VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right. I've got a dual audio .AVI (Xvid) video file and an .idx and .sub file I want to add to it. I do not want to hard-code the subs or convert them to regular .txt or.srt files. I want to be able to turn them on or off during video playback in VLC media player. I already know they work separated with the exact file names.

I don't care if I have to re-encode the video in .divx or .xvid as long as it doesn't greatly reduce the video quality. For two days, I've searched for a way to simply merge them together either by re-encoding the video or some other method.

Can ya help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please change the topic subject so it better describes your problem. Just click on the edit-button to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can make an avi with embedded subtitles using avimuxgui but the subtitles doesn't work in vlc media player.

So I guess you have to make a mkv with embedded subtitles if you want ONE file. Use mkvtoolnix, you don't have to reconvert the video.

edit: See http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/en/ch03.html#id306989
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by NextJinGamer
    All right. I've got a dual audio .AVI (Xvid) video file and an .idx and .sub file I want to add to it. I do not want to hard-code the subs or convert them to regular .txt or.srt files. I want to be able to turn them on or off during video playback in VLC media player. I already know they work separated with the exact file names.

I don't care if I have to re-encode the video in .divx or .xvid as long as it doesn't greatly reduce the video quality. For two days, I've searched for a way to simply merge them together either by re-encoding the video or some other method.

Can ya help me?
    Your question isn't really clear to me.

Do you just want to turn them off/on and switch languages? If so just right click and access the subtitles options (you can switch languages, turn off, etc...). You can do this "on the fly" during playback

or, did you want to place all 3 files (.avi, txt, and .srt) into 1 container? If so, then do what Baldrick suggested and use mkvmergegui to put everything you want into an .mkv container. No re-encoding.

I guess I'm confused by what "merge them together" means
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll try what Baldrick suggested. I wanted to create an .avi with multiple audio and subtitle tracks.

Oh yeah, there's one more thing I've been meaning to ask you guys. Is it possible to convert .idx/.sub to .srt with the same fonts, colors and / or images?
    Quote Quote