VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hello!

I have a problem, I try to author a DVD in GUI for DVD author (using Muxman instead of dvdauthor) and input my subtitles in SUP format (other formats doesn't work while using MuxMan).

My problem is: At first I got a .srt file which I convert with SubtitleCreator to .sup file. Then when I add my .sup file in GfD and create my DVD My subtitles shows in red color (don't know how to change this in SubtitleCreator) and they begin in the middle of the screen and dissapear to the right (so I'm not abel to see the whole text). Please Help! How do I fix thoes subtitles

regards

Michal
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can easily change the sub colors and positioning using DVDSubEdit. Open all the VOBs at once. Reading the parts of the included guide that have to do with your problem might be a help.

You could probably set it up correctly using SubtitleCreator, but since I don't use it for that I don't know how.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My subtitles shows in red color
    The colors of the subtitles are located in the IFO file associated to your DVD VOB not in the SUP file. For SubtitleCreator to correctly match the colors it uses with your DVD, please first open the associated IFO file before generating the SUP file.
    It should then work fine.
    Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    You can easily change the sub colors and positioning using DVDSubEdit.
    hm I have now downloaded this program and it helped me a bit.. I have now changed the color of my subs. from red to white...and tried to move them to the left... but I have notised that my subs look like thoes while I check off the "set video frame" button in DVDSubEdit...and I don't know how to fix them so they look normal again help!

I have also tried to move them a bit to the left but there is still a bit that dissapears to the right of the screen. The size of my subtitles seems to be too big...how do I make them smaller ?

please first open the associated IFO file before generating the SUP file.
    But I have to convert a SUP file from my SRT before I crate IFO so how do you mean?

michcio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi-
    but I have notised that my subs look like thoes while I check off the "set video frame" button in DVDSubEdit...and I don't know how to fix them so they look normal again help!
    Sorry, but I didn't understand any of that.
    I have also tried to move them a bit to the left but there is still a bit that dissapears to the right of the screen. The size of my subtitles seems to be too big...how do I make them smaller ?
    If they really are too big, then you go back to the program you used to create them and start over again. Again though, I don't use SubtitleCreator for creating DVD subtitles (I use MaestroSBT), so I can't help with the specifics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Hi-
    Sorry, but I didn't understand any of that.
    what I ment was: When I open my .sup file in DVDSubEdit my subtitles seem to be ok...(but they aren't when I click show DVD in GfD they are moved to the right). And when I check of the "show video frame" button then they look like these in GfD when I try to "show DVD".

If you still don't understand what I mean looka at the pictures below:

If they really are too big, then you go back to the program you used to create them and start over again.
    I don't know are my subtitles to big?!

I can also show you a picture how it look like when I move my subtitles to the left in DVDSubEdit

here the subtitles seems to be fine but then in some places:

and when a person in the movie talks much some of the subtitle are still outside the movie frame:

So how do I make my subtitle centered again and shall I first make them smaller?!

I hope my picture wasn't to hard to understand...

Michal
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry, but I can't help as I've never had the problem. You might have better luck over at Doom9. Although manusse (the SubtitleCreator guy) comes here often, and jeanl (the DVDSubEdit guy) comes here sometimes, Doom9 is perhaps the home base for both. Since you obviously put a lot of work into your last post, you might want to point them (jeanl, especially) to your post. Or maybe matusse, since he's already posted in this thread, will show up to help again as best he can. It seems to me that you must have done a few things wrong when creating the subs in SubtitleCreator, and he should be able to help with that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also think that the SUP file is 'corrupted' in some way. That's probably nothing which can be solved in GfD itself. The first thing I would try is to redo the conversion from srt to sup (maybe with another program).
    Another possibility would be to convert the srt file to ssa and the render the subtitles with MaestroSBT (then you will also need the development version of GfD - have a look to this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic339258.html ).
    Just out of curiosity: Can you post (or send me by mail) a short SUP file (containing only a few of these 'currupted' subtitles)?
    Quote Quote  
  9. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think your problem is that your final product is half-D1 (352 x 576), I once had a similar problem when using SubtitleCreator in combination with that resolution. I can see two different ways to solve the issue: either re-encode the video to full D1 or create smaller subs.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  10. träskmannen is right! I've not seen the 352 x 576 resolution for the final video as in the images it looks like full D1 (movie info: XVID 720x480...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by träskmannen
    ...or create smaller subs.
    If you create smaller subs how do you center them ?

Originally Posted by borax
    Can you post (or send me by mail) a short SUP file (containing only a few of these 'currupted' subtitles)?
    sure here I'll post a short 'corrupted' subtitle (4 lines just opened as .srt in SubtitleCreator and then converted to .sup)

Another possibility would be to convert the srt file to ssa and the render the subtitles with MaestroSBT (then you will also need the development version of GfD - have a look to this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic339258.html ).
    oh more new fileformats ...I am already going through so many steps before I finally can author my DVD in GfD are you sure my way; when I just convert .srt to . sup in SubtitleCreator is wrong and my problem really can't be solved? But sure I can test this oppertiunity as well

The .sup file:
    sup.sup
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    träskmannen is right! I've not seen the 352 x 576 resolution for the final video as in the images it looks like full D1 (movie info: XVID 720x480...)
    ah but I want to have my solution in half DVD ( then the filesize is smaller? ) or how do you mean? how do I fix that? Can't I just choose half DVD resolution to the subtitles as well?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yay it finally works...I have change the settings from half DVD to full DVD during the convertion from .avi to .mpeg and then when I play my DVD the subtitles are in the middle!!! (centered)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I have to convert a SUP file from my SRT before I crate IFO so how do you mean?
    Let me try to restate it clearly. The colors of DVD subtitles are not stored in the subtitle itself but in the IFO. The IFO defines a 16 color palette and the DVD uses 4 (generally) of those colors by subpic. We say these are indexed colors: In the encoding of the subpic, indexes 0 to 15 are used for the colors, each one corresponding to one palette entry from the IFO file. Now when you ask SubtitleCreator to, let's say, create a white subtitle, this has a meaning only with the final IFO of the DVD. So, you must first open your IFO file in SubtitleCreator for it to generate a correct SUP file.
    No let's say there's no IFO. This is generally because you are generating the DVD yourself. In this case, this really depends on the program you are using to generate your DVD. You can use SubtitleCreator's prefered palette. Choose Format->Use prefered subtitle colors, check that Settings->Write palette with SUP files -> As IFO is checked, then generate your SUP file. An IFO file of the same name will be generated. Then use this IFO file with GfD. I've searched how to do it, and found it in GfD's help:
    From GfD help (http://download.videohelp.com/GFD/Help/VideoFileDialog.html)
    Remark: For subtitles in the sup format you should always select an appropriate palette, the sup file itself doesn't contain colors!
    In the Video + Audio Files menu, in the Subtitles dialog, there is a Colors dialog. Click on the open folder button just next to it and open the IFO file generated by SubtitleCreator. This should do the job.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah thanks manusse I think I understand better now how the whole thing works ...but as said my problem is already solved (I will maybe later post a post which has more to do with my subtitles color). So far I got a new problem:

I have input three different languages subtitles (in GfD) all in .sup format. But the thing is; two of my subtitles was in .txt format from the beginning and had a structure like this "{200}{300} Text" and the third subtitle was in .srt format

00.00.01.000 --> 00.00.02.00
    Text

all these 3 formats did sucessfully convert to .sup (I convert them with SubtitleCreator) but after I created my DVD these two which was .txt from the beginning was working great...though the third one (.srt) wasn't synhronised with my vidoe (I have synhronised it befor with TimeAdjuster and the .srt file worked as well as thoes .txt). Please help why doesn't the .srt file work as well as the .txt in .sup format
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is your DVD NSTC or PAL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's PAL and when I open my .srt file in SubtitleCreator it asks if I want my subtitles in PAL, NTSC... format. Where I of course klick PAL ...what's the problem ... and the thing is I got 2 .srt files to 2 different videos .... so to each video I got 2 .txt and 1 .srt and both .srt doesn't work in these videos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, normally this should have worked. There is a problem with NTSC subs but not with PAL. Could you please describe the type of timing problem you have with your generated SUP files. Is there an offset or a drift?

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manusse
    Could you please describe the type of timing problem you have with your generated SUP files. Is there an offset or a drift?
    What's pffset or drift you mean how much my subtitles are moved from the normal position (in wich I set them at the beginning) ?

AH! I was just about to see how long time it was between my .srt file and the finished .sup file when I discovered that the .srt file was wrong synhronised already in the beginning.... I'm now making a new DVD and I hope all will be good this time...I'm really sorry!!!! It was completly my fault

But thank you very much for your help!!! And now (if the .sup files work correctly) I will try to change my subtitle color

regards and thanks!!!

Michal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yay! it works perfect now so it was my fault..I'm really sorry! what I just need now is to fix the subtitles color...they're blue-green instead of white-black...:/ will test some in DVDSubEdit...but I already see that I got many .VOB files (8)..how do I know which one represents a subtitle? Is there a better way to fix subtitle color? (Open .sup file / full domain)

regards

michal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have now change all the subtitles color to white-black ... I have just opend alla of the vobs for itself ( without the first one) so I opened nr. 2 change my subs...then nr 3...and so on. My subtitles work really good and I'm finally done with my DVD ...I will burn it tomorrow thank for all your help!!!!!!!!!!! I consider to make a DVD tutorial of my own now :P "How to author DVD - from begining to the end" But I will see how it goes

thank you!!!!!

Michal
    take a look at my DVD-authoring guide :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic353434.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got one more problem if it's OK guys. When I now look at my DVD the audio track isn't looping...instead after one audio has finished another (from another menu) is started...how do I do so my audio loop properly please help!! (I have set loop -> pause 0 under the menu propeties :S)

Quote Quote  
  23. I have just opend alla of the vobs for itself
    Open them all at once and you'll only have to change the colors once. You don't have to do each VOB separately. Highlight the first VOB and then use Shift/Down Arrow to get the rest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah smart!!! thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but how do I do to loop my audio?!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what I just need now is to fix the subtitles color
    My post answers this problem. If you ask for an answer and somebody is spending time to answer, you should read his answer and try it. In my answer I explained that you need to create an IFO file with SubtitleCreator that you can use with GfD to get the right colors. No need for DVDSubEdit in your case. But if you don't read others'answers... You even sent me a private message urging for an answer but you don't read them. I'm a bit disappointed by your attitude.

Manusse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Choose Format->Use prefered subtitle colors
    what shall I do there? at 'use prefered subtitle colors I can choose between; Ovarwrite last 4 colors and Overwrite all colors

check that Settings->Write palette with SUP files -> As IFO is checked, then generate your SUP file. An IFO file of the same name will be generated.
    yes 'write palette with SUP files' is checked but when I generate my SUP file (Save SUP as?) there is no IFO file created.

Originally Posted by michcio
    what I just need now is to fix the subtitles color
    this wasn't a question.. what I ment was that I will now change my subtitles color with DVDSubEdit

oh this was just one big missunderstanding... what happend was:

1). I asked for help with changing subtitles color.
    2). I got two aswers:
    - yours; creating the IFO file
    - manonos :
    Originally Posted by manonos
    You can easily change the sub colors and positioning using DVDSubEdit. Open all the VOBs at once. Reading the parts of the included guide that have to do with your problem might be a help.
    3). I tried your method but no IFO file wasn't created...SORRY I should inform you before!!!
    4). Then I tried to first create my DVD and then change my subtitlescolors with DVDSubEdit (manonos method) and
    that worked just fine.

Sorry it was my fault again

Michal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, maybe I was rude but... Anyway:

yes 'write palette with SUP files' is checked but when I generate my SUP file (Save SUP as?) there is no IFO file created.
    Did you also check As .IFO?
    Normally with V2.2 when you save as SUP an IFO file (same name as the sup file followed by .ifo) will be created at the same place. Are you using V2.2?

Manusse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you also check As .IFO?
    Yes I have or it was already checked

Are you using V2.2?
    Yes it's v.2.2 I am using.

Michal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure no IFO file is generated when you save your srt file as sup. Please try again in a directory where you don't have many files. Maybe you don't see it but it's there. I'm pretty sure it's working.
    Quote Quote