VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I need help. here is my story.

I watch SPIRITED AWAY last week, and decided to create a persian subtitle for it
    first I rip subtitle with subrip
    then translet it into persian in notpad and save it in Unicode ('Cause ANSI won't save persian characters)
    it worked and now I have persian subtitles that can play on jetaudio or mpc
    here's my problem. PERSIAN SUBTITLES WON"T APPEAR IN DVD PLAYER.
    I decided to make them idx (my DVD players can show them)
    BUT HOW CONVER SRT TO IDX AND SUB I use four program (avisub22, sub2divx, srt2sub and srt2bmp) but non of them can read persian characters and they show just junk ( I chanhe the font) but it didn't work. I appericiate your help. THX in ADVANCE.
    Act like a man!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Try SubtitleCreator.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks manusse, but I have tried it already and I get this error "Error reading subtitle number 1.|[i](Input string was not in a correct format.).
    I also tried Advanced Subtitler 1.4 and it actually read Unicode but instead of text (Persian characters) it just show "??????????????????????????".

changing the font won't work eather. I read in some of the topics that spme people successed to convert their Arabic SRT into bmp or idx/sub, but I do whatever they did (ARABIC and Persian are alot alike) and unfortuently without any success. anyway thanks for your answer, man.
    Act like a man!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can try MaestroSBT. There is a special version for unicode available. I'm not sure that MaestroSBT can save sub/idx, but there are enough converters around...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you please post the first 10 lines of your srt file so that I can have a look at it. Normally SubtitleCreator should be able to open it. (Post it to a file sharing site and put the link here).

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  6. I solved the problem. Here is the solution:

I opened srt file in microsoft word and then saved it in "Arabic (windows)" and in ASNI. now this new saved file will show right character in suctitle workshop then I open it in sub2divx (a really nice program) and then select a persian font and IT WORKED (I just had a heart arttack) it show the right persian characters. Now I have my divx file with really nice persian subtitle. I also open this new srt file in subtitlecreator just for curiosity, it didn't that erore but it show all characters in junk I changed the font but it didn't work (it dosen't matter). but I uploaded the file for you (first 10 line) in you want to experiments:

spirited away subfa.zip - 0.00MB

thanks manusse and borax. it's good to have somebody help you!
    Act like a man!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I could open both of your srt files with SubtitleCreator. For the arabic windows one, you just have to select Format->Select Character Encoding->1256-Arabic and it works.
    For the Unicode version, it's automatic.
    However as I don't understand Arabic, I can't be sure they look fine.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    how u saved opened file as "arabic windows"
    in "save as" option on my office dont exist "Arabic windows"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    he saved in ASNI (as instead of unicode or UTF8)...you need to have installed arabic language in windows...
    _
    Quote Quote  
  10. Downloaded the first subtitle found here:

http://www.subtitleseeker.com/0245429/Spirited+Away/Subtitles/Arabic/

Opened i Notepad++. Selected the encoding to Arabic -> Windows-1256 and converted to UTF-8. This subtitle plays in VLC and MPC-HC.

Opened the subtitle in Subtitle Edit and exported as IDX/VOBSUB.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @videobruger This thread is five years old. eagletdw's hobby is digging up old threads that have already been answered and "updating" them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jun 2015 at 12:07. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  12. Must learn to pay better attention
    Quote Quote