+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Monday, June 30 will be the last day Microsoft sells XP to the masses
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96295

Earlier rumors that Microsoft might extend the sales date have proven untrue, as Microsoft has reiterated that, indeed, June 30 will be the final sales date cut-off for the product. That's it. It's a Vista world now.
    Glad i have a few XP Pro disc's 8)

Although someday i may actually jump to vista unless they come out with something better before then... which is most likely as it took me forever to finally drop Win98 for XP
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can probably sell those discs on eBay for a tidy price someday.
    I know alot of businesses are hesitant upgrading(downgrading?) to Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM

It would have to be a looooooooong time from now!!!!!!!

I have yet to meet someone who wants to have VISTA installed over XP... yet i have had many many people want me to get rid of vista and install XP on their systems, a couple have been a bear to find all the drivers for them that would work under XP though... those were built specifically for VISTA, e-machine/gateway, dell, crap like that....

Thats why i have built my own for the past 11+ years, i want what i want... not what some F'n company thinks i want 8)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win98 was my fav OS until MS got XP SP1 sorted out, found it to be well reliable.
    Got a good bit space put away on my hard drive for playing with Linux versions, found some to be a bit unstable, think I must have some bit of hardware it does not like. Mandriva my fav just now. Good OS.
    My XP SP2 has been running great for well over a year since last format, and that was due to me messing around lol, and stuck on SP3 still all good.
    But Vista, it says all my hardware compatible, but no where near as reliable as a proper XP pro install. Problems and lockups several a week, sometimes a few a day! Gonna format that partition, reinstall and install SP1 see what happens lol.
    Thing that worries me is if Vista SP1 no good, and when support stops for XP, I'll just need to wipe my MS partitions, use them as extra space for Linux. And once its all setup nice, MS will have lost another valued customer.
    Just my opinion.
    mcv.

Just read there that MS are going to keep security updates available for XP until 2014, so hope they stick to that! And they work....
    I thought they were stoping support for it by 2009/2010.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mcv2008
    Win98 was my fav OS until MS got XP SP1 sorted out, found it to be well reliable.
    Yep... 98 was my fav for many many years... tried 98ME, ect... they all sucked and everytime within a couple of days went right back to 98.

I've thought about and looked into a few diff. versions of linux over the years but never made the leap, even when building new spare pc's, just because i needed them for specific things and did not have time to see what would work, needed projects going and done now!!!

I always run at least 3 pc's in my home for various task's & jobs.

The real B!tch will be when all the hardware manufacturers stop making their products with drivers for XP and only for VISTA
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    You can probably sell those discs on eBay for a tidy price someday.
    I know alot of businesses are hesitant upgrading(downgrading?) to Vista.
    But you can buy restore disk sets that include XP for a cheaply sum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tell you win98 was GOOD as long as it didnt' get gummed up. I had 98 on a hp pc and I had to reinstall it every 6 months or so until I go Windows 2000. If only win2000 was more game friendly I would have stuck with it longer.

XP is a brilliant platform but I also like VISTA. Even though it DOES have compatibility issues for much older software it is a clean, functional envrionment. It also looks damn good on an hdtv. AERO is kinda fun though a bit unneccessary. And yes 2gb ram is a real comfort level 1gb works but it is a little sluggish for vista.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's always the previous OS that's good. I will be glad when Microsoft releases its next OS so I can start hearing how wonderful Vista is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So will the next MS OS be called VISTA 2009???

Somehow despite Vista being a reliable os despite its negative press I have a feeling that Microsoft will distance itself from the Vista name as fast as it did from MICROSOFT BOB

EDIT - wow that's a long run on sentence isn't it??
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although Windows XP is "done" from being sold after June 30, 2008 I have heard that Microsoft support will continue to the year 2014.

This is important to note as this news (of it no longer being sold) could panic some people thinking that support is also "done" when it is not.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Although Windows XP is "done" from being sold after June 30, 2008 I have heard that Microsoft support will continue to the year 2014.

This is important to note as this news (of it no longer being sold) could panic some people thinking that support is also "done" when it is not.

Yep, at the bottom of the article i linked to it say's,
    In other news, Microsoft has recently pledged to keep supporting XP, including the release of security updates, all the way through 2014.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I switched to vista 64 and now i will never go back to winxp,did go back to winxp a couple times to see if vista was causing some problems but turned out to be crappy written programs,If your gonna stay with winxp you will get outdated for future programs that require more than 3gb of ram.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i installed vista on a new build a few months ago and i like it. i'm still discovering new things, sometimes aggravating, but mostly to my liking. i have always liked the new version over the last though.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  14. Microsoft = fools!

R
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robertazimmerman
    Microsoft = fools!

R
    And you're running a fools o/s.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mcv2008
    But Vista, it says all my hardware compatible, but no where near as reliable as a proper XP pro install. Problems and lockups several a week, sometimes a few a day! Gonna format that partition, reinstall and install SP1 see what happens lol.
    Thing that worries me is if Vista SP1 no good, and when support stops for XP, I'll just need to wipe my MS partitions, use them as extra space for Linux. And once its all setup nice, MS will have lost another valued customer.
    Just my opinion.
    mcv.
    That sounds like out of date or improper drivers. I have 2 computers running Vista Business and rarely ever have a problem. When I have had an issue, upgrading the driver fixed it. That is not a Vista problem.

To anyone that asks, no I am not a Microsoft shill. I am just tired of people flogging an operating system when they do not take the time to tweak their computer. They also expect the operating system to run on equipment that should have been retired long ago.

People want to have it both ways. You can't have it both ways. Microsoft has been really ignoring security for years. It was only recently that their focus started to change. When XP SP2 came out, they decided to make their code more secure so that you could not drive a Mac truck through the holes. I applaud them for their change of direction.

I have been supporting Vista for over a year. I use it at home and work, and the people that are suddenly clinging on to XP amaze me. People that decide to forego Vista and get windows 7 will still have problems, because windows 7 will be an offshoot of Vista.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I have yet to meet someone who wants to have VISTA installed over XP...
    Hi, pleased to meet you :P
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I prefer Vista as well.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck

I meant face to face, but i'm sure you knew that :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    That sounds like out of date or improper drivers.
    I know back when i went to XP Pro i was pretty PO'd because i had (still have) a VERY expensive hires scanner and ended up having to shelve it because the mofo's drivers would not work under XP.

Then they stated they would not be releasing any drivers for any of their current hardware, only for new hardware, so they think i'm gonna spend another few hundred dollars on a new scanner because they want to scam me into it by not making a new driver for my current scanner

Never bought another piece of hardware from them to this day!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use to have an old flatbed scanner that came with an ISA SCSI card and that thing would scan faster than any USB 2.0 scanner I've had since. Go figure.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dv8ted2
    so that you could not drive a Mac truck through the holes
    Is that osx than?? (sorry couldn't resist )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    But you can buy restore disk sets that include XP for a cheaply sum
    I saw one of those XP restore discs somewhere, but whats the difference between an XP restore disc and a normal XP disc ? apart from the fact that the restore disc didn't have a serial number and could be installed anywhere ?

The killing off of XP also begs another question. For those wanting to use XP, that are only able to buy Vista, is the use of 'non-legitimate' copies of XP, because there is no other choice, still considered 'warez/taboo' ? Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not advocating the use of warez, simplying stating a reasonable point.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Restore discs will usually only work on a specific model because it has specific drivers:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=106478
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313 wrote:

I'm afraid it won't fit on a Blu-Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is it now... 2008? And XP support will be till when...2014?

Good. I got six more years.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

But alas, from what I'm expecting from MS new-wares, I may miss out since I still got six more years with XP. Shame... :P
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I use to have an old flatbed scanner that came with an ISA SCSI card and that thing would scan faster than any USB 2.0 scanner I've had since. Go figure.

Sounds like the HP 4P or 5P scanner. Press the scan button and go. I still have the 5P and use it with an adaptec PCI SCSI card under XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one of the first USB 2.0 scanners years ago since it was advertised as being fast because of this connection. I first thought, what the heck could the port do to make it go faster? The scanning speed is device-centered I thought, and nothing to do with data transfer.

Well it had good speed, but wasn't THAT much faster than a SCSI scanner I had 7 years previous.

I actually called tech support for a problem, but asked about this anyway - why am I not taking advantage of the 2.0 thingy? I get just as much scanning speed in the 1.1 ports. The guy told me the port doesn't make a difference in scanning speed. Figured.

Hype.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    The BBC news in the UK has been reporting that XP will continue to be sold until 2010 to run on "legacy hardware". Of course it will need to be supported for longer than that. Mfrs like Dell will continue to offer XP to buyers who want it. Whether this is right or wrong I don't know.

I tend to stick with what I'm familiar with until there is a solid advantage for change. I switched from Win98 to XP because of better support for USB (particularly memory sticks), more stable, smoother running of multiple apps. I'm not interested in following fashion for its own sake.

--Don Milne.
    Quote Quote