VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For MKV files, do the videos that are inside them sometimes have a ".H264" (Example: Myvideo.h264)? This is for an application I am writting and I cannot remember if this was the case (4 letters in the extension) as I cannot find one on the internet at the moment.

Also, if anyone knows of an MKV like this please post the link or shoot me a pm for testing purposes.

Also, have there every been any issues with MKVExtract trying to extract these kinds of files? I never extract video, so I am not sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mkv I believe is a container just like avi. It can pretty much hold any video type. As for the other questions I'm sorry I don't use mkv.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. "myvideo.h.264" would be the raw video stream using h.264 codec which is inside the .mkv container.

The .mkv container can contain multiple streams of audio, subtitles, attachements, etc...

mkvextractgui can usually extract the raw streams without problems, but sometimes the file is corrupted and it would then have problems

You can't do very much with a raw video stream. It needs to be in a container for you to view, edit or process it using most programs

Here is a sample h.264/aac .mkv from the ironman apple movie trailer

Cheers

ironman.mkv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response.

I have been working with MKV files for quite a while. I remember on occassion seeing a ".h264" extension. However, I never ever extract video and audio, I just get Subs and let FFMPeg get the audio.

With the app I am writing, I have to think about all of the things I never do but others might.

I was thinking about excluding the ".h264" extension from being extracted, but I may just keep it in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the sample PoisoneDeathRay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you do extract raw h264 then you can put it in an avi container using

avc2avi

Syntax: avc2avi [options] [ -i input.h264 ] [ -o output.avi ]
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote