VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    highness, google Daemon tools. It allows you to mount an ISO as a drive letter in the OS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok Noob here, so bare with me please. First of all thanks for this guide it is a great resource, I really appreciate it. I am trying to burn DVDs to my sons PSP. Never thought it would be this hard. I followed the above process and it seemed to work ok, however, when I play the encoded mp4 file in quick time or windows media player there is no audio. Also it turned out to be over 1 GB. Did I miss something in the process above where is the audio?

Couple questions about the XviD4PSP.
    1) Can I use this program to pull the data directly off the DVD or is this program used only for converting the VOB file that I got from the DVD decrypter program into the mp4 format.

2) Format selection. For a psp there were 3 different choices. Which one should I use and what are the different formats? The PSP firmware is 5.02

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It won't rip a protected DVD unless you have anyDVD installed.

Personally, I rip just the title I want to convert to my HDD, then convert from there. PSP AVC uses H264 for encoding, which will give you higher quality, but will take longer to encode. PSP ASP uses Xvid for video, which will encode much faster, and is better for older PCs. I can't see a difference between AVC and AVC TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that AVC does 480x272 which is the native screen resolution of the PSP whereas AVC TV does 720x480 but since the screen is 480x272 it does make sense that they would look the same.

Except AVC TV would look better on a TV when using the TV out ability of the PSP.

Please note I use XVID4PSP but don't have a PSP

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome forum !! Noobie here - trying to convert a DVD for playing on my LG DARE cell phone.

There is no specific selection for the LG DARE - but there are for the Blackberry RIMs ....

Curious if anyone knows which specific MP4 is needed for the DARE -- or should I just select the MP4 default (not phone specific) and take all the defaults???? The conversion of a DVD takes a loooooong time to accomplish, so just want to figure this out once without hours of trial and error...

Great Product !! Thank you ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LG Viewty and used the Prada preset to make playable Divx files. Might be worth a try.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    noob here...

just downloaded, installed and followed all instructions for an avi - Ipod Nano convert.

Problem is it shows up in iTunes but does not synch or copy to Ipod...any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

i have a very strange problem when trying to convert a dvd (ripped on hdd) with XVID4PSP into MP4 ipod video. The program encodes video and audio and when muxing starts i get this message "Error: " and process stops. What do you thing is the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Ok just wondering; I ripped a dvd with fab5 decryptor. Imported the dvd files to XviD4PSP. On indexing the error popped up YV12 (can't remember exactly) deinterlace codec? But my video is still encoding. Am I going to have problems on playback for my pda. Or what was the error?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrewMasterX
    noob here...

just downloaded, installed and followed all instructions for an avi - Ipod Nano convert.

Problem is it shows up in iTunes but does not synch or copy to Ipod...any ideas?
    Not enough information here. What type of iPod do you have i.e., the new current generation of iPod Nano's or an older model? Exactly what settings did you use when you encoded?

Also you are better off using the iPod MP4 H.264 profile not XviD AVI profile.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ubersoldat
    Hello all,

i have a very strange problem when trying to convert a dvd (ripped on hdd) with XVID4PSP into MP4 ipod video. The program encodes video and audio and when muxing starts i get this message "Error: " and process stops. What do you thing is the problem ?
    Originally Posted by cschoon
    Hello,

Ok just wondering; I ripped a dvd with fab5 decryptor. Imported the dvd files to XviD4PSP. On indexing the error popped up YV12 (can't remember exactly) deinterlace codec? But my video is still encoding. Am I going to have problems on playback for my pda. Or what was the error?

Thanks
    My response to both of these is "I really don't know" other than I've found that in my experience XVID4PSP can act rather odd when you attempt to import a ripped DVD i.e., the VIDEO_TS folder of DVD files.

I prefer to create my own D2V file then import that D2V file into XVID4PSP ... just make sure you use the same version of DGIndex as what XVID4PSP uses.

Also it helps that you are updated ... i.e., things like ffdshow for instance. Also make sure you have enough free HDD space. As an example ... If the output ends up being say 2GB then you will need an absolute minimum of 4GB free ... probably even more to account for O/S overheard like the Windows swap file etc.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am just diving into some of this and want to be able to stream Movies to my Xbox 360. I have Tversity loaded and setup and I used the default settings for Xvid4psp and when I select the file from the Xbox360 it fails to play. I can play the file over the network on my laptop in WMP11.
    Which do I need to choose in the audio part as I left it as default but when I use Gspot to look at the file type it shows mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 48000Hz 131 kb/s tot , 6 chnls (3/2 .1) which isn't supported by the xbox 360.

SO which audio option do I choose then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the source is 5.1 then it will create a 5.1 AAC-LC audio file even though you have the PS3 / XBOX 360 profile selected.

To change that you have to go into the audio editing option (selectable from a drop down list at the top) and change it to 2 channels and you have to select some sort of downmix (I would select stereo or better yet Dolby Pro Logic II downmix). You probably also want to normalize the audio (I use 98% as 100% could induce clipping).

In short it should end up looking like this:

Make sure you select APPLY and let it do it's thing (might take a lil bit) then when it is done you can select OK and then do whatever (ENCODE) from there.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I will try this again on the same VOB file I originally did.

Then I will compare this against the Handbrake rip to see if I prefer one over the other.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to be getting an error entitled "you don't have YU12 decorder" which I do, or at least think I do as, when I first tried this software a month ago I installed it.
    I try encoding [a rip on my HDD] I get the following:

x264 [error]: could not open input file 'D:\Temp\0007.avs'

This is despite opening the VIDEO_TS file within my ripped movie.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Will

EDIT:

After a bit more searching I seem to have fixed my problem using this method.
    Thanks anyway, and thanks for a very useful guide.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I keep aspect ratio of movie - example I ripped I Robot and it is all stretched out.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, am still very new to all this stuff.

Was wondering, if it's possible to queue a few files for conversion using xvid4psp.

Also, what's the difference between say xvid 2p 512k extreme and xvid 2p 512k ultra?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, no queue/batch. I would probably use handbrake if you want a queue function.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can queue in XVID4PSP. Open your first file, set it up however you want it to output. Hit Save instead of Encode. Rinse and repeat. Hit encode when you are ready to go. It is more painful than something like Handbrake because it will need to go through indexing, etc, but you can queue up a bunch of stuff at once.

I have had problems when ripping from files from some DVDs that use multiple program streams rather than separating the episodes into different VTS. For instance, Dexter has 4 episodes per disc (only have CC not subs which is why I used XVID4PSP to burn them in) and I can only do two episodes per discs at a time. If I set up all 4, it will convert the first two but the 2nd two will be skipped.

Jason
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Prism (http://nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html) for the same purpose for years now.
    Easy and fast program. Would love to see a comparison between them all...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    This guide describes the basic steps how to convert to MP4 AVC/H264 for devices like the iPod, PSP, PS3, XboX360, iPhone, Blackberry, Nokia, SonyEricsson, etc with optional burned / permanent / hardcoded subtitles using FREE tools.

Tools required
    .Net Framework 3
    XviD4PSP
    DVDFab DEcrypter(For DVD sources)

Preparation
    Install first .Net Framework 3 and then XviD4PSP.
    If you are going to convert from a DVD then use the free DVDFab Decrypter to rip the DVD to your HDD.
    If you want burned in subtitles then must you have an external subtitle file like srt/sub. You can extract subtitles from mkv using mkvextractgui.
    If you want burned in subtitles from a DVD source you must extract the subtitles using VSRip first, read this guide

Guide
    1. Open your video source, XviD4PSP supports most formats like AVI, MKV, RM, MOV, WMV,DVR-MS, MPG, VOB, DVD etc. To open a DVD click on the DVD-tab and choose the VIDEO_TS folder where you ripped the DVD to your HDD.
    2. Choose your MP4 format, like MP4 XboX 360, MP4 iPod, etc
    3. Under Video Encoding can you change video quality encoding settings, for best quality leave it as X264 HQ Ultra. For faster encoding you can choose X264 1P 4000k. If you want smaller output file size choose lower bitrate like X264 1P 768k(the 768k = video bitrate) or click on the E next to the Video Encoding tab and manually lower the bitrate. You can use a bitrate calculator to calculate the exact output file size.
    4. Subtitles, choose Subtitles from the menu to load external subtitles from srt, sub/idx,etc.
    5. Cick on Save to save the current task. You can now load another source and set settings.
    6. Last Hit Encode to convert your video.

Done.
    i followed this guide exactly for my xbox 360 it created an mp4 file which does not even show up on my xbox...?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey All...newb here... does Xvid4PSP also convert wmv files that I downloaded from Amazon Video on Demand "unbox" that has DRM?

Any info will be great! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Does anyone know why my audio and video would be out of sync? I followed the guide as it said.
    Quote Quote  
  24. OK, XVID4PSP supports MKV to iPhone, which is what I'm looking for. But the subtitles on my MKVs are bundled in, not external. Is there any way to have the tool use the packaged subtitles so I don't have to extract them first every time? If not, is there any other tool that would handle this conversion?

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EwanG
    OK, XVID4PSP supports MKV to iPhone, which is what I'm looking for. But the subtitles on my MKVs are bundled in, not external. Is there any way to have the tool use the packaged subtitles so I don't have to extract them first every time? If not, is there any other tool that would handle this conversion?

TIA!
    Maybe minicoder, but it's still kinda buggy. Or else it might work directly with xvid4psp if you have installed vsfilter and haali media splitter(if now xvid4psp uses directshowsource for mkv as default).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Minicoder crashed hard even after going through and making sure everything was updated and it was set to run as administrator. XVID4PSP did not seem to care for the extracted subtitles file created by MKVTools. So, guess I'm SOL
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consider Handbrake. They are in the final testing of the next release that will allow softsubs if you are interested in that, but it sounds like you might be ok with burned-in subs (which the current version 0.9.3 handles fine). Handbrake can read the subtitles and burn them in without needing to extract them first.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Installed the current Handbrake. It runs long enough to put up a status window that says something about a Stack Dump, and then closes. Output is a 1K file. Not sure if the problem is running it under Windows 7, or that I have a 64-bit machine and OS, or that I have 12 gigs of RAM, or that it doesn't handle Subtitles embedded in the MKV properly.

But so far I've found no tool that seems to handle this well (if at all). Have to wonder if most folks just give up and try to find DL sites for stuff. I suppose I should be less stubborn and do the same, but I really have to think there ought to be SOME way to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Here's the Handbrake log in case anyone is interested:
    Code:
    ### Windows GUI 0.9.3 2008112300 
    ### Running: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0 
    ###
    ### CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         965  @ 3.20GHz 
    ### Ram: 4086 MB 
    ### Screen: 1920x1080 
    ### Temp Dir: C:\Users\EwanG\AppData\Local\Temp\ 
    ### Install Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\HandBrake 
    ### Data Dir: C:\Users\EwanG\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.9.3.0 
    #########################################

### CLI Query:  -i "F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv" -t 1 -c 1 -o "F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05.m4v" -f m4v -w 480 -e x264 -q 0.59 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -D 1 -U  --markers="C:\Users\EwanG\AppData\Local\Temp\[SFW]_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv-1-chapters.csv" -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1 -v 
    #########################################
    [11:35:15] hb_init: checking cpu count
    [11:35:15] hb_init: starting libhb thread
    HandBrake 0.9.3 (2008112300) - http://handbrake.fr/
    8 CPUs detected
    Opening F:\Downloads\[SFW]_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv...
    [11:35:15] hb_scan: path=F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv, title_index=1
    [11:35:15] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
    [11:35:15] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
    Input #0, matroska, from 'F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv':
      Duration: 00:24:00.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
        Stream #0.0(jpn): Video: h264, yuv420p, 640x480, 23.98 tb(r)
        Stream #0.1(jpn): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
        Stream #0.2(eng): Subtitle: 0x0000
        Stream #0.3: Attachment: 0x0000
        Stream #0.4: Attachment: 0x0000
        Stream #0.5: Attachment: 0x0000
        Stream #0.6: Attachment: 0x0000
        Stream #0.7: Attachment: 0x0000
        Stream #0.8: Attachment: 0x0000
    [11:35:15] scan: decoding previews for title 1
    [11:35:16] scan: 10 previews, 640x480, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 4:3, PAR 1:1
    [11:35:16] scan: title (0) job->width:640, job->height:480
    [11:35:16] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
    + title 1:
      + vts 0, ttn 0, cells 0->0 (0 blocks)
      + duration: 00:24:00
      + size: 640x480, aspect: 1.33, 23.976 fps
      + autocrop: 0/0/0/0
      + chapters:
        + 1: cells 0->0, 0 blocks, duration 00:24:00
      + audio tracks:
        + 1, Japanese (AAC)
      + subtitle tracks:
    Reading chapter markers from file C:\Users\EwanG\AppData\Local\Temp\[SFW]_Queens_Blade_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv-1-chapters.csv
    Subtitle Scan Enabled - enabling subtitles if found for foreign language segments
    [11:35:16] 2 job(s) to process
    [11:35:16] starting job
    [11:35:16] job configuration:
    [11:35:16]  * source
    [11:35:16]    + F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv
    [11:35:16]    + title 1, chapter(s) 1 to 1
    [11:35:16]    + container: matroska
    [11:35:16]  * destination
    [11:35:16]    + F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05.m4v
    [11:35:16]    + container: MPEG-4 (.mp4 and .m4v)
    [11:35:16]      + chapter markers
    [11:35:16]  * video track
    [11:35:16]    + decoder: h264
    [11:35:16]    + frame rate: same as source (around 23.976 fps)
    [11:35:16]    + dimensions: 640 * 480 -> 480 * 368, crop 0/0/0/0
    [11:35:16] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
    [11:35:16] sync: expecting 34549 video frames
    [11:35:16] reader: first SCR 0
    [11:35:21] reader: done. 1 scr changes
    [11:35:21] sync: got 0 frames, 34549 expected
    [11:35:21] work: average encoding speed for job is 0.000000 fps
    [11:35:21] h264-decoder done: 0 frames, 0 decoder errors, 0 drops
    [11:35:21] render: lost time: 0 (0 frames)
    [11:35:21] render: gained time: 0 (0 frames) (0 not accounted for)
    [11:35:21] starting job
    [11:35:21] work: sanitizing track 0 mixdown Dolby Pro Logic II to Stereo
    [11:35:21] job configuration:
    [11:35:21]  * source
    [11:35:21]    + F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05_[74E6A346].mkv
    [11:35:21]    + title 1, chapter(s) 1 to 1
    [11:35:21]    + container: matroska
    [11:35:21]  * destination
    [11:35:21]    + F:\Downloads\[SFW]_S2_-_05.m4v
    [11:35:21]    + container: MPEG-4 (.mp4 and .m4v)
    [11:35:21]      + chapter markers
    [11:35:21]  * video track
    [11:35:21]    + decoder: h264
    [11:35:21]    + frame rate: same as source (around 23.976 fps)
    [11:35:21]    + dimensions: 640 * 480 -> 480 * 368, crop 0/0/0/0
    [11:35:21]    + encoder: x264
    [11:35:21]      + options: level=30:cabac=0:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1
    [11:35:21]      + quality: 0.59
    [11:35:21]  * audio track 0
    [11:35:21]    + decoder: Japanese (AAC) (track 1, id 1)
    [11:35:21]    + mixdown: Stereo
    [11:35:21]    + encoder: faac
    [11:35:21]      + bitrate: 128 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
    [11:35:21] encx264: keyint-min: 24, keyint-max: 240
    [11:35:21] encx264: Encoding at constant RF 20.910001
    x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 PHADD SSE4.2
    x264 [info]: profile Baseline, level 3.0
    [11:35:21] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
    [11:35:21] sync: expecting 34549 video frames
    [11:35:21] reader: first SCR 0
          3 [unknown (0x1620)] HandBrakeCLI 6864 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
      34794 [unknown (0x1620)] HandBrakeCLI 6864 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump
    I notice it says 4 Gigs of RAM when I have 12 Gigs of RAM in this machine. So I'm suspicious that may have something to do with this.

FWIW...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Sorry for another post, but wanted to add that I've just tried the SVN 2907 version of Handbrake, and that runs and produced a video - but without subtitles. So closer, but still not quite there.
    Quote Quote