VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!
    I have a question wich i cant find a answer on.
    I dont care to watch anime series with japanese audio and english subtitles and want them dubbed to english.
    I got my hands on a anime serie wich was RAW-XviD and had only japanese sound and no subtitles but the video quality was realy good, i also got my hands on the same season and serie with dubbed to english but with horrible video, the audio was good.
    So i need some kind of application wich can help me sync the audio from the english version to the japanese xvid-raw version.
    Japanese version i take the video source + the intro+outro audio.
    English version i only take the audio.
    Thanks for every answer i can get!
    All files are avi container.
    I have tried with windows movie maker, but well... the problem is it crash often (Go M$ )

Best regards FSSSWE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It crashes because you are trying to use the wrong video format with it. Very few programs edit Xvid nicely, although the current releases of virtualdub and AVI Demux are pretty good. However neither of these are great for dubbing audio.

Assuming the audio and video come from sources that have the same framerates, the problem should be relatively simple to address.

Basically you need an audio editor that allows you to load video as well (Sound Forge, Goldwave, Reaper etc). Load the video up, align the audio, add cross fades to keep the intro and outro music, then output a complete audio track. You can then use Virtualdubmod to replace the japanses audio track with the newly created English track.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now to my 2nd problem
    I have just watched the first episode wich was dubbed to english with crap video and i notice small comercial breaks (like they forgot 1-2 seconds to remove), so i should just load the .avi file from the english dub in sound forge or goldwave and just remove them also.
    Also i found small japanese comercials in the avi file, small teasers about 10 secounds, would i be able to remove them also?.
    Basicly this should be verry easy with the right applications wich i dont have
    I got a pretty good results with Nero Vision but then it crashed :/... like you said, very few programs edit Xvid nicely.

Any more sugestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Convert them to a lossless format, use a real editor to edit the video and audio to match up, then output them to a compressed format again. If you try to do this by chipping away a little bit here and a little bit there in tools like virtualdub you will go insane. You need to use something like Vegas where you can edit video and audio independently while seeing btoh together.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes i understand, but i also read now that the japanese version and english version is not the same since the english version are some part removed (like too much blood in the scenes and too much violence) thats why this will not work :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And that is why you need to be able to put both the video and audio down next to each other on a single time line, and make whatever cuts are required to get them to line up. This might mean inserting silence or duplicating some music to fill gaps in the English sound track.

Or it might be time to accept that subtitles aren't so bad after all.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FSSSWE wrote:

too much blood in the scenes and too much violence
    The coolest part! (not to mention the panty flashes && upskirts)

Anyway, I think you've got a serious "perception trouble".
    English dubs of anime are very well-known for their inferior quality... and
    the puritanist censorshipmania under which they are created just makes things worse.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, problem is that i get anoyed (i am not a racist) of the japanese language, especially when the person assignd for the character is a high-tone-voiced female or male... it sounds retarded. Well, ill try to watch it subbed then!
    Also i tried vegas and it gave me pain in my head :/
    Will also try something called Studio 11... is it good?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FSSSWE
    Well, problem is that i get anoyed (i am not a racist) of the japanese language, especially when the person assignd for the character is a high-tone-voiced female
    Trust me, they're 100x worse in real life. You could always use SoundForge or something to drop the pitch of the audio track, lol.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no simple way to do what you want to do, regardless of the tools you use. It will be a matter of simply working through from beginning to end, chopping up the audio and shifting it into place. Vegas is by far the best and easiest editor to use for this type of work.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote