VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I've been looking all over for an x64 version of ASPI but haven't been able to find one. My converter programs won't work without it.

Does anyone know where I can find ASPI for x64? I'd really, really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    never tried it but the standard adaptec install includes a 64 bit install batch file according to their site.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2_exe.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Bsimian,

thanks for replying. I tried the one you mentioned but it's not for x64 and won't install.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you follow the instructions? unzip the file, right click on the install bat, select open and type in xp64?
    Quote Quote  
  5. No, I didn't proceed with the installation after it wouldn't install. I went back to the website and read more about it and it said that the download is for for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors. I have an Athlon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you are not comfortable installing them, although they're software that doesn't know or care what processor you have, take the 2 aspi 64 bit files and put them in the directory of the program trying to use them. i.e. wnaspi64.dll and aspi64.sys . normally aspi goes in windows\system32\drivers and wnaspi in windows\system32 and they both get added to the registry so any program can find them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did a search for them, using "look in system and hidden folders" and there were no results for either wnaspi64.dll or aspi64.sys. I then went into the folders and looked for them with "hide hidden and system files and folders" unchecked in Folde Options, but they're not there. It's probably the reason I'm having this problem.

If you're saying that that 471a2_exe.htm won't cause problems with any other programs or components in my pc, I'll install it . . . just let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there shouldn't be any .htm at the end of the file. it's a self installing .exe zip file(511KB) that should end up with a folder in c:\ when you run it and it unzips. winaspi from adaptec has been used by thousands? millions? without any problem.

if you have any doubts about what is in the file you have, right click on it and you should be able to choose extract here. then you can see what's in it without running an exe file.

just asking but why are you even running a 64bit version of XP? there are no advantages just problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The reason I chose XP Pro x64 was because I was told that Vista x64 was just a stepping stone to Pro x64. I asked a lot of people and was participating in a thread that someone started at the Microsoft Windows x64 forum about Vista x64 vs XP Pro x64 and the MVP's all said that XP Pro x64 was going to be the up and coming os.

Do you know what bugs me the most? When I wanted to do a format, I put the disk in the DVD drive and when it was about 1/2 the was through, there was a loud snap and then screeching coming from my DVD drive. When I opened it, my XP Pro x64 disk was shattered into about 8 to 10 pieces and one of the nibs that holds DVDs in the drive was broken off. I had to buy a new DVD drive and Windows disk and I bought a second XP Pro x64 disk. I bought a BenQ Lightscribe. Come to find out, Lightscribe won't work with x64 os. (just strangle me now) I've had my share of problems with x64.

I'm going to buy a Vista X64 disk. I'm not looking forward to updating all of my drivers for it. I just went through that with XP Pro x64 this week and it took me a long time to find what I needed.

For now, I'll install the file at http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/software_pc/aspi/aspi_471a2_exe.htm

If you think of any tips about changing from XP Pro x64 to Vista x64, I'd sure be happy to hear them.

Thanks for all your help already.

Denise
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh geez.... please spare yourself more heartarche and go with vista ultimate 32 not 64. the only advantage of a 64 bit os is that it can access more memory, BUT not everything will run on vista64. unless you have a specific program that needs more that 2GB or ram to run stay away from 64 bit os's for 4 or 5 more years.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would give up using programs that need to use aspi,legacy programs that were made for win98,vista 64 is much better than vista 32 and winxp imo,and most things will run in vista 64.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have to stay with x64. I just bought a new AMD Athlon Gforce 8400 64 processor and I don't want to put more into this pc than I already have. The only original parts of this pc left are the hdd and case. All the other parts needed to be replaced, and it's only about 18 months old.

I'll be switching to Vista x64. The Microsoft/Windows market for software is geared toward it so I won't have the problems that I have with XP Pro x64.

Thanks for your opinions and advice . . . I appreciate them.

Denise
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, I formatted to Vista x64 and it was a disaster. Nothing worked with it. It wouldn't install my mobo's software, it wouldn't let me install a lot of programs because "a file is missing," I couldn't update anything because nothing could install in the first place, it wouldn't install the drivers I need for my SATA controller card, and several more problems that I can't think of off the top of my head. Basically, only the cpu was working.

When I decided to format back to XP Pro x64, it wouldn't do it with my first 3 attempts. Finally, on the last attempt, it installed. I've been cleaning up the damage ever since and I think I have things under control now. It's taken me 2 days. My hardware isn't compatible with Vista x64 is what it all came down to. I'm going to leave things be for awhile and, sometime in the future, I'm going to install my old Windows 2000 XP Pro as a second os.

I just thought I'd let you know how things turned out.
    Quote Quote