how to build your own Steadicam and dolly rigs. This can expand you film making horizons and helps a lot with the 'film' look.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably better in the DV / HDV forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Centre / not centre...

Composition is very different for:
    A) 4x3
    B) 16x9
    C) 16x9 shot 4x3 safe (so it can be cropped to 4x3)

By definition, the important stuff in C needs to be in the centre 75% of the frame (or narrower, to allow for overscan).

However, almost all interesting compositions for B have the subject off-centre. Which makes C a painful compromise!

A is much easier, but no one uses it anymore (or if you do, try visiting a TV shop - screen shapes have changed!)

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a bit amateurish. Here's some information to help it:

1. This is called "Rule of Thirds", and is a photographic term. In general, yes, do this. But it's not an "always" kind of rule. I don't think weddings are so special that all shots call for centering, only the "at the alter" video (and for Pete's sake, do not stand BEHIND the bride/groom, you cannot see crap from that angle).

2. Maybe, maybe not. Some cameras already compensate for overscanning on playback devices (television). Know your equipment. If you're shooting progressive (maybe even HD), you can alter a lot of this in editing (interlaced-shot video is a huge pain in the ass to edit in this fashion).

3. Again, know the equipment. If your viewfinder is only 95%, while the LCD is 99%, then you're wrong. That happens. In general, yes, use the viewfinder. You do know that professional cameras (for example, the Red -- seen it up close and in action, sweet sweet camera!) have preview screens? The commercial I saw being shot was never looked at through the viewfinder that I could tell. Some cameras do have quite good LCDs, even at the consumer level.

4. Yeah, but not the first choice to steady your shots. Use a monopod or tripod. Even better idea.

5. Zoom before you start, then leave it alone. Unless it's just so super important (and you'll edit out your sucky zoom later). Or unless you've got steady-cam hardware in use (not software).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Yes, a bit amateurish. Here's some information to help it:

1. This is called "Rule of Thirds", and is a photographic term. In general, yes, do this. But it's not an "always" kind of rule. I don't think weddings are so special that all shots call for centering, only the "at the alter" video (and for Pete's sake, do not stand BEHIND the bride/groom, you cannot see crap from that angle).

2. Maybe, maybe not. Some cameras already compensate for overscanning on playback devices (television). Know your equipment. If you're shooting progressive (maybe even HD), you can alter a lot of this in editing (interlaced-shot video is a huge pain in the ass to edit in this fashion).

3. Again, know the equipment. If your viewfinder is only 95%, while the LCD is 99%, then you're wrong. That happens. In general, yes, use the viewfinder. You do know that professional cameras (for example, the Red -- seen it up close and in action, sweet sweet camera!) have preview screens? The commercial I saw being shot was never looked at through the viewfinder that I could tell. Some cameras do have quite good LCDs, even at the consumer level.

4. Yeah, but not the first choice to steady your shots. Use a monopod or tripod. Even better idea.

5. Zoom before you start, then leave it alone. Unless it's just so super important (and you'll edit out your sucky zoom later). Or unless you've got steady-cam hardware in use (not software).
    Kevin here. I know exactly what you're saying. I guess my post was more about shooting films and the sort and I didn't think about live events such as weddings.

1. It's a tip. You don't have to do it, but generally it makes the overall picture more pleasing to the eye.
    2. It's best not to chance it, so don't shoot too close to the edges.
    3. I would still stick to the viewfinder, just a personal preference.
    4. Well, if you don't have a tripod or monopod, then #4 was a tip on how to get steadier shots. A tripod isn't going to help smooth a tracking shot out, and not everyone has a monopod.
    5. What I meant to say was not to zoom during the shot. When establishing the shot, it doesn't matter if you zoom (and you obviously should if it helps your shot).

-Kevin
    Quote Quote