VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get a printer for labeling DVD's.
    I know their are a few different types out there (thermal, inkjet etc.) Can someone recommend what would give me the best quality in color?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, if you don't already know, you want to avoid labels and print directly on the discs. Labels warp disks and may come off inside DVD players.

If you are doing this for yourself, most non-pros use inkjet printers. Epson is nearly the only game in town for printing on inkjet-printable DVD's in the US, though only some models incorprate this feature. Some Canon inkjet printers sold outside the US also have the ability to print on printable DVD media, but the feature is disabled on the US versions because of patent considerations here. To get around it one needs to buy a 3rd party tray, and possibly perform a few more modifications as well. An Internet search may be helpful if you decide to go that route.

Inkjet printing will bleed when wet, but spraying on laquer to seal the disks is somewhat risky and many forgo that step. Thermal printers = heat, which I would also not want to risk with a DVD, unless someone else who knows better says it's OK.

I have seen some professional printing systems online at a higher price, but a pro will have to give recommendations about them, if that is what you need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I definitely wanted to print directly to disc as I know about the label issues.
    I don't want to have to worry about the ink smearing...so I guess inkjet is out as I don't want to spray them either.
    You're telling me to stay away from thermal....

Do I have any other options here?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are concerned about ink smearing, you can use Taiyo Yuden WaterShield media. The ink doesn't smear at all on these discs. They are more expensive but they look great. They have a glossy surface that looks very similar to printing on glossy photo paper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    If you are concerned about ink smearing, you can use Taiyo Yuden WaterShield media. The ink doesn't smear at all on these discs. They are more expensive but they look great. They have a glossy surface that looks very similar to printing on glossy photo paper.
    I saw these in Tiger Direct....300 pack for $200. I didn't really know what they were.
    What hardware would you recommend for this though?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    I saw these in Tiger Direct....300 pack for $200. I didn't really know what they were.
    What hardware would you recommend for this though?
    Any of the Epson disc printers print very well on this media. HP has a disc printer on the market now although I haven't seen one so I don't have an opinion on how well they print.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know anyone using thermal printers among hobbyists. The supplies are too expensive. A pro who uses thermal printing will be your best hope of finding a reliable answer regarding how it affects burned discs (as opposed to pressed discs) and how durable it is. Even if people who know tell you it's perfectly safe, I'd try to find out more about cost per disc before commiting to it. Most of the printers I saw were much more expensive than the better inkjets which are capable of printing on discs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The HP D5160 is what I use now. I had an Epson R300 but it gave me no end of problems. The HP does just as well when coupled with Surething CD labeling software. I spray mine with Krylon Crystal Clear, a water based clear coat to prevent bleeding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    The HP D5160 is what I use now. I had an Epson R300 but it gave me no end of problems. The HP does just as well when coupled with Surething CD labeling software. I spray mine with Krylon Crystal Clear, a water based clear coat to prevent bleeding.
    I second this one. I've been using it for a while and it works great. Ink is not super expensive, about $25 a cartridge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the best result - use watershield media. Looks like the original!
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote