VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Up until now, I've only encoded at maximum constant bitrate, as the file size didn't concern me and I wanted the absolute maximum quality. Now I'm processing some video that isn't of the highest quality to begin with so it seems a waste to encode it at maximum CBR.

I've gotten pretty good results encoding 2 pass VBR at 4,500,000 bps average, 192,000 bps minimum, and 8,000,000 bps maximum, using the main concept encoder with Sony Vegas.

Thing is, I'd like to know for sure just how variable this is, is there some way I can scan the video, or each frame to see how much of this bitrate is being used at each point in the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With a bitrate viewer - check out the tools section.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah that's what I need, thanks guns1inger.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW - there are times when VBR will give you superior quality, even at high bitrates. It is not something to be afraid of.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's true. I have been afraid of it, but with good reason. I've noticed that different DVD players respond differently to my encodes. Sometimes skipping frames and other times freezing for a matter of frames. For this reason I've stuck to encoding in Vegas alone, since this is the only way I've gotten perfect results every time.

Even though both TMpegEnc and Vegas use the main concept encoder, I've noticed errors when using TMpegEnc on different DVD players.

Vegas is pretty much all I trust now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by miggeth
    Well, it's true. I have been afraid of it, but with good reason. I've noticed that different DVD players respond differently to my encodes. Sometimes skipping frames and other times freezing for a matter of frames.
    Possibly if you use VBR with the maximum set too high.
    I had some problems with video from HCEnc for a while till I realised I hadn't set the maximum bitrate. Normally this should be 8000 kb/s, I think. At least that works for me.
    Without the maximum, some busy action scenes would go over 10,000 (using a constant quality setting), which blew up when I tried to mux it, let alone play. Took a while to notice because a normal talky drama rarely pushes the bitrate.
    Quote Quote