VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I make a habit of re-authoring all my purchased production DVDs for Backups, and to remove all annoyances.

I usually decrypt the DVD, remove all PUO's, Region, Macrovision Protection, etc.

Then I go in and manually edit all Menus to bypass the PGC's I don't want and rebuild all the VOBs. Finally to burn it to a DL DVD+R and make up a nice photo label.

I have been doing this for a very long time, and have it down to pretty much a science.

Lately however, I am noticing some short titles are becoming impossible to fast forward though, even with all PUO's removed. One example is the standard 14 second "Columbia/Tristar" intro that I usually leave in. The intro can be track skipped, but it can't be fast forwarded though.

If I play the intro with Nero Showtime, Nero lists the title as a "Still" even though the Title is actually a video, and the PGC Cell flags do NOT have the VOBU Still flag on. I could always just remove the intro, but I really want to know what I'm missing that is allowing the Cell to flag as still.

Here is a PGC info in the specific PGC.

VMGM , LU 1 (en) , 1 (0:14) - Chapters: n/a, Programs: 2, Cells: 2

Playback time: 00:00:14.25 (at 30 fps)
    PG Playback mode: sequential
    PUOs: 0 (0x00000000)
    NextPGCN: 0
    PrevPGCN: 0
    GoUpPGCN: 0
    PGC Still Time: 0
    Audio stream 1 status: 0x00008000 (stream=0)

But- Prog. Cell Type Seam- Ang VOBU Cell Cell Playback End Entry First Last Last VOB Cell
    tons Flags less Still Still Cmd. Time Time VOBU ILVU VOBU VOBU ID ID
    Joint Time # sector End Start End

0 1 1 3 no - no 0 0 00:00:13.15 00:00:13.15 0 0 4448 4464 1 1
    0 2 2 9 yes - no 0 1 00:00:01.10 00:00:14.25 4465 0 4484 4514 1 2

If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreaciate it.

Thanks,
    Nocturne
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a single frame with a running display time, not a real video unless you demux it to find out. Or you have not removed all VOB PUOs from this intro. Is the access restricted flag on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably there are some standard restrictions that can't be turned off (unlike custom restrictions additionally set at authoring). In your case you have a clip inside VMG menu (if it were in a title, you'd fast-forward it after removing restrictions). I can't remember any motion item in menu domain with working internal navigation (unless you play it as a file). While in title domain even still+audio can be scrolled etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked and the Access Restricted flag is OFF.

I wasn't aware that there was any inherent restrictions on fast-forwarding though a clip within the VMG itself, but based on Alex_ander's comments I created a new VTS and new Title and moved the clip out of the VMG into it's own VTS.

Jumping out to the Title, and then Calling back to the VMG after has resolved the restriction on using Fast Forward / Rewind on this video.

I'm curious now if thats the default behavior on any video ran directly under the VMG. I'll have to look around my collection for other DVD's to compare it with.

Thanks much for the help!
    Quote Quote