VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I convert ( or try to ) a MKV file to a blu ray dvd, all I get is the audio and no image, I've tried different MKV files and always get the same, can someone point me in the right direction please..

TThanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This problem of no video - on your blu-ray player or PC or both? And what's in the MKV video - H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1 and what resolution, fps, etc.? You can find out with MediaInfo. Can your blu-ray player play blu-ray video on a DvD? If so, did you burn it correctly using UDF 2.5?

If it works on your PC, and burned it correctly, and your blu-ray player plays DvDs with blu-ray on it, it's probably because the video that was in your MKV is not blu-ray compliant. Even if it contained, for example, H.264, which is a blu-ray codec, that still does not guarantee anything. You still need to have the correct resolution, fps, right amount of b-frames, reference frames, no b-pyramids and the like.

Tools like TSRemux or TSMuxeR are wonderful tools, but can be very misleading. They do not check for BD compliance, yet still will give you the blu-ray structure if you ask them to. These tools are only beneficial when you have a fully compliant blu-ray video stream and you want to mux/author them for playback on your blu-ray player, otherwise the playback will have problems, like no video, stuttering, etc.

Your MKV files then were not encoded to be blu-ray compliant. The best thing is to re-encode the video with a profile that fits the blu-ray spec if that's the case.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply puzzler, I didn't realise that there were specific blu ray stds, I thought with it being an mkv file that they were all the same, is there a guide which will tell me exactly what spec i need to be looking at ? as the actual mkv file will play throught nero vision if i want to preview it, but when burnt using udf 2.5 wont play the video on either pc or ps3 but it will play the audio. Is there any tool which I can convert sub std mkv files to ones which are compliant ?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aliali
    I thought with it being an mkv file that they were all the same
    Nope. MKV is only a container. It can have almost anything inside.
    ..is there a guide which will tell me exactly what spec i need to be looking at ?
    Top-left corner on this site. Go to "WHAT IS" and select. But keep in mind, the right codec, fps, rez, etc. is not enough. You need to encode the video stream correctly (bitrate, b-pyramids, GOP, etc.).
    ...as the actual mkv file will play throught nero vision if i want to preview it, but when burnt using udf 2.5 wont play the video on either pc or ps3 but it will play the audio.
    The only app today, AFAIK, that guarantees whether or not your file is BD compliant is Sonic Scenarist, which is very expensive. But it's still early. Many are on their way.
    Is there any tool which I can convert sub std mkv files to ones which are compliant ?
    If you don't mind MPEG-2, there are some right now that will do it fine, such as VideoStudio, the latest TMPGEnc Xpress, etc. (You may need to demux first.) But if you want the smaller files of H.264, the best one that is not big $$$, and actually free, is MeGUI. Just use the blu-ray profiles and in your script just make sure you have the correct resolution and fps and correct sar value when configuring x264 (pixel aspect ratio). Scenarist will accept them (meaning they're compliant).

There are tools out there that will "hack" existing H.264 streams to be BD compliant, but they are not very effective. You can use a hex editor to change the rez, or a tool like h264info to add properties to the stream, but if the stream wasn't encoded correctly to begin with, you may have problems. The only 100% guaranteed way is to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had very good luck with mkv2vob, mostly I stream my video to the PS3 ,however most of the time it'll create a file larger than DVD-5, so I extract video and audio with mkvextract, convert or lower audio bitrate, import h.264 and new audio in tsmuxer>change level 5.1 to 4.1 and save as either m2ts or create bluray structured file...But not all have been successful I might add..the ones that won't work I convert/re-encode to .mp4,but it's a slow process for my PC specs..
    There's also this new tool, and it's darn quick at it...
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352982.html
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No disrespect to either MKV2VOB, or even this AVCHD creator tool. Both seem neat as well. But again, it doesn't solve the problem, just like TSMuxeR and TSRemux don't. If the video stream isn't BD compliant, no muxer/author tool in the world is going to make it BD compliant.

As well, the PS3 is an ultimate multi-media machine which plays lots of stuff that isn't DvD or BD compliant. Even if the PS3 does play this clip, that doesn't mean it will play on all BD machines. But that may not matter to most people owning a PS3.

BTW - About MKV2VOB. Kind of un-natural in my opinion shoving H.264 into a DvD's VOB...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that mkv2vob or tsmuxer,TSremux is "100% guaranteed" to work everytime... In fact the only thing that's "100% guaranteed" is death....Those of us that have used these tools,have already figured this out,and will do what we can with whats available at the time, and for the job at hand.... 8)
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But my point is that if the video stream is encoded 100% BD compliant, then tools like TSRemux and TSMuxeR could generate a 100% BD compliant structure pretty much 100% of the time (which is a good reason to use them and a reason I think they're neat).
    Quote Quote