VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Canon camcoder HD but I am not happy with capturing. Are any special devices for direct capturing HD and DV from the cassettes and how I could buy it? My address is adanchev@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you need to use firewire(ieee1394). if your computer doesn't have a firewire port you can add a pci card for about US$10.00 and a firewire cable for around US$5.00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A simple program for streaming the HDV tape contents over IEEE-1394 to an M2T HDV file is HDVsplit.
    A simple program for streaming the DV tape contents over IEEE-1394 to a DV-AVI file is WinDV.

In both cases the resulting file is an exact duplicate of the video-audio data on tape.

The HDV file will be 1440x1080i @ 25fps. The DV file will be 720x576i @ 25 fps.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you capture through HDMI?
    HV30+Wide Angle HD Lens, Rode Stereo Mic, Manfrotto Tripod System, Canon ZR 850
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you familiar with Magic Bullet Instant HD pro 0.1 of Red Giant? Are dowloaded trial copy but it can not convert DV into HD?THe price is not high $99 but why should I spend it if it does not work? Please, comment your opinion if you have used it already. Why the trial copy does not work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jensen
    Can you capture through HDMI?
    Yes you can but this only has value for capping the camera section to uncompressed YCbCr over HDMI. Data rate will be close to 960Mb/s which will require either a two to three disk RAID zero or a realtime encoder (e.g. MJPEG, Cineform or MPeg) that can handle uncompressed input.

There is no point to capping from HDV tape decompressed over HDMI when 25Mb/s over IEEE-1394 gets full HDV quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adanchev
    Are you familiar with Magic Bullet Instant HD pro 0.1 of Red Giant? Are dowloaded trial copy but it can not convert DV into HD?THe price is not high $99 but why should I spend it if it does not work? Please, comment your opinion if you have used it already. Why the trial copy does not work?
    Magic Bullet Instant HD is for software upscale of DV video to HD formats. There is no point to using it with the HV20 since this camcorder can record direct to HDV format.
    http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/categories/enhancement/magic-bullet-instant-hd/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand but I have many old DV files I would like to use. Is it suitable for trasferring them into HD format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand but I have many old DV files I would like to use. Is it suitable for trasferring them into HD format?
    Yes if you need to edit DV together with HD material. If you just need to play DV or DVD files to an HDTV, the TV will upscale to TV screen resolution in hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I export HD movie with titles during the duration of the titles the format of the picture is squeezed, after the text ends the original format (full streen) is resotred. It can be used as a good effect, but in my case I would like to have normal size of the screen with and without titles. The old Premier has never created such problems, may be HD is confusing it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I export HD movie with titles during the duration of the titles the format of the picture is squeezed, after the text ends the original format (full streen) is resotred. It can be used as a good effect, but in my case I would like to have normal size of the screen with and without titles. The old Premier has never created such problems, may be HD is confusing it.
    I don't know what is causing that. Are you sure your project is set to wide?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean - set to wide?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere Pro project. When you spec "File" "New", you are presented with a project setting menu.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, sure. I made it wide. But there is probably some option in exporting to avoid this smashing of the image. In the time line it is ok - after I export it the ready movie has the problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a frame grab showing the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes. frame 1 shows the normal format. Frame 2 shows that happens when I add the title. By the way such effects I receive also when I try to add some other effects. What is the reason and how to avid it? Thank you.

frame2.bmp
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is frame 1

frame1.bmp
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May be I need another video card - specially constructed for editing HD?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear friends,
    Attached to my note is a short video file composed in HD setting. It consists of three parts which have the following problems:
    (a) In part one – the goats - When I put titles the format of the video is normal in the project but during the exporting it shrinks during the text appearance.
    (b) Part b – the dog is DV format
    (c) Part c – goats in the yard is DV which I transferred to HD using Red Giant software. I am not sure I am doing it correctly, but I do not see any improvement in the quality. The format is also small which is not good.
    I would appreciate if you could comment the problems.
    Alexi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still not understanding the "squeezed" problem.

If you are using an HDV project setting and the import video is HDV format, the video should preview from the timeline in 16:9 aspect ratio.

The actual HDV video has non-square pixels and will appear horizontally squeezed if viewed as square pixel. This is also true for wide DV format.

When you export encode, you need to specify the correct aspect ratio. If you are exporting to a square pixel format, you may need to scale the actual image from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your answer.
    It is really a puzzle I cannot solve yet.
    I export the movie in Microsoft avi format
    Use compressor 3ivx D4.5.1 Pro video Codec
    Pixel aspect ratio D1/DV NTSC (0/9)
    Size 1440 x 1080
    All the file is squeezed almost twice – a small window in the screen with a very good quality.
    May be my video card VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 host controller is not suitable for high definition.
    Thank you.
    With appreciation
    Alexi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your answer.
    It is really a puzzle I cannot solve yet.
    I export the movie in Microsoft avi format
    Use compressor 3ivx D4.5.1 Pro video Codec
    Pixel aspect ratio D1/DV NTSC (0/9)
    Size 1440 x 1080
    All the file is squeezed almost twice – a small window in the screen with a very good quality.
    May be my video card VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 host controller is not suitable for high definition.
    Thank you.
    With appreciation
    Alexi
    Most likely encoder or player settings not the display card.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a following problem with HD editing. When I import a clip called “Video clip” for editing there is no problem. When I import a clip saved after the capture as MPEG file it is imported in a size with cuts about the half of the frame showing only part of it. I suspect it might be as a result of capturing if I use MPEG-4 Video Codec instead of the standard 3ivx D4 4.5.1. Pro Video Codec. What do you think? Can MPEG files be adjusted for its full size?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorry - starting HD created big troubles as it is rather different that the DV - but of course once the problem is solved you enjoy an excellent quality. Sorry to distrub you so often, I appreciate all anwers.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made additional observations. The file which has no problems during the editing is avi format 720 x 576 (1.067). The file which frame is cut during exporting is mpeg format 1440 x 1080 (1.333). it is of better quality and I would like to use it but how to adjust it for editing not to lose part of the frame? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made additional observations. The file which has no problems during the editing is avi format 720 x 576 (1.067). The file which frame is cut during exporting is mpeg format 1440 x 1080 (1.333). it is of better quality and I would like to use it but how to adjust it for editing not to lose part of the frame? Thank you.
    Are you using (1440x1080i) HDV project settings or 720x576 DV wide project settings? Is the end goal an HD or SD file?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My project setting is HDV (1440x1080i).
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which setting would you recommend me for exporting HD movies?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your encoder can't handle aspect ratio flags reliably (or you can't figure out how to make it do so), then you need to export square pixels. The project can stay at 1440x1080, but the export should be 1280x720 square pixel (1:1 PAR) for example.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made the experiment with square pixels, but the Media Playyer Classic does not display it. If I try Windows Media Player it gives Insufficient system resourse exists to complete the required service. What's the matter?
    Quote Quote