VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newbie and I didn't see any place for actually getting TV to work on your computer...

I have a Quad core 2.5ghx with 4gb ram. New build and I want a tv tuner that actually works with it.

I know the video card isn't that great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102737
    But I got a 20$ one just to wait until the 4870x2 comes out later this month. I will be getting that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116633
    Here is the TV tuner I bought, I got one with RCA so I can play Xbox on it.. and other game systems of course :P

Here's my problem.
    The least of the problems. I have Satellite, not cable. If there is a card that works well with satelite (where the WinTV [or whatever program I will use] will change satellite channels, not cable, and I can record more than one SATELLITE channel).

for satellite I put it on the TV channel 73, then turn satellite and it works. The quallity isn't what I want. I had a 17" crt monitor, then yesterday I got my new 24" lcd monitor in, thought maybe it could be the monitor, and the quality isn't good at all. You can watch TV on it or play halo, but it's kind of blurry. I built this computer so I wouldn't have this problem

Has to have RCA for gaming systems.

I don't think my video card is the problem here or else everything would be blurry all the time. If you think it is the problem, or think that I can't handle a certain card because of the 512mb card I have, I am getting the 4870x2 card.. so I'll be able to handle anything.

I will spend, I guess, 200-250$ on it.. unless you find a super awesome one..

I have Windows XP. But I'm going to buy another hdd and put Vista on it and dual boot those. So if I need "2005 or later" I will have it by the time I buy that certain TV tuner.

Thanks

-Q
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any TV tuners that work for them? I'm thinking of getting an RMA from newegg and sending this one back if my brother doesn't want to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To record from satellite, any channel, while you're away, you're going to need two things in addition to your tuner card. The first is a satellite tuner box (STB) that you can dedicate to the PVR. The second is an IR blaster. The later is what the computer will use to change channels on the STB. It works the same way that an IR remote control changes the channels on the STB.

As for quality of feed, you need to be using the RCA outputs of the STB, not the coax/antenna connector. There's a big difference in the signal between the two. Since you want to also hook up a game console, you either need to get a composite switch box, or get a tuner card with provisions for two sets of RCA inputs. The Hauppauge card you selected does allow for two sets of RCA inputs, but you need to purchase the daughter card whose cable plugs into the white header on the PVR-150 (just above the silver tuner can). I don't know if Newegg.com sells these as a separate item -- you might try PCAlchemy.com as they specialize in PVR equipment.

By the way, don't plan on playing your game console though the tuner connection. There's just enough of a delay that you'll find it very frustrating.

Also, if you care about HiDef television, then you should be looking at the HVR-1600/1800 cards, as the PVR- series of cards don't do HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Searching for the best TV tuner"

Don't waste our time with "best". How much are you willing to spend?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. As prouton indirectly pointed out, in the USA you will not find any capture card with a satellite tuner built in.

The crappiest computer monitor has far better resolution than the standard definition video you are capturing with the PVR-150.

If you want to capture hi definition video from a satellite box consider the Hauppauge HD PVR. It can capture 720p and 1080i via component cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The cheapest sat tuners are sold by your sat provider. If you want to buy what he uses for download expect to pay much much more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, so many replies!

I know "best" wasn't a good way to tackle this, but I meant best in your opinion...

So I'm going to need three things? Wow Links would have been helpful as you went over my head.

The Satellite Tuner Box - very hard to find online since I don't know what I'm looking for. The most I can find online is a Satellite Radio Tuner.. is that what I'm looking for?

The IR Blaster - Now would you look at this, it's own dedicated site!
    http://www.irblaster.info/ Is that what I'm looking for?

And the awesome tuner! - http://pcalchemy.com/
    What exactly am I looking for? an HDTV tuner or what?
    So I'm going to need two rows of RCA... You said PVR wasn't what I wanted right?

edTV - What's this about a Satellite Tuner? If I get that will that be all I need?
    And the guy above, you say there are no satellite tuners with a built in TV tuner? I don't want to get a satellite one then, because I also want to play xbox on my 24" monitor I just got.(looking at the Hauppauge HD PVR. now)
    Was I wrong to get the 24" monitor and think I can play halo with awesome graphics on my computer?

Ah, looking at the HD PVR, I see that it doesn't enable me to play my x-box

-----------edit
    Damn this is a long post...

Let's say I said forget about the multi recording thing. I just wanted better quality. I want the TV I'm watching to not be crappy and to be at its truest. And of course Halo to be good Would I just spend a little more money on a card?
    http://www.cyberestore.com/wintvpvrpvr-500mce-dual-tuner-card-model-1081-p-133.html
    http://underbid.com/action/display/item/31056-16375/sku/DHMTVHDA18R.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you want to record satellite TV broadcasts you'll need a Dish Network or DirecTV receiver. You won't find a video capture card with a built in Dish or DirectTV receiver. Be sure to get one with hi def component video outputs if you want to caputure high def. For standard def you can use s-video or composite.

For fully automated recording you'll need an IR blaster so the computer can control the satellite receiver. That is, to change to the right channel at the right time.

Then you can use your PVR-150 to capture standard definition video. If you want hi definition you'll need a Hauppauge HD PVR or a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card.

If you want to record local over-the-air hi def broadcast you'll need a card with an ATSC tuner.

If you want to record standard or high def clear QAM from your cable company (usually only local broadcast channels) you'll want a capture device with a QAM tuner.

Cards like the Hauppauge HVR-1250 and 1600 have ATSC and QAM tuners.

Originally Posted by Captain Pooka
    Was I wrong to get the 24" monitor and think I can play halo with awesome graphics on my computer?
    A big monitor is always nice to have. But you won't be able to play Xbox 360 games at high resolutions on it by capturing with your PVR-150 or any standard def capture device. The Hauppauge HD PVR has a large lag so you won't be able to use that. You might with the Intensity Pro. You might be able to connect your Xbox 360 directly to the monitor via DVI/HDMI, VGA, or component.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jagaba - I'm going to start from the bottom of your post.

QAM? I looked it up, that would come in handy, but I don't have cable.

By over-the-air hi def broadcast you mean cable still?

Recording Sat. Tv Broadcasts. using an IR blaster as well.

All this stuff you guys are throwing at me about this, what will this do? I understand it would record :P but I can already do that. Watch something and click record. With this do you mean I can record multiple things that I'm not watching. And perhaps set up a scheduel? I can't say "Record tonight at 7:00 channel 839", but with yalls stuff I can?

I want this to be able to watch and play games on my monitor. Recording is nice, yes, but what I want the most is to be able to watch and play me video games on my new monitor.

Thank you so much for your replies!

#Sorry jagabo, didn't see the last part, was it an edit?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Captain Pooka
    By over-the-air hi def broadcast you mean cable still?
    Your local TV stations broadcast HD signals. You can get those with an antenna and an ATSC tuner device.

Recording Sat. Tv Broadcasts. using an IR blaster as well.
    The computer has no way to tell the sat receiver what channel you want to record. If you want to schedule recordings on different channels and don't want to get up in the middle of the night to change the channel on the reciever you'll need an IR blaster.

All this stuff you guys are throwing at me about this, what will this do? I understand it would record :P but I can already do that. Watch something and click record. With this do you mean I can record multiple things that I'm not watching. And perhaps set up a scheduel? I can't say "Record tonight at 7:00 channel 839", but with yalls stuff I can?
    Yes.

I want this to be able to watch and play games on my monitor. Recording is nice, yes, but what I want the most is to be able to watch and play me video games on my new monitor.
    If that's all you want, just use a $10 VGA cable from the XBOX 360 to the monitor. You probably even have one sitting around from an old computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What 24" monitor did you buy (or was it a TV?). Which model monitor did you buy?

If all you want to do is play your Xbox360 to a computer monitor then buy this VGA cable. It is good for up to 1360x768 VGA. For audio, you need an amp or plug it into your computer.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

You still aren't clear about how you want to use a tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do have a VGA cable. But if I plug the Xbox into the monitor, the whole monitor is used for halo. If I have it through a program, I can do other things. I wanted the xbox through the tv tuner for that reason...
    I guess I will get the IR blaster...

I want to use the Tuner to watch satellite, record it, and most of all be able to play games. But I want a clear picture. The IR blaster and the satellite box are nice to.. to be able to record on schedule, but I want to be able to play games too.. I posted on here because I got mad about mine not having a clear picture even when I'm watching satellite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With a typical tuner-capture card you'll get the best picture with the S-Video connection. It will be SD. There isn't a cheap HD tuner/capture card that accepts an HD game input. The Hauppauge HD-PVR is $250. Others are higher.

A cheaper better solution is buy a second monitor with VGA+DVI-D inputs. Connect the game via VGA and the sat box output 720p HDMI to DVI-D. Make sure the DVI-D input supports HDCP or it won't work with sat or cable tuners.

I have a couple of Samsung Syncmasters that accept 720p/480p over DVI-D and auto scale for both wide and 4:3 (with sidebars).

Next up and best quality is an HD LCD-TV with VGA+HDMI inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-226BW-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000NBBWNU
    Quote Quote  
  14. The Hauppauge HD PVR has about a half second delay between the analog source and what you see on the screen. You won't be able to play Halo with this.

The Blackmagic intensity pro has a much smaller lag. I've read about gamers using these. But, edDV is right, just use a second monitor. Or switch inputs between DVI and RGB with your current monitor.

You can sharpen your PVR-150 image a bit with GraphEdit. Adjust the Sharpness value in the capture filter's Video Proc Amp settings. It will still only be SD but it will be a little sharper (and noisier).
    Quote Quote