VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My computer has really slowed down. I used to just dump the OS and do a fresh install however I have some software I use now that only has 4 installs so it's not an option anymore since I have already installed it twice I don't want to install it again. I have a P4 2.8G 1G memory I have a small hd on it 80G IDE I use Windows XP pro I checked my memory usage and I only have 200M free out of the 1G I want to upgrade my Harddrive and Memory is there some software I can get to transfer the OS and all my Programs to a new drive without doing a fresh install? Also I have 4 slots on my motherboard for memory I currenty have 2 512 184 pin Sdram DDR 400 pc 3200 chips in it one in each bank. I lost the paperwork on my motherboard I only remember it was called a pearl I have an empty slot in each bank can I add a 1G sdram in each slot or do I have to use 512 chips like I already have? I vaguely remember that both banks have to be equal or something like that. It's been along time since I built this computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can buy 512mg or 1g stick x 2 if you like ... it really helps to have the most memory you can afford.

as for the drive copy, you can purchase "GHOST"... you boot from a floppy a) pick the master drive
    and the b) pick the slave drive and just hit COPY and you should be 100% copied in about 5mins.

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by toolady
    My computer has really slowed down.
    When was the last time you defragment your drive? It may help a bit if it has been a while since you done it.

As for transfer OS to a new drive. All retail HD boxes came with the software that will let you transfer all you stuffs from the old drive to the new drive. If you buy an OEM Seagate you can download a stripped down version of Acronis from their website which will do the same thing. Same thing with OEM drive from Western Digital. They also have download software for transfer OS/data from old drive to their new drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use diskeeper it automatically defragments my drive when my computer is Idle It made a dramatic improvement when I installed it but it does not seem to make much difference anymore. I have manually defragmented my drive it is says it's not fragmented at all when I analyize it so Diskeeper must be working. I have quite abit of usb hardware running on my computer what I can't figure out is it takes 1/2 an hour to burn a DVD when inero says it is burning at 16x It took that long when it burned at 2x I have a pioneer 111 I think I have memory usage problems as I have alot of USB devices that some of the software I have uses . I don't have them turned on or sometimes even plugged in but Windows is configured to use them when they are turned on.
    I am thinking maybe I would be better off to just get another computer for internet only ussage and just strip off my current computer of everything I don't need to go online with like antivirus/firewall protection.
    Alot of my software I have installed on it I had to go online to activate it but it does not need to be online anymore since my Harddrive is kind of old an my motherboard does support a sata drive I thougt I would put my programs and OS on a sata drive and leave the ide just for data
    Quote Quote  
  5. Adding more RAM or new HD will help, but is just a band-aid to the problem. USB drivers should not account for much memory usage.

What slows the PC down is software that is Currently Running, and draining CPU cycles. More RAM or HD will not solve this issue.

Eliminate running programs and check your speed. Check speed by doing whatever process you do that seems to be slow, performance-testing programs are almost worthless for this purpose. Think about it, if an encode takes 4 hours and you want it faster, then spend more money for performance and an encode still takes 4 hours, what performance have you paid for?

As for the RAM, some boards will not allow different-sized chips, some demand the larger chips be in the first bank. But, you most definitely should not be sucking up 800Mb RAM unless some major prog is running. Spyware and virus check strongly indicated. Most especially if the re-formats and re-installs solved your problem in the past, you didn't add any RAM or new HD then, did you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will likely see a speed increase upgrading from 1gig to 2gig or RAM. Depending on the actual type of memory that you need, I would recommend just getting a 2gig matched set (2 1gig sticks). You can use a site like Crucial.com to scan your PC if you don't know what type to get.

You can use Windows Explorer or My Computer to check your HDD properties and see how much unused space you currently have left. Your OS and software shouldn't be using close to 80gig. If you HDD is nearly full, then you can add another HDD and then just move the data files (audio files, video files, and/or photos) that are likely eating up your space.

Aside from that, it is likely just time to perform some cleaning. The best place to start is Add/Remove Programs and uninstall everything that you don't use. You can then use a tool such as CCleaner to cleanup unused files from your HDD. AdAware and other tools can be used to check your registry and HDD for spyware/adware. Then perform a good registry scan/cleaning. After which you can then again defrag your HDD. Also, since you are using DisKeeper, it has the option of performing a boot-time defrag which will arrange the registry and boot files for better performance (these don't get touched after the OS is loaded and during a normal defrag).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. With 3200 RAM I don't think you'll see much of a difference and that RAM isn't very cheap. Going over 1 gig with the old DDR RAM won't give much improvement. If you do upgrade, you need 2 more sticks of memory for the DDR to work. If the PC used to be faster, it isn't a memory problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with your computer is other programs running in the background all the time,type msconfig in the run bar and look in the startup tab to see whats running
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Run the memory test at crucial.com to see what you can put in. It is free.

New Hd's come with software to copy your old hd, if not get it at the hd manf's web site.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I found out what was making my computer slow It is firewall and antivirus protection System Mechanic as soon as I stop those processes my computer is fast again I hate to cut them off to use my programs as my computer is online all the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by toolady
    I found out what was making my computer slow It is firewall and antivirus protection System Mechanic as soon as I stop those processes my computer is fast again I hate to cut them off to use my programs as my computer is online all the time
    There are plenty of alternative firewalls and antivirus programs that won't slow your PC. Make sure you use at least one of each. Personally, I disabled those particular options when installing System Mechanic. Normally I use McAfee Personal Firewall and Grisoft AVG although version 8.0 of the latter is not without its own drawbacks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avast virus scanner and windows own firewall will use less computer resources.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once I had similar issues running Norton System Works that made the system unacceptably slow, and I uninstalled Systen Works and replaced it with Avast and Zonealarm resulting in normal operating speed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it may be because your computer is overheating, the same is happening to me, I've added more RAM, but my CPU is totally destroyed by the heat, check the temperature using either BIOS setup or everest
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by johns0
    Avast virus scanner and windows own firewall will use less computer resources.
    +1
    That's what I use along with SuperAntiSpyware.
    OP:download CCleaner to cleanup and speedup your PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get Winpatrol and Process Explorer.

Winpatrol will help you control what starts up and process explorer will show you what's running and what resources it's using.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Previous posts have given good advice. Out of curiosity, which of the applications you have been running allow only four installs ?

In my opinion, Avast (free), AVG 8 (free), or Avira (free) each offer excellent antivirus protection and any of the three should run much lighter than Norton. My favorite of the free firewalls remains Sygate and you can download it from www.filehippo.com (also a great one-stop download center for practically anything else you may need). CCleaner is an absolute must and also download/install Glary Utilities, a free multi-function HDD cleaning and optimization application. Particularly good for cleaning up after an uninstall, the duplicate files finder allows for one-click deletion of duplicate files. Also included are an empty folders finder with delete, a registry cleaner, and the file shredder, a tool to wipe the free area of the hard drive of any file remnants (just click on the "wipe free space" tab). As posted earlier, WinPatrol (free) is a super program for not only managing start-up, but also for it's ability to notify of program changes, running processes, and much more.

Along with clean up, you really should consider adding ram. I went from 1GB to 2.5GB and noticed a real jump in performance using XP as well as Vista. Now is the time to buy as ram prices are at pretty much historic lows.

Finally, buy a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive, download either the free Seagate "Discwizard" or the free Maxtor "Maxblast" program from the Seagate website and clone your hard drive. If your original hard drive is a Seagate or Maxtor, you can get whatever brand you desire. The "Discwizard" and "Maxblast" software are stripped down versions of Acronis (version 8- I think) and do a superb job of HDD cloning but they do require that one of the drives in the cloning process be one of those brands. You can use the clone to experiment with the cleaning process and to try out new software combinations without risking the loss of anything on the original drive.

Good luck !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Major slowdown is often a sign of spyware or a virus. Run some sort of check on that and they don't always show as using CPU cycles in the task manager.

Garbage running the background.

You say your System Mechanic firewall was slowing you down. It works poorly with Bit Torrent clients. I have tried 6 different Internet security products and System Mechanic was the only one with that problem. Got BSOD's with it as well but it usually gets good reviews so I suspect it was a conflict specific to my PC. Two different Bit Torrent clients have mentioned Zone Alarm and Norton firewalls as having problems with Bit Torrent but I think they have fixed them as they both worked quite well for me. Only Iolo's firewall had a problem out the six I have tried.

File sharing is a MAJOR cause of problems on many PCs. Not the file sharing itself but the vast array of viruses and spyware the unwary download. MP3's that aren't really MP3's seem to be endemic.

Limewire the friend of Zombie makers and Bot-nets everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    System Analyzer - which is the chief component of System Mechanic - can slow a system considerably all by itself and there's no easy way to stop it from kicking-in when you least want it to. Earlier versions had an option to disable automatic scanning but that is missing from Version 7.
    Quote Quote