VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I have some simple Yes or No questions to ask:

1- When connecting a PC to an LCD to via the VGA port (VGA to VGA) and playing a regular DVD movie, will the resolution be progressive (I'm using Media Player Classic)?

2- When connecting a PC to an LCD to via the VGA port (VGA to VGA) and playing a Blu-Ray movie, will the resolution be High resolution (would be using PowerDVD that comes with the LG drive)?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. depends on the DVD and software settings.

2. NO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    1. depends on the DVD and software settings.

2. NO.
    OK, I'll try to fig some info on Media Player Classic.

As for the 2nd question, would this mean that Digital is required for High Def? Meaning that neither VGA or Component cables can display Blu-Ray movies?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For bluray you must use hdmi for the hdcp protection issue. Your only other option is to rip it via anydvdhd. Though my understanding is there is no easy way to play ripped files without conversion. It seems if it is a BD+ title playback of the original files will be difficult.

You can get a simple 30.00 dvi-hdmi cable to hook up the pc that way assuming your set has an hdmi input.

Your other option without ripping is to look for an hdcp stripper. I forgot the name but if you search the net for hdcp stripper you should fine something. I can't say anything about quality or other issues involved as I haven't used it. The one model I saw hooked up onto the vga port to remove any hdcp restrictions. How it works exactly is beyond me and I don't know if it has any glitches or stuttering.

As far as the resolution of the playback over vga it will be whatever resolution you output from the computer and I believe any video from a pc is progressive. Though i don't know that for a fact.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually any HDCP-capable connection will work so DVI-DVI will work as long as it's supported. I haven't heard of any HDCP hacks that work very well on the fly yet, but then I think putting a BRD drive in my PC is silly when I have a PS3 sitting next to it.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but a brd drive will allow ripping

Actually what I'm interested in is the "digital copy" that is included with the RAMBO Bluray Disc. I posted a question on it here but nobody responded yet. If that was an official wmv or avi file that you can use on "authorized" devices like a ps3 or zune or 360 I'd like to know. I want more movies to use that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313
    For bluray you must use hdmi for the hdcp protection issue. Your only other option is to rip it via anydvdhd. Though my understanding is there is no easy way to play ripped files without conversion. It seems if it is a BD+ title playback of the original files will be difficult.

You can get a simple 30.00 dvi-hdmi cable to hook up the pc that way assuming your set has an hdmi input.

Your other option without ripping is to look for an hdcp stripper. I forgot the name but if you search the net for hdcp stripper you should fine something. I can't say anything about quality or other issues involved as I haven't used it. The one model I saw hooked up onto the vga port to remove any hdcp restrictions. How it works exactly is beyond me and I don't know if it has any glitches or stuttering.

As far as the resolution of the playback over vga it will be whatever resolution you output from the computer and I believe any video from a pc is progressive. Though i don't know that for a fact.
    So you're saying that component cables on a standard Blu-Ray player wouldn't work either then since a VGA cable doesn't (it's pretty much the same).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure about component for bluray. I THINK they may be downressed to 720 or 480p. I can't say for sure. I only use hdmi for my ps3 so I haven't tested any restrictions on component for ps3.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yoda313
    I'm not sure about component for bluray. I THINK they may be downressed to 720 or 480p. I can't say for sure. I only use hdmi for my ps3 so I haven't tested any restrictions on component for ps3.
    Well I know that a High Def cable box can output to 1080i and 720pwith components, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it on a Blu-Ray.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Your other option without ripping is to look for an hdcp stripper. I forgot the name but if you search the net for hdcp stripper you should fine something.
    I think this is what yoda is talking about:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/15/spatz-techs-dvimagic-killing-on-hdcp/

As far as I can tell this device is more myth than reality. It disappeared from Spatz's web site shortly after hitting the news. I've never seen any report from anybody who had one.
    Quote Quote  
  11. While there is no hardware reason that component could not possibly work with Blue-ray, SFAIK the designers of the system specifically designed it to prevent this, unless you want low definition. No HDCP, no hi-def from Blu-Ray.

You can absolutely get interlaced playback from a PC, and some DVD are native interlaced.

I have also seen the HDMI stripper product, also briefly, and neither have I heard of anyone, anywhere who has actually used one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Forgot to add this - the label on the box indicated the digital copy was specifically intended for other devices, pretty sure the Zune was mentioned. I don't own this, but after reading your post the box caught my eye. No other HD disks appeared to offer such a feature.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    the label on the box indicated the digital copy was specifically intended for other devices, pretty sure the Zune was mentioned.
    A low quality WMV no doubt. And the main BD feature wasn't digital? LOL
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    While there is no hardware reason that component could not possibly work with Blue-ray, SFAIK the designers of the system specifically designed it to prevent this, unless you want low definition. No HDCP, no hi-def from Blu-Ray.

You can absolutely get interlaced playback from a PC, and some DVD are native interlaced.

I have also seen the HDMI stripper product, also briefly, and neither have I heard of anyone, anywhere who has actually used one.
    So are you saying that a Blu-Ray player like this one is not a real Blu-Ray player: http://tinyurl.com/3k3tfm
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by the_importer
    So are you saying that a Blu-Ray player like this one is not a real Blu-Ray player: http://tinyurl.com/3k3tfm
    The BD/HDCP spec allows any disc to disable HD component output if it wants. And the HDCP spec requires that no device produced after 2011 allow HD component video. And no analog output at all is allowed after 2013.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by the_importer
    So are you saying that a Blu-Ray player like this one is not a real Blu-Ray player:
    The BD/HDCP spec allows any disc to disable HD component output if it wants. And the HDCP spec requires that no device produced after 2011 allow HD component video. And no analog output at all is allowed after 2013.
    So this Blu-Ray will be obsolete in a few year since it doesn't support HDCP. Also, if Hollywood is wrong and most of the consumers haven't purchased and HDTV with a Blu-Ray player by then, the movie industry is screwed :P

The future of media industry should be interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by the_importer
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    So are you saying that a Blu-Ray player like this one is not a real Blu-Ray player:
    So this Blu-Ray will be obsolete in a few year since it doesn't support HDCP. Also, if Hollywood is wrong and most of the consumers haven't purchased and HDTV with a Blu-Ray player by then, the movie industry is screwed :P

I find it hard to believe that player is not HDCP compliant. Sony would never give it a BD licence.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Interesting it does not specifically list Blu-Ray under the compatibility list.

Wonder if the spec would allow for BD playback in lo-res, which is then up-converted just as it does for a standard DVD?

Sort of a half-ass way around the licensing agreement?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by jagabo

I find it hard to believe that player is not HDCP compliant. Sony would never give it a BD licence.
    Probably not a requirement yet then or this wouldn't be on the market.
    Quote Quote  
  20. HDCP has been a requirement for Blu-ray HDMI connections since day one. That Futureshop add is simply wrong. Sony will not allow, under any circumstances, encrypted digital video from a Blu-ray disc to pass through any cable without HDCP encryption.

If Insignia is producing a BD player that plays over HDMI without HDCP encryption it will become a boat anchor as soon as Sony finds out about it. It will have its AACS keys revoked as soon as a new disc is inserted.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo
    HDCP has been a requirement for Blu-ray HDMI connections since day one. That Futureshop add is simply wrong. Sony will not allow, under any circumstances, encrypted digital video from a Blu-ray disc to pass through any cable without HDCP encryption.

If Insignia is producing a BD player that plays over HDMI without HDCP encryption it will become a boat anchor as soon as Sony finds out about it. It will have its AACS keys revoked as soon as a new disc is inserted.
    If that is true, then you have to ask yourself one crucial question, why do store even bother to advertise if a Blu-Ray player is HDCP compliant to begin with?
    Quote Quote  
  22. So you're saying some Blu-ray players don't play BD-ROM? Then why do they bother mentioning it? And look -- the Insignia player doesn't support any HD codecs! That must mean it can only play SD BD discs.

Obviously, this is what happened:

When Futureshop got their first BD player it came with a list of features. They used that list to generate the feature list form at their web site. That same list is used for all subsequent BD players that come in. Some marketing droid goes through each players documents and ticks the features off in the web form. When a player doesn't specifically mention one of the features the droid guesses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Forgot to add this - the label on the box indicated the digital copy was specifically intended for other devices, pretty sure the Zune was mentioned. I don't own this, but after reading your post the box caught my eye. No other HD disks appeared to offer such a feature.
    Thanks. I am interested in user reviews of the quality and ease of use of this feature. I'd love to have a petition website started to get this feature added to every movie.
    Quote Quote