VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have received my new DLT tape drive, installed it and in windows xp, when I go to the device manager, it's listing what appear to be 15 identical devices. When I go to the properties for them, I notice there is a tab called "Tape Symbolic Name" For each device listed, in its associated tab, there is tape0, tape1, tape2...tape14

Is this normal? I was just expecting there to be one device listed since I have one drive.

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like it installed some kind of jukebox layout for multiple tape cartridges, these often have a feature like this. Probably a way to disable it somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm diving into the 400+ page manual for this thing now.... It appears to have something to do with the SCSI ID, but I'm new to SCSI in general so I need to read up..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, solved the problem. Had the same SCSI ID selected for both the card and the drive. After changing it, everything appears to be working.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good deal. IDs and termination, two new things to deal with in SCSI systems. But they do work well once they are set up properly.

I still have a vintage Amiga computer that I may revive that uses SCSI peripherals. I have a SCSI flat bed scanner, an magneto-optical drive and a Zip drive. But my SCSI setup uses the huge Centronics 68 pin connectors and cables. I think I paid more for the scanner and the magneto-optical drive years ago than for my latest Windows PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    ok, solved the problem. Had the same SCSI ID selected for both the card and the drive. After changing it, everything appears to be working.
    Never forget the auto termination and master id of the scsi controller.

I started into the scsi world with my Amigas too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just received my DLT tapes in the mail, I didn't know they were so beefy/heavy.. Downloaded the utility to test the DLT so I'm going to run that and see how it goes..
    Quote Quote