VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this is in the right forum, it is a beginner question.
    My brother just bought a high def tv and we know nothing about the format.
    Can I play high definition video files from my pc to a high def tv screen?

Peace
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends. Your new HD TV would need to have a VGA (PC) input or you would need a HDMI/DVI output on your PC and a HDMI/DVI input on your TV.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply Krispy Kritter.
    I have the HDMI inputs on the tv that's no problem, but the pc I will/might be using is old. Is there any type of adaptor to carry the audio/video signals from my PC?

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecrock
    Thanks for the reply Krispy Kritter.
    I have the HDMI inputs on the tv that's no problem, but the pc I will/might be using is old. Is there any type of adaptor to carry the audio/video signals from my PC?

peace
    No VGA (PC Port) on the new HDTV? Most have them.

What display card do you have in the computer? Or, if on the motherboard, what is the computer model number?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes there is a pc port on the tv but I'm wondering about the leads I'll need going from the pc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to give some more details about the PC (specifically the graphics card it has) and then the advice will be targetted. However, in the meantime...

A PC port on the TV would suggest it takes a VGA cable - if you have an old PC then in all likelihood this will be the same port you use to plug in the monitor for the PC. If this is true, then simply connect the VGA cable from your computer to the TV. See thic pic below.

If you have a slightly newer PC you might have two outputs on the graphics card - a VGA and a DVI port (see the same pic - it is a little blurry). You can either use the VGA port, or buy a DVI-to-HDMI converter and use the HDMI port on the TV. If your PC is more recent, you may have two DVI ports on the graphics card.

Which ever way you choose, this will only get you visuals. To get sound you need to connect the line out port on the back of your PC's sound card to the sound input on the back of the TV. There are different types of connectors/ports that could be used (e.g. 3.5mm, phono, optical etc....) but this all depends on what you have on the PC and the TV. Post with some more information (or even better - pictures) and you'll get the right advice!

Quote Quote