VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have some VHS tapes which I brought from overseas and I would like to watch them but I do not have a PAL VCR. I called CircuitCity and they said they don't sell a PAL VCR...I also checked Walmart buut they didn't have any. Can someone please let me know where I can get a PAL/NTSC VCR in the US? Also that will help iof you could let me know which make/model has the best quality and actually does work with PAL tapes.

Thanks in advance,
    Tezarin
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=International+VHS+Player&btnG=Google+Search
    Yields results such as: http://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=24

Note that I'm not suggesting them, I'm just using them as a example as I've never dealt with them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I did a search before and saw a Philips one which claims to work with both PAL and NTSC tapes (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PAL+VCR) but when I read the reviews, people said it doesn't work with PAL...so I am basically looking for a one which works for sure...

I will look at the link you posted, thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also...take note of the video output. Just being able to play PAL tapes isn't enough, the player also needs to be able to perform the video conversion from PAL to NTSC (unless you happen to have one of the few TV's in the US that supports PAL).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Also...take note of the video output. Just being able to play PAL tapes isn't enough, the player also needs to be able to perform the video conversion from PAL to NTSC (unless you happen to have one of the few TV's in the US that supports PAL).
    Or capture PAL VHS through a PAL capable device and watch on a PC.

Or get a dub done to NTSC DVD at a dub house. Cheapest prices are service shops that target Chinese or Indian communities.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Krispy, edDV,

Thanks for your replies. I will try one of the service shops as it sounds more convinient...At first, I thought it is something that could be done at home! But I guess I was wrong...there are also some places on the internet which claims to do this for around $15 - $30...They convert them to DVD, i.e. www.hdmediaservices.com. Do you guys think if I take it to an Indian shop it would be cheaper?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another possibliity is getting one of the cheap multi-system VCRs (you can get for under $100) and purchasing a stand-alone standards converter. World-Import (or Word Gift Center, forget which) sells a ComWorld brand of converter that is quite nice. MUCH, MUCH better than those that are "built-into" those expensive converter VCRs (like the Samsung SV-5000).

A standards converter, though, is going to set you back about $150 or more, though, so you're talking over $200.

Now, if you have a multi-standard TV (CRTs are rare, but some of the LCD models sold in the USA ARE capable of displaying PAL), then all you'd need would be one of those cheap multi-system VCRs (no converter necessary).

Now, of course, if your intention is to back them up to DVDs, the you will most certainly have to get a converter (unless you're lucky enough to have a DVD recorder that will accept PAL inputs and burn in PAL).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased my JVC HR-S7965EK directly from a store in the UK. Because they were a bit silly with shipping policies a local friend there picked it up and handled the mailing for me.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I purchased my JVC HR-S7965EK directly from a store in the UK. Because they were a bit silly with shipping policies a local friend there picked it up and handled the mailing for me.
    Trans-Shipment (export) usually violates the distribution contract and maybe local law. These guys get tested with bogus orders from manufacturers or government sting operations and risk penalty.

"International" dealers (hotels, duty free shops, some web sites) are legit. Private party sales avoid these issues but you need to know the party.

BTW, customs and state tax boards also investigate that duties and/or "use" taxes are paid. Expect this to happen for goods declared at customs. I got a $178 "use tax" bill from California for a camcorder bought in Japan even though I declared it and paid customs duties. That's right, California expects sales taxes for items purchased in Japan.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote